• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ZZF V2 Bezel not flush

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
So, here's the final result:
Z9Xi5b.jpg

That looks really nice overall bro and you are right about the ZZF crystal sitting a little low compared to gen. My insert is recessed a little and my crystal sits above the bezel so I'm not bothered by it.

Z94ik2.jpg

I think a 3mm gasket will put the crystal higher than where a gen sits. Gen gasket is 2.8mm IIRC.

Z94mJE.jpg

Raising the crystal increases the date window mag, something to be considered when contemplating this option. Top pic shows cyclops alignment for scale accuracy to stock ZZF, bottom pic is date window alignment.

Z94aOt.jpg

In the end we all have to do what makes us happy and like I said yours looks really nice. Great job on the paint mod, I should try that brand of paint. Thanks for sharing about the WSO hytrel ring, I've been using mine as random spacers or fillers since they don't fit any other bezels I've tried them on.

As a side note, the insert support ring under the insert can have a little shaved off the bottom of it to lower the insert some if someone isn't brave or skilled enough to sand down the ceramic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hinclimincli

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
Thanks for the comments mate! Yours looks really impressive too, and your insert looks amazing! You are absolutely right regarding the relationship between magnification and crystal height indeed. I actually have a 2,8mm ring as it’s the one I had on my Ginault with a genuine crystal installed.

I have now changed that crystal to a flat Clarks without crystal so maybe I could get the 2,8mm on the 116610LN and the 3mm on the Ginault (as Clarks’ crystals are slightly slimmer than original Rolex’s, thus Clark’s + 3mm gasket ends up being gen height).

But I actually like it when the crystal sides show up a bit, I find it aesthetically very pleasing, so I’m not too sure, ha.

Reactions: KJ2020

stunew78

Horology Curious
18/7/15
After prying my bezel off the retaining ring and crystal stayed in place again, which I'm always happy about. The retaining ring looked ever so slightly non-flush on one end so I pressed it down firmly before proceeding any further. An old 16570 Explorer II bezel is perfect for pressing 29.5mm Rolex crystal retaining rings.

ZyCo51.jpg

ZyCaTK.jpg

ZyCi0v.jpg

ZyCL1Q.jpg

The ZZF hytrel ring is flush on the inner perimeter and has a stairstep profile on the outer perimeter.

ZyCeML.jpg

ZyCWo8.jpg

The gasket groove has an upper border that protrudes further out than the lower border. The gasket goes in with the "top step" oriented DOWN, toward the case.

Edit: This was originally stated incorrectly, I put it all back together and it fit flush but wouldn't rotate. So I had to pull it apart again and flip the gasket. D'oh.

ZyC5gR.jpg

Below are the measurements I took. I measured the gasket several different times and ways, in place for some, removed for others. All of the measurements have been rounded slightly for ease of computation and for symmetry. I believe a gasket made to these specs will work. All units are in mm.

OD bottom 33
OD top 32.25
ID 31.5
Height .75
Thickness .75
Step height and width .375

ZyCqBj.jpg

This this has been done before on a different watch by our forum master watchmaker Tickleshoes, so hopefully I gave you accurate enough info to succeed. Good luck!
Hi KJ2020,

I’m trying to confirm If the top step of the Hytrel ring (the shortest width dimension of 31.5mm) is to be oriented down towards the case, or up? Could you please advise?

thank You

stunew78

Horology Curious
18/7/15
@KJ2020
Hi KJ2020,

I’m trying to confirm If the top step of the Hytrel ring (the shortest width dimension of 31.5mm) is to be oriented down towards the case, or up? Could you please advise?

thank You
@KJ2020 wondering if you could advise on the above? Appreciate your advice.