• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

XF New AP Royal Oak 15202 Releasing Soon!

SKXSKX

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
3/2/20
Hi all, I am quite new to rep and it might be a silly question but it is the only thing I am concerned : if the movement stops working someday could I buy and replace easily with a new one or quartz ? Thanks

gilrob

Legendary Member
Supporter
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
Hi all, I am quite new to rep and it might be a silly question but it is the only thing I am concerned : if the movement stops working someday could I buy and replace easily with a new one or quartz ? Thanks

My guess is you'll need the modified Miyota 9015 from XF or have a watchmaker modify a 9015 for you. The modified 9015 does not have a second hand so a stock one with a second hand may have height clearance issues. The modified 9015 also has a quick date change function like the gen, but I don't thinks its necessary.

As far as a quartz replacement, there might be hand fitment issues. The movement has to be specifically fitted in the case, I've read somewhere that the quartz movement and movement holder from the DC 15202 can be used, this off course needs verification. Then there's the XF's clear case back cover exposing the quartz movement, you can either keep it or find a closed case back cover that fits.

Proper care and servicing of the existing movement and you shouldn't have any problems.

Reactions: SKXSKX

SKXSKX

Banned
3/2/20
My guess is you'll need the modified Miyota 9015 from XF or have a watchmaker modify a 9015 for you. The modified 9015 does not have a second hand so a stock one with a second hand may have height clearance issues. The modified 9015 also has a quick date change function like the gen, but I don't thinks its necessary.

As far as a quartz replacement, there might be hand fitment issues. The movement has to be specifically fitted in the case, I've read somewhere that the quartz movement and movement holder from the DC 15202 can be used, this off course needs verification. Then there's the XF's clear case back cover exposing the quartz movement, you can either keep it or find a closed case back cover that fits.

Proper care and servicing of the existing movement and you shouldn't have any problems.

Very detailed response. I really appreciate it.

giezzo

Horology Curious
11/4/09
Well, thanks to this thread, don’t think I can resist from ordering one much longer. My last excuse is lack of seconds hand, never had a watch without it..
That’s why I’m still on the fence between 15202 and 500. Also, which one has more pronounced sunburst effect: 202 or blue 500?

Reactions: Pr-Xavier

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.

Actually, the gen cal. 2121 does not have a quick set date, but the rep does function like it. It is funny because the Miyota 9015 movement has a quick set date by default, and they had to remove this feature to kind of downgrade the movement to make it function like the gen. The date set function in the caliber 2121 is already outdated vs its contemporary peers like the 15400 and 15500, which has the quick set date function, which we have come to take for granted in modern watches.

SKXSKX

Banned
3/2/20
I have just purchased it few days ago and there has already been a problem: the second runs 20-30s late everyday, which now total is 2 min, what should I do about it ? is it difficult to fix or should i change it to a new one ?

Last edited:

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I have just purchased it few days ago and there has already been a problem: the second runs 20-30s late everyday, which now total is 2 min, what should I do about it ? is it difficult to fix or should i change it to a new one ?

You can send it for service and regulation. It’s totally fixable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Allure and Lariram

gilrob

Legendary Member
Supporter
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
Actually, the gen cal. 2121 does not have a quick set date, but the rep does function like it. It is funny because the Miyota 9015 movement has a quick set date by default, and they had to remove this feature to kind of downgrade the movement to make it function like the gen. The date set function in the caliber 2121 is already outdated vs its contemporary peers like the 15400 and 15500, which has the quick set date function, which we have come to take for granted in modern watches.

Yes, you're quite right. I called it wrong because Li described it as a quick date adjusting function in his opening statement. Whatever name they describe the calendar change as, it is not quick.;)

Scottymagic

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
14/3/18
Currently on its way back from a relume and screw work by the legend himself. Takes the watch to the next level:

VLfjeA.jpg

VLfqYg.jpg

SKXSKX

Banned
3/2/20
Hi guys, how many rounds should I wind for maximum power reserve ? Is it normal for only 18 hours power reserve of this one ?

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Hi guys, how many rounds should I wind for maximum power reserve ? Is it normal for only 18 hours power reserve of this one ?

The normal power reserve should be between 40-43hrs for this movement.
If you are getting 18hrs despite wearing it, it can be that the watch isn't charging enough. To know for sure, wind the watch 60 times (meaning 60 half-turns or about 30 revolutions) and leave the watch to run down. It should hold at least 30hrs of reserve. If not, get it serviced. It is a typical issue of rep (and even some gen) movements. Don't worry.

Reactions: Allure

SKXSKX

Banned
3/2/20
The normal power reserve should be between 40-43hrs for this movement.
If you are getting 18hrs despite wearing it, it can be that the watch isn't charging enough. To know for sure, wind the watch 60 times (meaning 60 half-turns or about 30 revolutions) and leave the watch to run down. It should hold at least 30hrs of reserve. If not, get it serviced. It is a typical issue of rep (and even some gen) movements. Don't worry.

Thanks a lot for your advice. I guess I will let it stop running then start as what you said to get the precise result.

SKXSKX

Banned
3/2/20
Is it quartz or automatic movement better in term of durability ? I am thinking about buying a quartz one. Thanks.