• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Why you should always buy TD (Tudor Black Bay comparison)

Diodote

Horology Curious
18/8/21
Thanks for the info, how much was the good version in comparison? Obviously I would expect a much better replica for $400 than $100.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Hor-Fan

When the going gets weird
Supporter
Certified
14/1/17
Bat Country
Thanks for the info, how much was the good version in comparison? Obviously I would expect a much better replica for $400 than $100.

The good one was around $300, the cheapie could be had for as little as $60.00 if you shopped around.

Diodote

Horology Curious
18/8/21
The good one was around $300, the cheapie could be had for as little as $60.00 if you shopped around.
It is no surprise that there would be a difference in quality I would imagine. The only problem in the op would seem to be the incorrect info on the watch movement from the seller.

Last edited:

Hor-Fan

When the going gets weird
Supporter
Certified
14/1/17
Bat Country
It is no surprise that there would be a difference in quality I would imagine. The only problem in the op would seem to be the incorrect info on the watch movement from the seller.

Indeed. It’s more a lesson on buying from Ali or DHg,
always take dealer description with a handful of salt.
When these cheapie Black Bays first hit the market they did have a “2824” movement, but it was a Shanghai 2824 which is an utter POS. The 2813 was actually an upgrade.

Tocacho

You're Saying I Can Sell?
8/11/21
EU
Very interesting discussion.
I wanted to buy a watch that looked very good to me on Ali express, before I knew RWI.
A friend made the same comment to me: The photos are not of the real watch, disputes are not always accepted and we are disappointed half the time with the quality of the watch.
I have since gone through a purchase on RWI and am thrilled.

Reactions: Blackieray

DavideRWI

Known Member
15/12/19
It's been said time and time again in the world of rep watches that it is highly inadvisable to buy from non-trusted dealers. Here's why.

Before I became aware of the rep watch community, I looked to aliexpress as a starting point. I figured why not see what there is to offer, if the watch stinks I'll just get my money back. I've bought other non-rep related items through aliexpress and there's never an issue if the product isn't as described or it gets stuck in customs. So getting a rep watch sounds like a good plan, right?
Wrong.

Here's the Aliexpress listing:
As you'll notice, it references an asian 2836, the correct type of movement for a rep like this.
They obviously steal someone else's photos and pass them off as their own.

Cv6ffZJ.jpg

Now admittedly this is the where you should see the red flags and know that there's no way a watch like that is going to be sold, especially for the 100 bucks the seller is charging. But I was feeling ambitious and thought of it as a gamble. I mean what they send out (if they even send me anything) can't be that bad, right?
Wrong.

Here's what I received after a good 30 day journey through EMS.
ZezVzoh.jpg

Stunning isn't it?
Oh wait, that's not the cheap aliexpress watch! That's actually the beautifully done ZF v4 which I later bought from Ryan at InTime.

THIS is the "2016 role Luxury tudorness" they sent me.
8isUqih.jpg

Yuck.

Take a look side by side: Z4 on left, role Luxury tudorness on right
d0hTn8R.jpg

Nothing is correct with the watch. The pearl, the bezel, the crown, the indicies, the hands, the paint - all inferior to the ZF v4 and laughable as far as a replica goes.
There's noticeable grime and gunk in the interior of the dial and on the snowflake hands. The bezel barely even clicks when it turns -- it feels like there's legitimate sludge between the ratcheting.
Solo guardando questo orologio, per non parlare di maneggiarlo, mi fa venire voglia di fare una lunga doccia.
Sembra così grossolano.

Ecco alcuni altri scatti di confronto tra i due
cVv68xF.jpg

FLSd1X9.jpg

H2dkJzp.jpg

Voglio dire, c'è persino fango sul fondello scarsamente inciso! Dove diavolo hanno fatto questa cosa comunque?

Ecco alcuni scatti macro
IfmkE7K.jpg

ZF v4
e...
jGfBRix.jpg

vero "Lusso" con la "L" maiuscola

Ora, per essere onesti, non è tutta una schifezza completa.
Il ruolo del 2016 Luxury tudorness in realtà fa la rosa rivelatrice meglio della z4.

Qui puoi vedere che il lato sinistro della rosa sulla ZF v4 non sembra così fresco
fwITOBk.jpg

Ma il nostro rappresentante sporco ha sicuramente una rosa pulita
pgXHxrf.jpg

A parte il fatto che la rosa è un po 'migliore, non c'è molta differenza nell'altra stampa
5HCDpKt.jpg
gpGtmvT.jpg

Da quello che posso dire, l'unica cosa che questi due condividono è il caso. Non ho notato alcuna differenza tra loro, ma potresti essere in grado di dirlo.
ZF v4 ha la corona pulita
EWGUDea.jpg

Quindi, anche se non sei un super appassionato di rappresentanti, anche se non ti interessa se è COSÌ buono di una replica - hai ancora un bel 2836 asiatico in tutta la sua gloria di 28.000 bph, giusto?
iHAcPXv.jpg

Sbagliato.

In conclusione, voglio che questa sia un'esperienza educativa per nuovi e vecchi acquirenti. Ho corso il rischio in modo da non doverlo fare e ora ho un orologio così orribile che anche i venditori sulla strada del canale non ci andrebbero vicino.
Ora la parte fastidiosa è quando ho scritto al venditore e volevo un rimborso perché l'orologio non è ovviamente come pubblicizzato, è successa la cosa più strana! Il negozio di orologi era stato cancellato e aliexpress più o meno mi ha detto che ero SOL. Lo stesso vale per la mia banca.

Alla fine della giornata non sto esattamente piangendo dato che conoscevo i rischi e ho colto l'occasione comunque... ma ancora, questo è un buon 100 che avrebbe potuto essere messo a così tanti altri usi orologieri.

Non essere un fannullone! Ci sono altri paragoni là fuori e ogni volta il verdetto è lo stesso. Semplicemente non ti verrà dato un rappresentante di qualità.
Mai.
Perché non riesco a vedere le immagini?

C

Cosimino

Great post man. I’ve been in a situation like this. Ordered a CF GMT from aliexpress, the seller said Clean factory for 300$… I couldn’t believe, the pictures were right so I ordered!!
And then I got a fake movement watch, pretty bad aesthetically and lower quality than CF

Got20Mate

Hunting for the perfect Speedy rep!
Patron
Certified
20/7/22
UK
Great post - Makes me wanna buy one now :ROFLMAO:

Moonshiner

You're Saying I Can Sell?
4/12/18
Was really fun to read! I was with you that it's not a bad deal as long as you get some 2836 movement but then....boom....DG2813 :D