• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Will a AD adjust the bracelet for my new rep Rolex?

ooarr

I'm Pretty Popular
23/12/14
Small screwdriver set of eBay for a pound or from a hardware store... All you need

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

cornholio

Renowned Member
6/5/15
OP if you can't remove a link from a rolex rep bracelet this may be the wrong hobby for you

sent from my Samsung edge plus v6s

exactly what I was thinking, its pointless to even take a gen all the way to an AD just to adjust the bracelet

marsy

You're Saying I Can Sell?
16/11/15
Hi Ryan, welcome. I'm new to RWI too, but not to watches/modding. Learn to do it yourself. I find it usually takes me a day to work out if I've got the sizing spot on (accounting for temperature changes/swelling etc). I usually have to go down a half link in winter too. Would hate to have to pay someone else or drag myself to the mall every time I wanted to make an adjustment!

My modding adventure started with bracelet adjustments... Just saying ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
Hey guys...first post here so take it easy on me lol. I've looked through the forum here but haven't found a direct answer. I'm located in Chicago and I've ordered my first rep...The Rolex Deep Sea Blue ref 1166600. It should be here in a few days and I'm wondering if I take to a watch shop to get links taken out and fitted, if they will do it or confiscate it because it's a rep. Here in chicago, there are a few Rolex AD's and many watch shops. I just want to be sure ahead of time. Thanks in advance for any help guys.

As TB already mentioned just take it to an independent shop or mall kiosk type and they will do it for you. They will charge you a little extra for a higher end watch but that goes with the territory. Rest assured you have nothing to worry about just stay away from an AD. What some people here fail to realize is that not everyone is comfortable doing adjustments on their watches as simple as they might be. Another good reason to have it done is it starts a relationship with someone who knows a little something about watches, that's always a good thing. Enjoy that watch :thumbup:

Beefyeggo

Horology Curious
26/4/16
In my experience Rolex AD's are a sniffy bunch and you're unlikely to get any help there. As others have said get yourself a set of jewellers screwdrivers (all you need is some cheap ones - don't go paying a small fortune for Bergeon or similar) and do the job yourself, but one piece of advice... don't drop the pin onto a carpeted floor. Once it hits the shagpile it's gone! I always do bracelet work with the bracelet and both hands inside a large plastic bag to ensure nothing gets lost.

Eugene

Horology Curious
28/4/16
Is a rep so easily identifiable? Most definitely i know not to bring a rep to AD! But will small kiosks or even non-luxurious watch shops will be able to tell it's a rep just by looking and holding/adjusting links?

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
Is a rep so easily identifiable? Most definitely i know not to bring a rep to AD! But will small kiosks or even non-luxurious watch shops will be able to tell it's a rep just by looking and holding/adjusting links?

Depends on a lot of factors.

Also depends on what rep you're talking about.

If you have a super rep (eg PAMs, Tudor ranger etc) then I highly doubt small jewellery shops will be able to tell just by holding it in the hands and taking a quick look whilst removing links.

Ceramic rolexes are NOT super-rep and the jewellery shop personnel may or may not be able to identify it as a rep. The crystal clarity and bezel shine will probably alert them to something being not quite right. However, despite this, a lot of them wouldn't give a rats ass if it's fake or not and will probably just crack on with changing the bracelet....some are a bit sceptical of handling reps (in case they break something and the owner gets upset).

Some kiosk works don't know their ass from their elbow and wouldn't even know/care.

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
7/10/15
Ireland
I started out with Omegas and some of these have really stiff pins, I nearly gave up on many occassions with bent bracelet adjustment tools. When I discovered Rolex they were easy by comparison. [MENTION=112146]Ryan2941[/MENTION] you will discover this too. As many people said just get a set of Jewelers screwdrivers and I find a loupe very handy as my eyesight is not fantastic. I love doing bracelet work now but when I was new to the rep game it was intimidating. Don't worry Ryan they are not as easy to scratch as you may think and if you do, a quick wipe down with Cape Cod polishing cloth works wonders.

I am so glad to see so many helpful comments on here and OPs question to me is a very valid one. However one should never take a rep to an AD, it makes sense when you think about it.

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
7/10/15
Ireland
Seems to be a double post oops

Ryan2941

Horology Curious
5/9/15
Thanks for all the help guys! I ended up just taking it to Jewelers row here in chicago and one of the shops did it in less than 5 minutes. Fits like a dream with the glide lock. Now I'm thinking of adding some gen parts. Any ideas?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

mydnytrydr

Mythical Poster
25/9/09
Crystal, dial, hands and crown can ALL be upgraded.. :)timeout2: I left out the bracelet 'cause you just got this one sized:baby2:, but that too can be upgraded) ..