• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Why Do You Roll With Reps?

iggypop

I'm Pretty Popular
27/9/12
Q. Why would anyone purchase a Picasso print?

A. The cost of the original is prohibitive, and there is inherent esthetic value to the reproduction.

If you hang a reproduction of a Rembrandt painting in your home for the express purpose of deceiving others - and with the hope of being personally viewed as something you are not - you are an affected and pretentious knob with little self esteem. If, however, you possess and proudly display the artistic work because its form is beautiful, and it genuinely elicits in you happiness, admiration, (perhaps even) wonder, your fulfilling endeavour is worthwhile and, arguably, even noble. Man's interest in, and pursuit of, that which is esthetically pleasing requires no explanation or apology.

Great first post! Welcome to RWI!

riker-slow-clap.gif

Nominate for the "best 1st post from new member" award
Amazing first post!
wow JAFO you have some competition this guy has to start a seminar for first timers

jimmyj

You're Saying I Can Sell?
3/10/09
I like watches in general. I have 4 Gens i would buy more but I'm married.:p4gtr: So i add to my collection by buying reps i like. I don't care or try to pass them off as Gens, Its just a watch i enjoy wearing for myself. I thank the Good dealers here who make good Reps at a fare price. JMO

egroegart

Put Some Respect On My Name
1/7/13
I like watches in general. I have 4 Gens i would buy more but I'm married.:p4gtr: So i add to my collection by buying reps i like. I don't care or try to pass them off as Gens, Its just a watch i enjoy wearing for myself. I thank the Good dealers here who make good Reps at a fare price. JMO

The dealers don't make the watches. they just sell them.

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
and with the hope of being personally viewed as something you are not - you are an affected and pretentious knob with little self esteem..

I fear this may apply to many rep enthusiasts and unfortunately our hobby necessitates that we co-mingle together in a discreet and nonjudgmental environment ;)

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
I fear this may apply to many rep enthusiasts and unfortunately our hobby necessitates that we co-mingle together in a discreet and nonjudgmental environment ;)

What a bunch of gobble-De-goop that was :D

Sophiecat

Horology Curious
2/9/14
"The man of affectation may, perhaps, be reclaimed, by finding how little he is likely to gain by perpetual constraint and incessant vigilance, and how much more securely he might make his way...by cultivating real, than by displaying counter."

Samuel Johnson

I see a better way...

I respect the motivations, propensities, and opinions of all. I desire as much from others. My intentions are not to insult, condescend, or preach. I used the word "knob" in my previous post. I wish to recant this. This is a fraternity. Opinion is healthy. Conviction is usually admirable. Judgement that is not constructive - or not offered for that explicit purpose - should have no place on this forum.

image0r

14/11/14
I can either have one gen piece.. Or a bunch of high quality reps. If you love watches you would understand. Its not worn to fit in or for class. Ever since I was young I admired the craftsmanship and design of rare watches. I don't care of 50 cent is wearing a blinged out sub. I don't chose to go with the crowd.

SUMIKITO

Supporter and Senior Purveyor of YouTube News
Supporter
5/4/13
San Marino, California
I have been known here in my parts to be the guy who wears two watches. No, I never show them off, never flaunt them, nope. I wear a pair 'cause they are reps, and should one ever fail at the moment, at least the other can still tell me the time of day. Like the saying goes, "a Rolex guy is never late, no never, he is just a little behind because of more pressing situations" . Folks always seem to ask me for the time, and that is quite humbling, a service like that is indeed very satisfying to have filled a 'void' in a persons moment in life. It always makes my day !! ............................. Rep on !!

jimmyj

You're Saying I Can Sell?
3/10/09
i only buy from BK or Davidsen or WM9 so I'm sure they work on your watches. thats the quality worth paying for JMO

eswilly

I'm Pretty Popular
2/11/14
Florida
It actually makes seeing gens more interesting. Out with the kids and wife today at an indoor kids playground type thing and there were a lot of adults my age and expensive watches. I've owned three gens; DJ 2x's and a GMT ll. I had kids and they're more important then watches. But I digress, I was shocked at my confusion. Coming from a guy who goes to the Ferrari dealership for inspiration, I could swear every rolex I saw today could have come from Sead, BK or Lucy for that matter. I'm closer then ever to buying a high end CONUS, for shipping and customs reasons and be ecstatic with a deep breathe out signing "finally". I won't have to spend a fortune and I'll be content knowing that, although it's not authentic, it's something I like to look at on my wrist. Knowing that the guy next to me cannot tell wether it's real or not, because I couldn't and I've owned 3! Also, he may be here on this forum right now. I will add gens back to my collection but for now I've got my target locked. I've got my lock on a Sub C, an Omega Seamaster and some kind of PAM, I'm thinking a Ferrari one for above mentioned reasons.....
I'm digging this whole deal and cannot wait to get going.
My guts says learn more and you'll have a sweet little collection to play with.
eswilly out.

peterpl

Put Some Respect On My Name
24/7/11
I rock reps because I like to pretend to be a baller/high roller.... :)

Logan86

Renowned Member
27/12/14
I have a fair mix of reps and gens. I have reps because I love watches, simple as that. I like the craftsmanship and details of them. My Citizens amaze me because I will probably be able to wear them forever with minimal upkeep. The rep Rolex Explorer II I just got gets me going because I love the design. Some people say "save up and get a gen" and that is solid advice but I enjoy having 20 mixed watches that I can wear depending on my mood or clothes for the day.

With that said I haven't been in the rep game long but the part of the world I live in isn't exactly the most cultured so it is a rare occasion for anyone to notice my watch, much less compliment or question how I could afford a PAM or Rolex.

iggypop

I'm Pretty Popular
27/9/12
Contrary to popular belief owning reps has made me want a gen more