• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ZF RM055. Winding has 0 friction like my Rolex/how to fix studder

Ctheodores

Horology Curious
31/8/23
Just got a Bubba RM055 (ZF factory).

Two questions I have - when popping the crown out to the first position to wind there is 0 friction (feels buttery smooth) unlike my Rolex reps. Is this normal?

2nd question - the second hand stutters (seems they all do this). Is there a fix to that ?

GiantSquid

Renowned Member
18/9/19
Winding position is crown fully-in for that movement. I believe the first position is a ghost date (the NH05 comes with a datewheel in its usual config) and crown fully-out is timesetting. So effectively there should be no friction in first position because it's not actually doing anything!

Stuart Pitt

Supporter
Certified
29/5/21
US
ZF's Bubba 55 with the 3 Hz Seiko NH05A stutters, the Yas Marina Circuit 55 (and maybe a second version of the Bubba) has a different 4 Hz movement that doesn't.
You can recognize the 4 Hz movement if it protrudes further out from behind the gears at 8:30.

GiantSquid

Renowned Member
18/9/19
ZF's Bubba 55 with the 3 Hz Seiko NH05A stutters, the Yas Marina Circuit 55 (and maybe a second version of the Bubba) has a different 4 Hz movement that doesn't.
You can recognize the 4 Hz movement if it protrudes further out from behind the gears at 8:30.
The way I usually ID the hi-beat movement (which I think is a Citizen 6Tsomething) is by the balance jewel directly behind the deco balance wheel. If there's a big red jewel behind the fake balance on the deco, it's the hi-beat. If there's no jewel, it's a Seiko. Never really noticed the increased size @ 8:30 but you're totally right, it does stick out more!

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
??

Reactions: TESLA760

positivitony

Renowned Member
Certified
8/7/14
same issue here, i just dont stare at it and the problem stops :)

Ctheodores

Horology Curious
31/8/23
https://forum.replica-watch.info/threads/fixing-of-the-stuttering-of-second’s-hand-of-rm035-02-zf-v3-nh05-movement.9410788/

Is this not the correct way to fix it?

Ctheodores

Horology Curious
31/8/23
Sorry. Friction spring. That is the part that it says to bend. Not the balance wheel

GiantSquid

Renowned Member
18/9/19
Sorry. Friction spring. That is the part that it says to bend. Not the balance wheel
I believe that would be the fix for the Seiko-based movements, but from what I hear it's a super fiddly adjustment and not for beginners. When you first said "bend the balance wheel" I think I had a mini heart attack from reading lololol. Glad you're not gonna do that!

Ctheodores

Horology Curious
31/8/23
I believe that would be the fix for the Seiko-based movements, but from what I hear it's a super fiddly adjustment and not for beginners. When you first said "bend the balance wheel" I think I had a mini heart attack from reading lololol. Glad you're not gonna do that!
Ok, I’ll leave it alone and trust you.

I do know how to regulate a watch. It’s 20 s/d so that I’m going to do

GiantSquid

Renowned Member
18/9/19
Regulating is one thing, but taking off all the deco and bending the friction spring enough to make it not stutter but not enough to make it stop the seconds hand is a super annoying and fiddly process. If you want to give it a try, go ahead! But it's not for the faint of heart.

As for movements, the v1 Bubba uses a Seiko NH05a with the rotor taken off. The ZF carbon 55s use a Citizen 6Tsomething, and I believe the Bubba v2 also runs a Seiko although someone's going to need to confirm since I can't remember offhand. Easiest way to tell for me is the presence of a big red jewel behind the fake balance on the front. If there is a jewel, it's the Citizen, if there's no jewel it's the Seiko.

Ctheodores

Horology Curious
31/8/23
Regulating is one thing, but taking off all the deco and bending the friction spring enough to make it not stutter but not enough to make it stop the seconds hand is a super annoying and fiddly process. If you want to give it a try, go ahead! But it's not for the faint of heart.

As for movements, the v1 Bubba uses a Seiko NH05a with the rotor taken off. The ZF carbon 55s use a Citizen 6Tsomething, and I believe the Bubba v2 also runs a Seiko although someone's going to need to confirm since I can't remember offhand. Easiest way to tell for me is the presence of a big red jewel behind the fake balance on the front. If there is a jewel, it's the Citizen, if there's no jewel it's the Seiko.
Can you walk me through how to regulate this watch? ZF RM055. I have the case off it just looks way different than my Rolex I just regulated. Maybe circle what part I’m supposed to move ?