• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Yikes... question about rotor

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
Make sure it's not inside the watch movement. They sometimes end up hiding in there. Don't look in there with a magnet though...

I learned a long time ago to work on a clean sheet of white paper for when things jump. Also, I have a white tile floor under my desk so it's easier to find the little buggers. But I've searched my desk for hours looking for a small part that will just re-appear days or weeks later. It's amazing how quickly and easily those little screws can disappear.

Yes you can buy them. You can check the ETA parts document. >>Here you go. I'm not sure it's listed as the first part number or the second when you buy them. I think they are usually listed by the first one, 51134, and the second listing is Rolex customer service number.

Nr. CS Nr.
51134 12.030.01 2x Screw for automatic device framework

PeteTO

Renowned Member
14/7/06
Make sure it's not inside the watch movement. They sometimes end up hiding in there. Don't look in there with a magnet though...

I learned a long time ago to work on a clean sheet of white paper for when things jump. Also, I have a white tile floor under my desk so it's easier to find the little buggers. But I've searched my desk for hours looking for a small part that will just re-appear days or weeks later. It's amazing how quickly and easily those little screws can disappear.

Yes you can buy them. You can check the ETA parts document. >>Here you go. I'm not sure it's listed as the first part number or the second when you buy them. I think they are usually listed by the first one, 51134, and the second listing is Rolex customer service number.

Nr. CS Nr.
51134 12.030.01 2x Screw for automatic device framework

ETA Parts document? ok... i will search online and this forum. Im sure others have had this issue.

Thanks again KBH.. i got er running again minus the rotor. gonna be manual for a bit!

Pete

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
Ofrei.com if you were in the US. But they have $15 minimum order and I think they only ship EMS to Canada at about $44. The screw is listed at $3. A quick search for ETA 51134 found it.

You need to find a place for watch parts in Canada or maybe find a forum member that has some spare parts. I'll dig around tomorrow morning and look but I really doubt it.

PeteTO

Renowned Member
14/7/06
Ofrei.com if you were in the US. But they have $15 minimum order and I think they only ship EMS to Canada at about $44. The screw is listed at $3. A quick search for ETA 51134 found it.

You need to find a place for watch parts in Canada or maybe find a forum member that has some spare parts. I'll dig around tomorrow morning and look but I really doubt it.

you have gone above and beyond sir. I have family in the US that are coming up late feb so maybe i will try to get it shipped there. I appreciate everything you have done. thank you again. Wanted to give you more rep but it wouldn't let me!!! its the thought that counts i guess hehe

Pete

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
I just wish your first attempt at repair had been a success. I don't see any reason why your auto winding isn't working at this point once you get the proper screw. If the rotor is turning the auto winding gears and they are turning the brass gear as you said, that's the same gear that turns when you manually wind it so, in theory, it should be working.

Good luck...

PeteTO

Renowned Member
14/7/06
Thanks again. I will update when I get the replacement screw. I don't mind it being a manual wind at this point while I figure things out. Im just glad I was able to resurrect it. May take me a little while to regain my confidence in cracking the caseback!! Yikes.

PeteTO

Renowned Member
14/7/06
SO of course I order the screws from Ofrei and my watch smith ends up having them! Ah well. live and learn. He did repair it though. replaced the entire self winding framework and a full service at the same time.

The EX2 lives another day!! Thanks again guys. Got everything done here in Guelph for $40 cash out the door. Cant believe he had the parts!

Pete

SSTEEL

Banned
Banned
30/1/13
Got everything done here in Guelph for $40 cash out the door. Cant believe he had the parts!

I very much doubt that this watchmaker actually did a full service given the price. At least your happy thats the main thing. :)

PeteTO

Renowned Member
14/7/06
I very much doubt that this watchmaker actually did a full service given the price. At least your happy thats the main thing. :)

I misspoke on that one SSTEEL. Not a full service lol. Didn't even get a full release. Unbelievable.

Pete

PeteTO

Renowned Member
14/7/06
**UPDATE** Watch is still running smoothly! Definitely has slowed down. I am trying to track the loss in a day but it seems to be significant. I am WAY too nervous to try to regulate this bad boy on my own after the whole rotor debacle. Thinking about maybe sending it to someone to regulate it and maybe take a look at the low date wheel position etc. Unfortunately I don't think there is anyone in Canada offering this! May need to pop across the border into Buffalo to send er out. Thanks again to everyone for your help!

Pete

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
Pete, Now that you've got the small screwdriver set and know how to take the back off, there's no reason not to try regulating it. I could see from you picture that the regulator screw is turned way to the left (slow) side. Just move it over a couple of notches to the right and see what happens. Supposedly each notch is about 6 seconds, but that varies on each movement.

20140121_123546.jpg

12072870466_cdb3bde076_b.jpg

The regulator screw is right under the red box on the right and is very easy to get to. Just take the back off. It might save you a trip to Buffalo. Also try fully winding it and see if it's still running as slow. You might want to see the thread I have linked on the bottom of this page "Why you need to wind your watch". It might relate to your problem if you are running it at the bottom of the power band from lack of force from the main spring.

PeteTO

Renowned Member
14/7/06
yikes... im nervous! But I guess I am not removing anything so I should be fine. I will read your post. I tracked it on the atomic clock and it looks like it is losing 2 secs an hour. That seems REALLY slow. I hadn't noticed that the regulator screw was turned all the way to the slow side. Will start there and see what happens!

Thanks for your advice and encouragement. I would really prefer to not send it away (until I get the DW aligned or replaced which might have to happen soon!)

Pete

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
2 seconds an hour isn't terrible. That's only 24 seconds a day and the specs for these are + or - 15 seconds a day. If you turn the regulator up to the center you might be pretty close. If you can get it below 10 seconds of a day, consider it pretty good. Anything better than that is gravy.

PeteTO

Renowned Member
14/7/06
Ok was able to turn it to one notch to the plus side and watching it over the day. Wasn't too bad!! What does that screw actually do anyways? I can search the forums for the answers Im sure they are here somewhere!

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
it moves the part on the other end of it attached to the hair spring. Lengthens and shortens the hair spring which changes the time it takes to oscillate which changes the time keeping.

PeteTO

Renowned Member
14/7/06
hmmm ok will report back in 24 hrs or so! Thanks again

Pete

PeteTO

Renowned Member
14/7/06
Hey KBH - so i ended up adjusting the regulator all the way to the + side after a few days. It is still running slow. I am trying to nail down exactly the loss over a day but it doesn't seem like it has sped up at all. Ive been winding it as well to see if that will help. Jury is still out

Pete

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
Hi Pete, you know there is another regulator (the gross regulator) adjustment under the autowind module.

Youll need to remove the autowind module to access that. Careful to not loose the screws !
Set the fine adjusment in the middle then get it close with the gross adjuster, then finish with the fine again.

Make sure you dont touch the other arm, as that will alter your beat adjustment.

The is for the sw200, but it is exactly the same as on the 2824 and 2836.

zQYhBxs.jpg

PeteTO

Renowned Member
14/7/06
Thanks RadDave for the info. Had a scary moment a while back dicking around in the back of the watch and lost a screw. I was doing the fine regulation because nothing needed to be removed. I love my EX2 too much to put her through that again! Sounds like I need to take another trip to my WM in town. Thanks for the info though.