• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Why build a franken?

ispytonyv

Renowned Member
16/8/09
Currently on my wrist is an Omega PO rep from WBK, the el cheapo version (~ $110 in CONUS) on a WJean mesh bracelet (they run $60 on eBay). It's definitely my favorite combo for this model:

po1o.jpg

... what I'm wondering is, why do people choose to spend up to the far side of $1,000 on a franken build? I was considering it, but what would the additional $800 buy me, besides a slightly more accurate rep? Just seems like if you're gonna go that route, buy a used gen for a little more.

Does anyone else agree with me? Well under $200 for a decent rep seems like a good deal, and $800 more than a franken seems like a fair premium to step up to a gen, but that middle ground doesn't seem like much value for the $. Please feel free to rebuke my reasoning too if you don't agree.

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
I have three Frankens so I feel qualified to answer your question. :)

My answer..... because it's fun.

phillycheez

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/6/09

That's no doubt the best answer.

The journey... the emotions one gets when finding that exact part... the joy when those parts are a bargain! .... the journey in general is what most franken builders and project builds seek.

You also end up with a very exclusive piece that makes you feel all warm and gushy... :)

ispytonyv

Renowned Member
16/8/09
I have three Frankens so I feel qualified to answer your question. :)

Yeah, I've admired your builds and figured that might be the only answer that made sense to me. Just the satisfaction of the process, etc. For someone like myself (without a lot of extra time, and lacking in any watchbuilding skill), it's hard to justify.

guanaco

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/7/07
Sidi Power Plant
Looking for the right parts, time spent turning it into a franken, end result... like Q5 says, it's for fun! It also ends up looking much better. I wouldn't go as far as $1,000 unless it were for a gen movement or a V72 in the case of the Vintage Daytonas.

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
My answer is because you can!!! And most important because i like it soooo much!!!

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
I find it funny ispy that you ask such a question when you clearly have a lot of modded pieces yourself. :lol:

Your siggy

GENS

Seiko gold tone Datejust homage on jubilee, PBdad [BLINK]modded / superlumed[/BLINK] … Seiko Pepsi diver on jubilee

REPS

Omega 42mm black Planet Ocean 21j on shark mesh … Panerai 288k on Heroic strap / sub buckle … Rolex Submariner 21j on black & pink NATO, [BLINK]rsh modded[/BLINK] … Rolex LV Submariner 21j, [BLINK]rsh modded/superlumed[/BLINK] … Rolex TT blue Submariner noob, [BLINK]PBdad modded / superlumed[/BLINK] … TT blue Submariner wm9 / BK … Rolex Pepsi GMT noob, [BLINK]PBdad modded[/BLINK] / serviced … Rolex Submariner BK / TW with wm9 dial

What just happened? 0.o

Why mod a gen? "PBdad modded / superlumed … Seiko Pepsi diver on jubilee "

1. Because it adds value to the watch
2. Because you like it that way
3. Because it was the thrill of the chase
4. Because you felt the watch needed a personal touch

Will you ever get back what you put into it?

A1. Maybe with the right audience.
A2. Maybe not, devalues the watch to some.

Same with modding reps bud. :)

ispytonyv

Renowned Member
16/8/09
Try searching "franken" and you will find some threads that were already created on the cost / benefit analysis...

I guess I agree with a comment by levelmanroger about using 1/4 the cost of a gen as a good cap, which would in the case of a PO be a nice "no happy feet" version w/a gen part or two.

Looking for the right parts, time spent turning it into a franken, end result... like Q5 says, it's for fun! It also ends up looking much better. I wouldn't go as far as $1,000 unless it were for a gen movement or a V72 in the case of the Vintage Daytonas.

I saw a PO for sale on another board where the seller mentioned having almost $1,200 invested so far.

I find it funny ispy that you ask such a question when you clearly have a lot of modded pieces yourself. :lol:

Why mod a gen? "PBdad modded / superlumed … Seiko Pepsi diver on jubilee "

1. Because it adds value to the watch
2. Because you like it that way
3. Because it was the thrill of the chase
4. Because you felt the watch needed a personal touch

Will you ever get back what you put into it?

A1. Maybe with the right audience.
A2. Maybe not, devalues the watch to some.

Same with modding reps bud. :)

You placed the quotes around the wrong segment, it's "Seiko gold tone Datejust homage on jubilee, PBdad modded / superlumed" and in that case, it wasn't to add value. This was a 20 year old watch that belonged to my father, so this was a bit of a restoration on a piece I'd never sell at any price.

As for the mods I've had done, I don't think < $200 for a superlumed sub with sanded rehaut and epoxied pearl is the same thing as a franken. Those are (relatively) cheap mods compared to expensive gen parts. It's the expense I have trouble with, not modding.

