• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

XF New AP Royal Oak 15202 Releasing Soon!

King Louis

You're Saying I Can Sell?
24/6/20
Update: Will send my V2 to a watchmaker who works on reps on a regular basis. He is interested in finding out what the problem with mine is. He said he has heard on another occassion that an AP rep caliber had the same problem. Will keep you posted.
Gotta say, expensive hobby. Didn’t know you need to multiply the initial cost with the factor 2 or 3 to reach a satisfying result (which is a working watch with white markers in my case).

raytron

Known Member
28/6/19
What do you guys think is the average durability of the movement. When will it break down? Any experiences?

replicaX

Known Member
27/12/16
The end link gap can't be this bad, can it? :p
images

Rpde

Horology Curious
12/7/20
So they’re back in stock? I placed an order two weeks ago and am still waiting for qc pics.

Tebburaner

17/9/16
The KZF releases are interesting. The best of the lot IMO must be the 15202OR.

Overall doesn’t look that much thicker than the XF offering, but bezel bolts are definitely less refined.

The yellow gold models are PVDed the wrong shade of gold from the photos as its got a yellow-lime tint to the gold which the gen does not have. (Could be lighting)

BC dial looks like it could be alright, but under artificial white light it’s pretty hard to tell, IP is crap because it’s got the wrong bezel and bracelet links finish.

intrigued about the 15202OR, but still think XF could do a better job than them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pdatoon

jrodshibuya

I'm Pretty Popular
11/2/11
"IP is crap because it’s got the wrong bezel and bracelet links finish." - this makes it no different from the XF version. The dial looks a little too bright however. Something in between the XF and KZF would be ideal.

replicaX

Known Member
27/12/16
Actually, 15202 appears to indeed have more gap between bezel and first link. Here are some snapshots from the gen videos.

Ivancomex

26/11/15
Actually, 15202 appears to indeed have more gap between bezel and first link. Here are some snapshots from the gen videos.

maybe it is also normal on the gen, because considering the 39mm case if it were too close to the bracelet attachment, you risk arc effect on most wrist 17,5, because the AP bracelet are very rigid and have little twist ...
I hope you understand with my bad english

Akilles

Lord Commander
Certified
11/6/17
The North
maybe it is also normal on the gen, because considering the 39mm case if it were too close to the bracelet attachment, you risk arc effect on most wrist 17,5, because the AP bracelet are very rigid and have little twist ...
I hope you understand with my bad english

I think I understand you correct. And it's a good point that you are making. A smaller wrist (like Tim in the video) will experience a larger gap while a larger wrist would narrow the gap (it goes for both gen and rep).

Last edited:

Tebburaner

17/9/16
"IP is crap because it’s got the wrong bezel and bracelet links finish." - this makes it no different from the XF version. The dial looks a little too bright however. Something in between the XF and KZF would be ideal.

Well precisely. The XF IP is also a no-go as by not having the polished links or bezel, it just looks like an off coloured patina dial 15202ST, or at least that’s my opinion. Still glad to see someone else taking the initiative to make the rose gold 15202 variants as I firmly think they are probably the most beautiful watches money can buy.

Last edited:

replicaX

Known Member
27/12/16
I think I understand you correct. And it's a good point that you are making. A smaller wrist (like Tim in the video) will experience a larger gap while a larger wrist would narrow the gap (it goes for both gen and rep).

What you are saying is the gap made by how much the bracelet curls. This is the gap that "opens", if you will, between the first link and the lug on the outer side as the bracelet curls.

Instead, look at where my arrows are pointing at, which is the gap on the inner side between the first link and the lug. This gap will experience the exact opposite. The more the bracelet curls, the less gap it would make.

You can see on 15400, being a larger watch, that the bracelet should curl less on the same wrist. But yet, the gap on the inner side is smaller than it is on 15202.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
What you are saying is the gap made by how much the bracelet curls. This is the gap that "opens", if you will, between the first link and the lug on the outer side as the bracelet curls.

Instead, look at where my arrows are pointing at, which is the gap on the inner side between the first link and the lug. This gap will experience the exact opposite. The more the bracelet curls, the less gap it would make.

You can see on 15400, being a larger watch, that the bracelet should curl less on the same wrist. But yet, the gap on the inner side is smaller than it is on 15202.

In terms of physical science you are entirely correct of course.
But what most people here do not realize is that on different gen Royal Oaks, the gaps will differ too, and should not be a concern as long as its not gaping in an unsightly manner, it is good.
I think rep owners tend to debate a lot about details overlooked by the gen owners. It is not necessarily a bad thing but I think it is important to know how the gen is in the flesh before worrying about the rep construction.