• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Why build a franken?

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
Okay then. And since this thread is in the Omega Section and about Franken's .......

Might as well post one for your viewing pleasure!

IMAG0355.jpg

AskMeAgain

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/11
Drooool, actually talking of frankens, I want to do the one I just bought. Supposed to have an eta so what do I need to do the dial and hands Q5? 45 PO no idea what gen no happy feet though :) Tony your sig is missing a Speedmaster and I'm missing a sales review :p

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
Show us a pic of your baby and let's see what we are working with. :)

Inushuk

Put Some Respect On My Name
19/10/10
you can check some info on my project ... just look at my sign ...

auslander

18/2/11
you can check some info on my project ... just look at my sign ...

890+ Euro! Punaise, C'est trop chere pour une fausse montre! j'acheté une PO authentique pour $2k la semaine dernière.

Inushuk

19/10/10
tsss .... very easy to buy a new gen PO ... I can do it tomorow .... much more fun to build it and to find the parts and to leran a lot about the watch...

That was the reason to do it ... and even so 850 vs 2K is cheap :) and I will never pretend it is a gen ... but my Franken has a special story and this is what it make it so Special :)

auslander

18/2/11
definitely fun. i cant wait to show of my projects when they're done. they're a little different, they're more bespoke than a 1:1 rep. your UPO looks great! Great job!

I will disagree a bit with you. I've taken apart some UPO's i've bought and the only thing I learned is that it isnt a gen PO since so much has to be done to accept some of the gen parts! Fun yes but only taking my PO and SMP taught me about Omegas. I treasure both my gens and my reps

Inushuk

19/10/10
thx ... :)

You 'll see you will learn a lot on your watch and the more you will learn the more you'll love it ... :) even if it is still a "fake" ... just a much better "fake " ... :)

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
I didn't know a thing about my watch when I was just a "Gen" owner.

auslander

18/2/11
I didn't know a thing about my watch when I was just a "Gen" owner.

Yes, but does not having the reps make you appreciate the innovation and craftsmanship of your 'Gens'? Imitation is indeed the best form of flattery...

or the fastest way to a quick buck! ;)

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
No. It shows how over priced my Gen was. ;)

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
yesss... I'm so glad I just finished selling off most of my reps, and happy that I was able to immediately snap up a third of my planned future collection!

Franken DateJust: ?
Franken 1665 Great White: in progress
Franken Daytona: still researching

:rofl:

sawalke4

I'm Pretty Popular
16/1/08
I can get a brand new gen PO with warranty intact at dealer price. So why make a franken for $1200 when I can get a gen for that price?

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
I really dont know where you found a new PO for 1200$. The lowest pice for a new was 2200 euros cash and after a big bargain. As for a used one minimum 1500 euros and the condition not that good. I spent over 1000 euros on my franken and havent regret it at all. I enjoyed building it,i saved over half of the money,even 500 for a used one and i will not have to pay to an add 300 euros to service my movement... But if you found a new one for 1200$ you should go for it without any second thoughts...

phillycheez

6/6/09
Debating right now...

Sell off a few pams to fund a $2500 to $3500 gen vintage or sell off a couple and make a franken for half that?

After searching for vintage rollies and tudors I am debating if they are even worth it...

If I build a franken I can have the lume color I want and the dial modded to look exactly how I want. I can proceed to mod the bezel to how I want as well. As for the case I want to keep it mint. :)

I also can put a reliable swiss eta in it that I dont have to pay exorbitant amounts of money to get serviced...

It just seems logical to build a franken...

Thoughts?

sawalke4

I'm Pretty Popular
16/1/08
I really dont know where you found a new PO for 1200$. The lowest pice for a new was 2200 euros cash and after a big bargain. As for a used one minimum 1500 euros and the condition not that good. I spent over 1000 euros on my franken and havent regret it at all. I enjoyed building it,i saved over half of the money,even 500 for a used one and i will not have to pay to an add 300 euros to service my movement... But if you found a new one for 1200$ you should go for it without any second thoughts...

My buddy is a owner of a jewelery store in a cruise terminal duty free store. He illegally (meaning he could loose his AD) gives me at cost. OK a little more than $1200 but significantly cheaper that retail. I picked one up a few moths ago and sold it to a coworker for 2K easy he was begging me to sel it lol. He jumped on the deal. Just got another friend a 2993.52.91 BNIB w/ warranty for $2300.
IMG00110-20110702-1115.jpg

IMG00109-20110702-1115.jpg

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
Yes,now i remember you! You are from the lucky ones... If i had a friend from whom i could buy the po at that price i wouldnt built a franken. But since i and other people here havent that possibility, franken is our way... Very jealous of you, but i believe your are from the few people with such a privilege, the rest of us cant get near that price for a brand new...