• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Why wear a replica? Opinions Wanted

stagename42

You're Saying I Can Sell?
21/7/22
Just for style. Sure there are gen watches from cheaper brands that are nice but the high end has a certain appear it design that is hard to mimic. Is a movado bold fusion as nice as a hubolt?

CeterisParibus

Supporter
13/5/22
UE
Half my collection is rep, half is genuine.

Sometimes you just want to wear a watch without being afraid of anything.

g00n

Cunning linguist & Master debater
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
1/9/16
Half my collection is rep, half is genuine.

Sometimes you just want to wear a watch without being afraid of anything.
Like being called out for wearing a rep? If that’s the case work on how you carry yourself as that’s what people will look at first…..
Confidence GIF by Peloton

CeterisParibus

Supporter
13/5/22
UE
Like being called out for wearing a rep? If that’s the case work on how you carry yourself as that’s what people will look at first…..

No, you can be afraid of scratch a gen, or the watch being stolen if you’re in shitty places.

That’s why reps can be useful.

CeterisParibus

Supporter
13/5/22
UE

No, you can be afraid of scratch a gen, or the watch being stolen if you’re in shitty places.

g00n

Cunning linguist & Master debater
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
1/9/16

In that case I totally understand…..
30 Rock Hello GIF

Reactions: j2k

Steve2308

Supporter
3/6/09
I'm cheap. simple really. Rather spend $$$ on stuff for my home, missus or my cars.

A $10 quartz watch tells time better than any mechanical watch but they're nowhere near as pretty.

As someone that loves watches, and started buying reps like 15 years ago.
Some were quite bad and pretty obvious reps, but still kept time well. I learned quite a lot about watchmaking with these cheap automatics (Sea-Gull ST6!!!)
If they stopped, and I couldn't fix them, a new movement was like $20-$30 AUD and it's easy enough to swap hands and dials.

Bought a few high quality Tag Heuer and Omega watches about 12 years ago from RWI's TD list, and fell in love with how good reps were at the time and to this day, they still look amazing and work perfectly. Living proof the A7750 is a great movement.

Have about 28 watches in my collection atm.

As an Engineer (we love our watches) I wear $10 beaters to work as I'm always smashing them and drowning them in either chemicals or water so I leave the nice watches for every day life outside work.
As mentioned before the whole Gen market is just ridiculous, ...And seriously, waiting lists for certain big brand watches is insane.

Prefer to spend my hard earned making life easier in other ways. Even if I came into lots of money I'd still buy reps. In fact I'd travel to China and buy them directly that's how much I love the whole rep scene. $10k + watch for $500... yes please.

The one Gen I'd buy for my 30 year work anniversary in Feb 2023 would be the Omega Speedmaster triple date. I'd love a rep but they were discontinued a while ago. finding one is proving impossible.
That would be my only gen purchase if I can't find a good rep, and it's not stupid expensive but saying that 3-4k is still a big purchase for me.

Besides, communities like RWI are such a great way to learn, share and see what's happening in the market. Gen watch forums are full of tossers.

Last edited:

Ah0rsey

18 hands high, bushy mane.
Patron
Certified
9/8/22
uk
OCD for dings and scratches ( same as on cars ) .... but wearing a rep I "DGAF"