• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Wearing Watch Over Your Sleeve

RWI27

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
19/12/12
I was in a hurry to take an exam this morning, it was pretty cold out and so I just threw on a sweater, grabbed my watch and walked out the door. I was about to lift my sleeve to put on my PAM until I realized I would have to either wear my watch under the sleeve or pull up my sleeve, either leaving me constantly pulling up my sleeve or ruining the shirt by keeping the sleeve up. That's when I put my PAM over my sweater sleeve and just went up a notch, problem solved.

So I was wondering, is it considered the norm to wear a watch in this fashion when appropriate (i.e. winter wear)? Isn't that why most diver watches have a winter extension to fit over the layers of clothing? I read a article linked below that states a VIP at Cartier wore his watch in this style, noting it was a "Italian" trend.

http://perfectgentlemansa.blogspot.com/2010/12/wrist-watch-on-shirt-cuff.html

iggypop

I'm Pretty Popular
27/9/12
Ive seen this done with natos
My professor wears his "timex weekender" on top of his dress shirts
personally not for me even when I wear a nato. to me itd look odd if i saw it in a regular class and would "sneer" at it lololol but if it was exams then I'd let it pass. Its exams anything goes. Ive seen some weird f*** shit kids bring to exams.
But if you like it then go for it
its you who wears it
:cheers:

Aero_Dave

28/1/13
Personally, I would never wear it like that. But to each their own I guess.

Dave...

atothej81

Renowned Member
6/1/13
I think it makes sense with a sweater if you don't want to stretch out the sleeve opening.

Ballface

20/6/12
I sometimes wear my U1 over a jacket sleeve. But over a dress shirt? Nah.

RWI27

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
19/12/12
To me itd look odd if i saw it in a regular class and would "sneer" at it lololol but if it was exams then I'd let it pass.

I don't essentially like the look, it was more of a function over fashion as I had to keep looking at my watch to see how much time I had left. As I left class I was just wondering if anyone was giving me weird looks or what was going through their minds if anything at all.

I would never wear it over the sleeve of a dress shirt of course as I make sure I get the right size or have my sleeves fitted.

imakemoney

You're Saying I Can Sell?
10/2/13
You mean the Agnelli way? I would not wear it like that personally though...

gianni-agnelli_092808.jpg

iggypop

I'm Pretty Popular
27/9/12
You mean the Agnelli way? I would not wear it like that personally though...

gianni-agnelli_092808.jpg

I'm 18 if I was 50 yrs. old and owner of fiat i would wear it like that.

and i take that comment i made eariler back

sneer isnt the right word. makes me sound snobby so sorry lol

ViperGTS

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
1/1/10
i dont like the way it looks when its over the sleeve.

Z3BR4

Renowned Member
16/5/12
The most interesting man in the world on wearing your watch over your shirt sleeve....

24808155.jpg

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
When on the slopes I wear a watch over the sleeve of my mid-layers, under my shell. If it's under all the layers it's too difficult to expose with my gloves on.

Interstingly, the watch is a T-Touch and the bracelet has an extension, so it's easily done.

No poll response for "sometimes," as over a wet suit sleeve. Bracelet extensions and extra long straps exist for practical reasons. Tool watches and all that?

Spboudart

Put Some Respect On My Name
26/9/08
Every time I go diving I put it over the sleeve of the wet suit....

Wacker23

I'm Pretty Popular
22/8/09
I was looking at Laurent Ferrier watches once and the douche that worked there had one built into his shirt sleeve.

Aldo69

I'm Pretty Popular
29/10/12
Nope, no way, nada, nup. Cannae do it. Even wi one of them dodgy shirts with the cutaway cuff, nope. Dont Dae It. (Appols fpr the angry Scots tone) hahaha

Aldo69

I'm Pretty Popular
29/10/12
When on the slopes I wear a watch over the sleeve of my mid-layers, under my shell. If it's under all the layers it's too difficult to expose with my gloves on.

Interstingly, the watch is a T-Touch and the bracelet has an extension, so it's easily done.

No poll response for "sometimes," as over a wet suit sleeve. Bracelet extensions and extra long straps exist for practical reasons. Tool watches and all that?

For utilitarian reasons, ie skiing, or especially DIVING, its obvious that one would do it, but seriously, could ye rock it, at the weekend, in town, shopping??? Or in the pub wi the lads???
NO WAY, ye'd get slaughtered. Hahaha