• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Why isn't there a 15450 with correct thickness yet?

old_man

Renowned Member
23/2/14
We already have a very thin automatic movement in the ZF aquanaut, the calatrava and the JF and JJF nautilus. One would imagine the next "important" watch that'll get updated with the thin movement to correct thickness is the AP 15400/15450.

Yet there's no sign of it at all.

Is it reasonable to look forward to a correct thickness 15400/15450 rep? Could there be any other factors preventing the making of a correct thickness rep of the Royal Oak?

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
None of the above you mentioned are of gen-like thickness. Some are closer and some are further away but none of the thicknesses of the above watches are 1:1. And yes some are close enough for the thickness difference to be indiscernible on the wrist.

One reason why the reps are still so thick is simply because the makers have not made a
new mold for the thinner caseback/midcase after someone screwed up the dimensions of the current ones, making it too thick. As long as people keeping buying them, wrong thickness or otherwise, the factories will see no incentive to stop. Factories do not care about accuracy of details. They just want to profit off the hobby, period. All their “1:1”, “like gen” products descriptions are nothing but marketing fluff. It is hilarious to see these false and ludicrous descriptions being repeated in m2m sales.

I see a lot more rep 15400/divers being worn in the wild now and I think that the reps make nice wrist accessories. I do enjoy “rep-spotting” when I have the time and opportunity. Put a gen and rep 15400 or even franken with gen-dial side by side and you’ll understand that the rep/franken will never be a true AP. BUT they are visually nice looking watches that resemble the gens somewhat. For guys who only care sporting a nice/cool looking watches, reps are definitely the way to go. Gens are not always perfect as well, and some models simply have instrinsic collection value for the owner.
But I personally think that any thickness difference is more for discussion on the boards, than having actual impact on the rep in real life. For those not in the hobby, the 0.6mm or so difference will not be significant and you will still get a lot of sincere “nice watch” comments when wearing it. So at the end of the day, we only need to please ourselves. If the thickness bothers you, get it thinned or get a gen, instead of waiting for the factory to get it right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

old_man

Renowned Member
23/2/14
None of the above you mentioned are of gen-like thickness. Some are closer and some are further away but none of the thicknesses of the above watches are 1:1. And yes some are close enough for the thickness difference to be indiscernible on the wrist.

One reason why the reps are still so thick is simply because the makers have not made a
new mold for the thinner caseback/midcase after someone screwed up the dimensions of the current ones, making it too thick. As long as people keeping buying them, wrong thickness or otherwise, the factories will see no incentive to stop. Factories do not care about accuracy of details. They just want to profit off the hobby, period. All their “1:1”, “like gen” products descriptions are nothing but marketing fluff. It is hilarious to see these false and ludicrous descriptions being repeated in m2m sales.

I see a lot more rep 15400/divers being worn in the wild now and I think that the reps make nice wrist accessories. I do enjoy “rep-spotting” when I have the time and opportunity. Put a gen and rep 15400 or even franken with gen-dial side by side and you’ll understand that the rep/franken will never be a true AP. BUT they are visually nice looking watches that resemble the gens somewhat. For guys who only care sporting a nice/cool looking watches, reps are definitely the way to go. Gens are not always perfect as well, and some models simply have instrinsic collection value for the owner.
But I personally think that any thickness difference is more for discussion on the boards, than having actual impact on the rep in real life. For those not in the hobby, the 0.6mm or so difference will not be significant and you will still get a lot of sincere “nice watch” comments when wearing it. So at the end of the day, we only need to please ourselves. If the thickness bothers you, get it thinned or get a gen, instead of waiting for the factory to get it right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you and I hold similar view on watches. I've been at this game for long enough to not care about minute details. Nowadays my reasons in buying rep is "best bang for the buck". At the price range of a quartz Tissot, you get a watch with much better make and finish, and best-of-the-industry designs & aesthetics.

Regarding thickness, 0.3mm difference means nothing to me. But the rep 15450 and the gen thickness is night and day. It makes them two completely different watches. I've tried the gen 15450 in store and absolutely loved the case & movement finishing, and am planning on purchasing it. But I would still like to see a rep 15450 with, for the sake of accuracy, +/-0.3mm thickness to gen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rolemars and legend

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I think you and I hold similar view on watches. I've been at this game for long enough to not care about minute details. Nowadays my reasons in buying rep is "best bang for the buck". At the price range of a quartz Tissot, you get a watch with much better make and finish, and best-of-the-industry designs & aesthetics.

Regarding thickness, 0.3mm difference means nothing to me. But the rep 15450 and the gen thickness is night and day. It makes them two completely different watches. I've tried the gen 15450 in store and absolutely loved the case & movement finishing, and am planning on purchasing it. But I would still like to see a rep 15450 with, for the sake of accuracy, +/-0.3mm thickness to gen.

I can understand what you said about the gen vs rep 15450. I have never held or worn the gen 15450 myself, but the diameter/thickness profile of the 15450 will likely make the thickness a more obvious "tell" in terms of visual and wear feel in theory. Good choice, I am looking forward to see the gen on your wrist, when you do get it. :)

Reactions: csthe

KSwatches

Trusted Dealer
29/11/18
The rep 15450 is small and fat. The proportions seem off.

Gen wears different on the wrist:
3bfd80c24aff1fea3f5bf6e48b7405f1.jpg

JF:
eee903fd7dc0d7600958b0df5c9e1c2b.jpg

Wearing the JF snug (like the following pic) helps mask the thicker caseback, as it sinks into the wrist but gen does noticeably wear and feel thinner:
JF (work snug)
3a60a2f4b0e62039a8f63c7638372b42.jpg

Last edited:

majwilliams0308

Reptime Mod
Patron
Certified
11/7/16
Thank you for the informative posts. Does anyone in conus do case thinning?

SHB

Mythical Poster
31/10/18
Earth
At first I thought you misread his name, that led to clicking into SHB's profile pic and verified that it is indeed a black man on his profile picture.

I'm a male and i'm not black (doesn't matters i guess) lol.
The picture is a cover of a vinyl record album (i'm a records collector instead to be a gen watches collector) :)

csthe

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/13
I'm a male and i'm not black (doesn't matters i guess) lol.
The picture is a cover of a vinyl record album (i'm a records collector instead to be a gen watches collector) :)

One joke and this is becoming RWG :) . where is Glaude ?

Last edited:
Reactions: legend

sn95

Renowned Member
29/7/18
Its the factories that don't feel like thinning cases, if you look on the m2m section there's the occasional franken 15400 with thinned case or even roo with thinned case. Most people who are buying these watches aren't on rep forums.

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
The Chinese make their watches thicker than they need to be in order to be able to assemble a complete watch despite errors in machining. Since precise low tolerance machining costs alot of money, the factories extend a very large tolerance to their case suppliers in order to keep costs down. If you measure many RO reps you will see that they all measure differently, even in the same manufacturing run. The best thing for JF/OMF/ZF to do would be to machine and decorate the actual bridges of the Miyota 9015 to look like an AP gen movement. PPF did this with the PP ca. 324 in order to further thin their Nautilus rep. Layering an additional decorative bridge on top of the Miyota 9015 adds at least another 1mm to the watch, if not more.

Last edited:

serafim.g

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/10/18
generally us smaller wrists need more attention! the AP 15400 has been updated to V5 by JF and AP15450 i think has stuck to v2

sn95

Renowned Member
29/7/18
generally us smaller wrists need more attention! the AP 15400 has been updated to V5 by JF and AP15450 i think has stuck to v2

The quartz 15202 doesn't look too bad on small wrists