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
If you compare a lumed dial to a gen it is not much more of an up charge. Maybe $100 at most. I can sell my Gen parts off if I wish and get most of my $$ back. If you get the wrong lume job you loose most of your investment. ;)

To each his own and I respect your decision to not Franken a PO/UPO. :)

phillycheez

6/6/09
Why would I pay almost $8000 to install a motor out of a 04 taco into my 95 4runner? To about 99% of the people that is the stupidiest thing they have ever heard.... I didn't do it for them.

Not exactly sure what answer you are goin for... What people decide to spend their money on can vary on a lot of factors. Maybe they are just rich and bored? Maybe they have a psychological problem to pursue perfection? Maybe they just love watches? Maybe they think by adding gen parts it will get them laid? Maybe they just really really really love watches...

Phil G

29/9/10
Stevenage, Hertfortshire, England
:thumbsup:" Maybe they think by adding gen parts it will get them laid?"

That's good enough for me philly................now where's my watch kit, no time like the present to mod.

Good luck, Phil

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
Bottom line: Spend a nickle on a 1000 dollar watch or 1000 on a watch worth a nickle, same end result. Mod a vintage seiko by reluming it you lose value, some would say. Others would see the value as there is a market for everything. As Q5 mentioned you can part out a modded watch. Same end result in the end. Fun and loss of money. Whatcha gonna do. I say mod the seiko or the PO. ;)

Motor in a taco? Varoom Varoomm... "¡Andale! ¡Andale! ¡Arriba! ¡Arriba! ¡Yii-hah!"
Mouse: My seester knows Speedy Gonzales...

Slow Poke: Everybody's seester knows Speedy Gonzales!

TheLoveOfBotham

28/9/09
All I have to add to this discussion is :lol: :lol: :lol:

Philly and R2 - you guys crack me up!

To the OP: I can't answer your question. When I joined here, I would have called you crazy if you told me about so-called 'frankens'; now I have a fake PO that cost me roughly the same in parts and modding as a used gen. How do I justify it? It was a heck-load of fun, and I made many friends and gained a great deal of knowledge doing it.

The way I see it, just about anyone can save $2000 and spend it on whatever they like. Whether they feel the same amount of satisfaction as I do with my hand-built rep is a question of point-of-view. All I can say is I had the money, and the time, to do something more interesting than going to a shop and interacting with a salesperson. And I did it for me, rather than for bragging rights.

I know I'm still an idiot, but luckily I'm amongst similarly-minded idiots that won't think less of me for my affliction. God bless you RWI, and China!

auslander

18/2/11
All I have to add to this discussion is :lol: :lol: :lol:

Philly and R2 - you guys crack me up!

To the OP: I can't answer your question. When I joined here, I would have called you crazy if you told me about so-called 'frankens'; now I have a fake PO that cost me roughly the same in parts and modding as a used gen. How do I justify it? It was a heck-load of fun, and I made many friends and gained a great deal of knowledge doing it.

The way I see it, just about anyone can save $2000 and spend it on whatever they like. Whether they feel the same amount of satisfaction as I do with my hand-built rep is a question of point-of-view. All I can say is I had the money, and the time, to do something more interesting than going to a shop and interacting with a salesperson. And I did it for me, rather than for bragging rights.

I know I'm still an idiot, but luckily I'm amongst similarly-minded idiots that won't think less of me for my affliction. God bless you RWI, and China!

You've summed it up quite nicely.

ispytonyv

Renowned Member
16/8/09
Bottom line: Spend a nickle on a 1000 dollar watch or 1000 on a watch worth a nickle, same end result. Mod a vintage seiko by reluming it you lose value, some would say. Others would see the value as there is a market for everything. As Q5 mentioned you can part out a modded watch. Same end result in the end. Fun and loss of money. Whatcha gonna do. I say mod the seiko or the PO. ;)

I guess for me the Seiko wasn't about potential return. It belonged to my father so a restoration, while costing more than the price of a new donor watch, was worth it. I kept the old dial / hands (with PBdad applied superlume), along with the movement & caseback, and transplanted the new outer case / crystal / bracelet. A new lease on life for that watch, and one which return on investment was a moot point. The "value" was purely sentimental.

+1 to those that disagreed though, to me it's diminishing rate of return on the particular model franken PO, but to others those builds were labors of love and provided entertainment and camaraderie, and therefor worth the outlay.

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
Which particular franken PO are you referring to?

ispytonyv

Renowned Member
16/8/09
Edited my last reply to be more clear as to what I'd meant... not any one member's watch in particular, but in general the PO as a choice for a franken build.