• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

With a budget of 5Gs, which one would you?

hurk

The sound of barf
Supporter
Certified
10/5/11
I have recently come across a very very fortunate event which gave me the most wonderful dilemma of my life.

A watch is to be gifted and I can pick anything under 5000 bucks with the following restrictions:

5000 out the door
No online purchases
No used
They first gave me the option of either cartier or rolex and I honestly have bo idea where to go.

I went to a local rolex ad wanting the explorer II polar face and that's too much
Then submariner with date. And that was too much
So sub with no date and even that was over 5000....

Any suggestions??

Much thanks in advance to everyone.

The_WishMasteR

Known Member
10/10/12
Try to see the Grand seiko Hibeat like this one.
SBGH005-L.jpg

For the money there's nothing better (at least to me) you really have to see one live, you also have other models and calibers available take a look here.
http://www.grand-seiko.com/collection/index

This are probably the watches that keep their value high, more than Rolex just try and find one used, you will probably not find one and if you do the prices are almost like buying one new. And when they show up for sale there are literally hundreds trying to get it.

giobo

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/5/10
Get a used rolex mate..They keep their value and are reliable if you take care of them...

The_WishMasteR

Known Member
10/10/12
I think the choices are either Cartier or Rolex

I dont think it can be used either :/

If just Cartier or Rolex than that will be hard.
I am no expert but Rolex for that price, i don't think you can get one, only used.
As Cartier goes i really don't know their prices but probably someone here will say something about that.

Noplate

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
3/8/12
I'm not really up to speed with Cartier, but with a Rolex, you'll be hard pressed to find a new one for 5000(I'm guessing U$D).

hurk

The sound of barf
Supporter
Certified
10/5/11
Yea...tough to find one.
I've searched and searched and I think I can open up the options to other brands like omega, bell ross and pams.

Really like the bell ross 126 sport chrono w the black bezel and the domed crystal but at the same time...I want to utilize as much of the 5gs as possible...ahahaha

For omega, the moon watch...drool....

Panerai, probably hard to find one in that range that's new and from a ad..

peppe1019

5/8/12
Yes its tough 5gs for a new cartier or rolex..you migh be able to get a non chrono roadster or pasha for your range def no rolex new, maybe an airking maybe..

You can fine new pams in your range also omega and b&r.. A 42 mm po is a great watch..good luck

Gerry Jarcia

26/4/12
Are you in the states? Maybe a new Tudor if your not. The black bay is fantastic and quite versatile.
Theres some fantastic used pieces in that price range, actually almost all the ones you inquired about. Its a shame it must be new.

hurk

The sound of barf
Supporter
Certified
10/5/11
Yeaaaa I love jomashop.
There prices are sometimes unbelievable!!

As for the Tudor, I must have the new pelagos.
Saw it for sale in the gen section a few weeks back and wow....

No offense to anybody here but I would take the pelagos over any submariner.

rols16610

Put Some Respect On My Name
20/4/12
I would go for the Tudor, it is one of the best looking watches I have seen in a while.

wat44

Mythical Poster
20/6/09
I can solve this problem for you. Are you interested in a solution that will work?

jrodshibuya

I'm Pretty Popular
11/2/11
I bought a gen from jomashop, great store. WHy are the restrictions such as no internet/used?

wat44

Mythical Poster
20/6/09
Youre not going to get a new gen rolex that you want for under $5k

sardonix

I'm Pretty Popular
16/12/10
Yeaaaa I love jomashop.
There prices are sometimes unbelievable!!

As for the Tudor, I must have the new pelagos.
Saw it for sale in the gen section a few weeks back and wow....

No offense to anybody here but I would take the pelagos over any submariner.
Go to rolexforums.com an get your self a Pelagos, in your budget, one for sale now.
Forget about used and not online get a watch you like.
Problem solved : )

ajs914

I'm Pretty Popular
26/11/07
I assume that this is your parents or something and they are uncomfortable with a $5k purchase online or a used watch. Maybe find a local watch dealer with used watches? At least buying from an established business might make them feel more comfortable.

First and foremost you need to buy a watch that you love. I can't imagine that you'll feel at liberty to sell this watch any time soon if ever.

mydnytrydr

Mythical Poster
25/9/09
Breitling has a couple of models that would work within your budget..