• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ZF Black Bay Pro

j2k

You're Saying I Can Sell?
9/2/23
Canada
I've seen a few people mention this. You could emry the points of contact, at the point where friction holds it together, just a little bit to take the sharpness off the edge, it'll give a smoother action. Just don't over do it!
Ugh, should have just listened to you, day one! It's been over 2 weeks now still impossibly hard to open after, DAILY wear. coarse side of emry board helped alleviate the tightness a little bit, however the polishing side...

I used the smooth polishing side of the board on sharp edges of the bracelet and clasp... and wow. I made sure not to over do it, but when I closed my eyes and touched the stropped side vs stock side, it was night and day. No more razor sharp edges, everything feels like it was finished by hand.

Reactions: restandrelaxation

restandrelaxation

Certified
2/3/23
Northern Ireland
Ugh, should have just listened to you, day one! It's been over 2 weeks now still impossibly hard to open after, DAILY wear. coarse side of emry board helped alleviate the tightness a little bit, however the polishing side...

I used the smooth polishing side of the board on sharp edges of the bracelet and clasp... and wow. I made sure not to over do it, but when I closed my eyes and touched the stropped side vs stock side, it was night and day. No more razor sharp edges, everything feels like it was finished by hand.
Brilliant, it just makes such a difference. Hope it helps you enjoy your watch even more👍

Do you have a picture of the board you used? Or do you know what grade emry paper was used on it?
I'm thinking for others reading and wanting to do the same.

Last edited:

j2k

9/2/23
Canada
Brilliant, it just makes such a difference. Hope it helps you enjoy your watch even more👍

Do you have a picture of the board you used? Or do you know what grade emry paper was used on it?
I'm thinking for others reading and wanting to do the same.

This isn't the exact one I used, but as you can see there is a (buff 3, and polish 4) side to the board. I used the finest density. It works for polishing PCL and getting tarnish off silver.
Didn't think of using it on my sharp edges earlier....

mien

Horology Curious
19/2/22
Hey guys! Thanks to the posts and pics in this thread I got myself the BB Pro as well.

Overall, I think it's solid, worth the price (paid 325EUR shipped) and I'm happy with it! Having said that, let's scrutinize this puppy.

ZF does the case very well, great brushing and polishing and very precise lugs. If only VSF had cases like that...
The dial and hands are matte but without much texture, which gives a more sterile impression in comparison to the Tudor, which has a bit more character. The dial on mine is perfectly centered.
The crystal is okay, but I believe that it is what gives all the ZF BBs this washed out look. A better crystal could take this watch to whole new level.

The bracelet links are fine while the clasp is very difficult to use and feels sharp and cheap. Maybe that can be fixed with sanding, no idea. The finishing on the inside of the clasp looks cheap. The soft middle section (step) of the end links is another thing to note and a deal breaker for me personally. So I just put it on a rubber strap (Bonetto Cinturini, great quality supposedly made in Italy).
I can confirm that the crown is slighly difficult to move between positions and that the spring bars are slighly too thin.

It could be interesting for QC to know that some of the single digit dates are slighly left aligned (for example the 7), but the double digits 10 to 31 are all good.

Cheers, I hope this was helpful.

nicmend

Certified
24/3/18
I have had my bb pro for a couple months and it has been my daily wear, very happy so far even though I am also experiencing the T clasp and crown issues. So far I have pried the t clasp with something flat when I was not able to open it with my nails, but I'll try sa ding it a bit. Thanks for the tips!

GMT+9Tokyo

14/1/20
Germany
Great rep, it's a shame that the gen is so thic
Hey guys! Thanks to the posts and pics in this thread I got myself the BB Pro as well.

Overall, I think it's solid, worth the price (paid 325EUR shipped) and I'm happy with it! Having said that, let's scrutinize this puppy.

ZF does the case very well, great brushing and polishing and very precise lugs. If only VSF had cases like that...
The dial and hands are matte but without much texture, which gives a more sterile impression in comparison to the Tudor, which has a bit more character. The dial on mine is perfectly centered.
The crystal is okay, but I believe that it is what gives all the ZF BBs this washed out look. A better crystal could take this watch to whole new level.

The bracelet links are fine while the clasp is very difficult to use and feels sharp and cheap. Maybe that can be fixed with sanding, no idea. The finishing on the inside of the clasp looks cheap. The soft middle section (step) of the end links is another thing to note and a deal breaker for me personally. So I just put it on a rubber strap (Bonetto Cinturini, great quality supposedly made in Italy).
I can confirm that the crown is slighly difficult to move between positions and that the spring bars are slighly too thin.

It could be interesting for QC to know that some of the single digit dates are slighly left aligned (for example the 7), but the double digits 10 to 31 are all good.

Cheers, I hope this was helpful.

Great rep for the price. I could live with the flaws you mentioned. It's a shame that gen is so thick :)

RepWatchNoob

Known Member
3/5/18
EU
Great rep, it's a shame that the gen is so thic

Great rep for the price. I could live with the flaws you mentioned. It's a shame that gen is so thick :)
I own the gen and to be honest you really don’t feel the sickness. Compared to my gen gmt it wears much more comfortable. Now in summer I even wear more the pro because of the t-fit :).

GMT+9Tokyo

14/1/20
Germany
I own the gen and to be honest you really don’t feel the sickness. Compared to my gen gmt it wears much more comfortable. Now in summer I even wear more the pro because of the t-fit :).
I am definitely interested. Will have to try it on again.

mapimages

7/8/23
Jacksonville, FL
About to pull the trigger on this piece. Great price and from my reading this thread, it’s a pretty stellar rep.

Just looking for some feedback on those who have had this watch for a while now. Still a piece you enjoy or has it found the bottom of your collection lol

SamiJ

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
19/7/23
NY
Looks great, how would you say the quality of materials compare to a gen?

j2k

9/2/23
Canada
Unfortunately I do not know, but I don't think they would ask you for a serial number to get a nato strap. I would say to just try your luck.
Anyways here you can buy one
Seems quite a steep price to me though
So I’ve owned my bbp on its bracelet for a couple months now, but I really want an oem hybrid strap. Td wants to know the serial and asks me to bring the watch in. Ugh what to do, what to do.

pip72

21/2/19
How long is the power reserve? are the end links solid on the ZF bracelet?