• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Zf Seamaster A8800 rotor silencing [steps photos included]

Jrich14

Do not accept unsolicited offers
28/7/22
Would anyone know how to re attach the little snowflake piece. I can put it back on there, but it falls right off.

Caboose

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
27/2/15
CONUS
Just did mine. Definitely some improvement in the noise. I had no need to re-deco the screw.

Valaj

15/3/23
Illinois
Just did mine. Definitely some improvement in the noise. I had no need to re-deco the screw.
I got mine done in May. It was a game changer. It's still very silent and I'm so glad it worked. I hated how loud it was.

applez

Known Member
5/8/14
Florida
Late post to this older thread...is the rotor screw threaded normally, clockwise to tighten, counter-clockwise to loosen, and not reverse threaded? I would strongly guess normal-threaded

Snooky

Came for the reps, stayed for the banter!
Supporter
Certified
23/11/23
UK
Massive kudos @Kup1712 and everyone else in this thread. I’ve just attempted to add a few drops of mobeius to my rotor to help with the noise and it’s helped massively. And it sounds a lot more healthy now (not metal grinding on metal). I never thought I’d be taking case backs off and tinkering movements without the help of this thread.

I do think I’ve been very frugal though as I can still hear a little noise, but I’m guessing that’s normal and I’m not bothered compared to how it was. Though I would appreciate if the more seasoned amongst us could let me know if this is a job that’s required every few months or so? I don’t want to over lube it…

Reactions: Valaj and Caboose

Valaj

15/3/23
Illinois
Massive kudos @Kup1712 and everyone else in this thread. I’ve just attempted to add a few drops of mobeius to my rotor to help with the noise and it’s helped massively. And it sounds a lot more healthy now (not metal grinding on metal). I never thought I’d be taking case backs off and tinkering movements without the help of this thread.

I do think I’ve been very frugal though as I can still hear a little noise, but I’m guessing that’s normal and I’m not bothered compared to how it was. Though I would appreciate if the more seasoned amongst us could let me know if this is a job that’s required every few months or so? I don’t want to over lube it…

Some noise is normal in all mechanical watches (obviously unless you mean it's more than normal). Mine isn't pin-drop silent. But it's VERY quiet compared to how it was and quiet compared to my gen Omegas as well!

Reactions: Snooky

Snooky

Came for the reps, stayed for the banter!
Supporter
Certified
23/11/23
UK
Some noise is normal in all mechanical watches (obviously unless you mean it's more than normal). Mine isn't pin-drop silent. But it's VERY quiet compared to how it was and quiet compared to my gen Omegas as well!
Yeah you’re 100% right, it’s way quieter than what it was. Before it sounded like a rusted yoyo that really didn’t want to be yoyo’ed. I hear the bracelet make more noise than the rotor now that it’s been oiled :giggle:

Reactions: Valaj

Valaj

15/3/23
Illinois
Yeah you’re 100% right, it’s way quieter than what it was. Before it sounded like a rusted yoyo that really didn’t want to be yoyo’ed. I hear the bracelet make more noise than the rotor now that it’s been oiled :giggle:
Give the bracelet an oil bath. That'll make it less squeaky. I also got the edges of mine smoothened (it was sharp OOTB). Did both and it's as good as the gen bracelet now.

• Love
Reactions: Snooky

mapimages

Getting To Know The Place
7/8/23
Jacksonville, FL
I do not have the stones to do this myself, but I am going to assume a local watch repair watch smith can handle this job if I walk in and ask to silence the rotor. While at it, ask to iwaterproof?

lovegensandreps

Kodo Constant-Force Tourbillon rep when?
Supporter
Certified
22/9/22
EU
To make it "waterproof" you have to glue He valve with epoxy.
Nope you don't, I tested mine at a watchsmith with the pressure machine and it maxed the 10 bars of it (100 meters). I wear it daily in the shower and I have swam with it in the summer.

Reactions: mapimages

Kup1712

Renowned Member
Certified
20/1/21
Nope you don't, I tested mine at a watchsmith with the pressure machine and it maxed the 10 bars of it (100 meters). I wear it daily in the shower and I have swam with it in the summer.
Zf or vsf