• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

XF Pelagos V5

kennygconspiracy

I'm Pretty Popular
21/4/19
Quick Gen vs XF

Currently writing a review
40e0c516e7ec24ae6b1914ea9f4b0009.jpg
5f185f0c96733c5af54971964e055427.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

kennygconspiracy

I'm Pretty Popular
21/4/19
kennygconspiracy Looking good. Still need one of those in my collection. Is the rep dial really that flat or is it just the noise reduction of your phone camera?
It really is that flat! And thanks mate, if there's one gen I'm happy to burn a hole for, it's the Pelly.

kennygconspiracy

I'm Pretty Popular
21/4/19
Man, why couldn't they just round the edges on the markers ever so slightly? Would make such a difference.
I agree. The XF and gen are VERY close. My favourite aspect was that the rep lume was right on the money. The markers are the easiest and quickest giveaway.

But if you look a little further out it becomes slightly harder.
b57f765b70eca1c0f0f91cab7bfc3363.jpg
1c45f080b835a3d6e99213bb4ddfecba.jpg

WristClock

Known Member
8/6/20
UK
I never noticed how different the dials are, there's no way this way is/was at one point NWBIG

It's virtually indistinguishable in real life/10" away to be honest. I have the V5 and access to a gen, and upon close inspection for sure the dial has a finer grain and isn't as deep. But I think the camera's noise reduction hasn't done that picture any favors. The rounded markers are only noticeable very close up with 20/20 but again from 10" away it's very hard to notice.
My XF markers aren't perfectly aligned, but they're not perfectly aligned on the gen either. For the money it's more than close enough imo. The bezel was a bit of a let-down for me. The white lume (uncharged) isn't as pure as the dial, or as the gen, and looks ever so slightly yellowed in certain lights. Again though, it's very good for a rep and only something you spot if you know it's there. It was also just a bit too loose. Not so loose that it would rotate by itself or anything, but definitely not firm enough, and had some play between clicks.

I made the bezel a lot stiffer and reduced the play by elongating the ratchet springs under the bezel and adding small washers (I actually used very small thick flat rubber gaskets) down into the holes in which the ratchet springs are seated. Firmed things up really well. Definitely a must do mod for these. The nylon bezel retainer is brutal/very effective though. I can imagine people quite easily bending the bezel trying to pry it off. Tread carefully.

I also swapped in a few ETA parts and serviced mine because it arrived with a broken winding pinion, so it made sense to do a few things at once. I serviced the movement, which was missing lubrication in some spots, and was rather crunchy. I swapped out the keyless works with ETA parts, with a matching stem (original was a tiny bit too long), replaced the gaskets all around, and oiled the rotor. It's pretty silky now. The dial is held on with double sides sticky pads from the factory though, which is kind of a bit lazy.

Overall I would say they're pretty good for the money.

PZwIko.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: jaymillz517

Fulcanelli

Known Member
7/7/19
EU
Great info here thanks guys. I have a a xf v5 blue on order but was a bit gutted after I noticed the sharp marker issue - bit more relaxed now.

Just thinking, how hard is it to find a gen dial? Given that it only came out 2015?

also thinking this is one to buy in gen, absolute cracker. Oh and love that Kenny G.

Reactions: kennygconspiracy

Repworld

Mythical Poster
27/12/16
Expect V6 new 2021 model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NetworkMick

Horology Curious
24/3/21
Some more delicious shots of the gen for reference
5f545961c392aae9935ca10cb757bdd8.jpg
db31418f6243a8ca5b3c84824efef8d0.jpg

Dang kennygconspiracy thanks for your post, I've just placed my order with Eric. Going for the blue one and will slap on my blue RubberB strap if the one that comes with it is not so good. Is the lose bezel crazy lose or you think I can live with it until I find a watchsmith to upgrade and waterproof it?

Reactions: kennygconspiracy

WristClock

Known Member
8/6/20
UK
Dang kennygconspiracy thanks for your post, I've just placed my order with Eric. Going for the blue one and will slap on my blue RubberB strap if the one that comes with it is not so good. Is the lose bezel crazy lose or you think I can live with it until I find a watchsmith to upgrade and waterproof it?

It's not too bad. One of the better rep bezels tbh. Certainly wont click over under your cuff etc. There's just a bit too much play from the factory. Easily fixed though.

Reactions: NetworkMick

Giorgio2332

Looking Around
4/4/21
Bulgaria
Hi guys i am new one ,sorry if question is
not on right place..
I want to buy Tudor Pelagos titanium (black) Super Rep..Can you suggest me TD ? I am from Bulgaria (Europe)

Replisimio

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/20
Gods own country! Yorkshire.
Where's you score your bezel, bud. If you don't mind me asking?

I picked it up on eBay bud. It was new in packet but like a muppet I dropped it on my tiled floor and it cracked and fell out lol. Managed to glue it back in together. It’s my daily beater so it’s fine with me. Think I paid about £220ish. The rep lume on the bezel was mismatched in daylight and it annoyed the hell out of me plus the gen has thinner numbers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WristClock

Known Member
8/6/20
UK
I picked it up on eBay bud. It was new in packet but like a muppet I dropped it on my tiled floor and it cracked and fell out lol. Managed to glue it back in together. It’s my daily beater so it’s fine with me. Think I paid about £220ish. The rep lume on the bezel was mismatched in daylight and it annoyed the hell out of me plus the gen has thinner numbers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ah ok, cheers. I'm keeping my eye open for one at the mo :D.

Reactions: Replisimio