• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Why I wont buy 3135VR clone or 904L versions

chocolito

I'm Pretty Popular
12/9/17
Ok, so we all have our own reasons for buying reps, in my case, it is a sort of insurance against my gens. I.e. I will wear the rep in public places where theft could potentially be an issue, and the gen at home or in safer environments as well as for investment purposes.
So, this brings me to my question, why do we need cloned movements, boxes, papers, warranty cards for rep watches? Are we trying to pull the wool over someone's eyes? Surely we are not buying these watches to try and pass off as gens on a potential dodgy sale?

After wearing gens for 5 years, and always conscious of hiding it under my sleeve or not trying to draw to much attention to it, I realized that no one ever commented on it or asked about it, so, I decided instead of worrying about it, just wear a rep and enjoy the 'look' of it without the risk.
This brings me to the 904L steel version debate. We all know that that is a load of crock and a marketing ploy to let us part with more money for the same thing?

Why dont the factories rather put in gen Swiss ETA movements into these reps and give us reliable timepieces for our 500 bucks so that we can use them as intended? Cloned 3135 and their derivatives are inherrently more difficuilt to service whereas ETA parts are more common at the watchmaker down the road..
Am Imissing something?
Personally I also never modify (franken) a rep, as to me, that defeats the purpose of a cheap purchase in the first place. Ive seen some frankes cost as much as gens, and in the end, its still a rep...
Would love to hear YOUR feedback on this lighthearted discussion.

Where are rep makers going to get 10's of thousands of new genuine Swiss ETA movements ? The Swatch group began a gradual prohibition of ETA movements years ago .They are NOW only used in Swatch group watches ( have been for a while ), and are no longer sold to watchmakers outside the group .That's why microbrands have switched to Miyota's , Seiko's and Selitta's . The first effect of putting genuine SWISS movements into rep watches will be your $4-$500 watch going up in price .

pistebasher

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
13/6/20
UK
I have a number of gen watches with their original boxes and have purchased a few gen boxes for my fave reps as well. Some of the boxes are genuine works of art in their own right and having them brings almost as much pleasure as the watches. Many of them are not expensive and they provide the lovely unboxing experience I enjoy when choosing what to wear. Fake papers I don't bother with, but if people want the full set, that's fair enough. People shouldn't label collectors of either boxes or papers for their personal enjoyment as scammers. If I was buying a rep as a gift for someone I would probably buy a box for it. And tell them it was a rep of course.