• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Why bring attention to the quality of rep Omegas on a gen forum?

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10
Is this guy around?

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f441/fake-po-42mm-looks-very-real-554007

He obviously knows what he is looking at, and is most probably a member of the rep community. I'm all for stamping out reps being sold as gen, but that's a different issue, this is starting a thread to bring attention to a rep out of nowhere. What's the motive here,? I'm curious?

1. Truely trying to educate the gen community about the tells of reps?

2. Attention seeking! ?

3. Trying to drum up business for the dealers ? :)

I'm going with No.2

tolis

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
24/8/09
i dont know why but omega replicas now they are super super quality!!!!!

mikeyp

Banned
20/3/11
Yeah I'd say number 2 also !! Plank !!

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Inushuk

Put Some Respect On My Name
19/10/10
4. Telling the Gen Community they spent to much money for a nice Gen Omega when a nice flawless rep is 10 time less ... :)

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10
4. Telling the Gen Community they spent to much money for a nice Gen Omega when a nice flawless rep is 10 time less ... :)

4. That works aswell :D .....although I wish he wouldn't do it so blatantly....let them do their own research!

He knows what he is looking at, as the example he picked is one of the better ones...nice pearl! Also the pictures have been cropped, rotated and uploaded...it's possible he just 'happened' across them while innocently browsing the rep sites...but I doubt it!

idontknow

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
24/5/11
Southwest
Ultimately when they meet up from time to time they will be wondering who is really wearing a Gen and who isn't. It really will ruin the mood of the whole circle jerk.....

Steelfish

Hǝɐpᴉᴎƃ ꓭɐɔʞ ᗡoʍᴎ Ոᴎpǝᴙ
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
Of course there could also be a :-

5. All of the above

Naturally it would be naive to think that a good percentage of the gen community is not fully aware of the increasingly improved quality of reps, but the last thing our community needs is for some idiot to blatantly ram it down their throats. :lolcina:

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
He must be a double agent!!! He throwed the bate and they will be looking for us now.And if they find us,then... Welcome to the Dark Side,no way back!!!!!

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10
He must be a double agent!!! He throwed the bate and they will be looking for us now.And if they find us,then... Welcome to the Dark Side,no way back!!!!!

Lol, it's ok we're in the clear! He's another clueless gen owner who happened to come across the pics on e-vil-bay, so panic over :D

It just was interesting to see his first post, before he revealed where he came across the pics, I though he might have had different intentions. He posted a good example and afaik the pics are QC pics rotated and cropped so I wasn't too sure what he was upto!

D

d4m.test

Person is being incredibly stupid. What we're buying is ILLEGAL; flashing the stark glare of publicity on our "hobby" is an excellent way to destroy it.. Besides, pointing out how foolish gen buyers were is NOT exactly a way make friends and create influence. Just my .02

dave

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
I agree. Keed keep the whole rep quality thing between us. ;)

D

d4m.test

I may be the only one to think this but I actually don't see the harm he has done... Please hear me out!

I like Omega, and I like the Planet Ocean - so much I will buy a rep very soon. But I am also saving for the gen, why? Only as I want the real one that I can keep for many years and know that it (hopefully) will last longer than the rep. He has pointed out the watch and the visual quality, but everyone knows it is not the same so where is the harm? We all know the metals, parts, and other bits on the gen are going to outlast the rep. They look the same but really they are worlds apart.

If anything it only shows that buying a gen is still buying a gen as one thing a rep will never be able to match - is what is inside.

Wouldn't change my mind from buying a gen or make me feel like I have wasted my money if I had bought a gen. Rep's increase brand awareness as the first luxury watch I ever saw - was actually a rep.

I love this hobby as I can have a watch that looks and functions just like it's genuine article, and enjoy a nice watch before I have the money for the gen. If I had to buy gens only then my wrist would probably see more time from a Casio than anything else!

Just my view :)

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10
I agree with your take Maestro, I have numerous gens but I would never have shelled out 4 figures on any if I had not had a test drive with the rep version first.
But not everyone is as 'enlightened' about reps as us :)

My reason for the original post above was based entirely on the OP first post on Wus, (later on he revealed that he had just come across the pics on ebay so it was harmless enough!) ...but I had no idea at his first post what his position was or whether he was going to reveal some intimate details of the newer 5th gens or even where they could be got?
For every potential rep buyer on a gen forum who would PM the OP for details on where the rep can be found there's another who enquires in order to start messing with the dealer or his payment system...and that effects rep buyers on here.

It's nice to know some gen buyers are open minded and can see the effort and quality in a rep, but from experience there are vastly more who are steadfastly opposed to the 'fake' game and it's best to keep our world away from them.

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09
Hell, we compare reps to gens all day long! :)

I certainly don't have a problem with anyone showing off a rep, the better the response, the better we look for buying them. The greater the quality, the more sense it makes. One thing for sure is that they rarely go into analyzing reps as much as we do, and our members are infinity more knowledgeable than they are about the differences.

As far as the OP posting his find and wanting attention, hell again- we do that all day long! :D

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
For every potential rep buyer on a gen forum who would PM the OP for details on where the rep can be found there's [BLINK]another who enquires in order to start messing with the dealer or his payment system...and that effects rep buyers on here.[/BLINK]

How hard is this to figure out? It can only hurt our hobby when reps are discussed on Gen forums. We have no control what their members do but our members need to remember that it is a permanent ban if they start one elsewhere.

So again, let's keep the whole rep quality and comparisons between us. Mmmm...kay?

I believe the OP in that thread on WUS is not a member here and was only trying to teach his fellow members to be cautious.

D

d4m.test

Absolutely. Gen forums are for gen buyers and rep forums are for rep buyers. No need to bring in much from either. But yes - as long as no harm is done then happy watch'ing!

correctime

Banned
28/5/11
I really don't know that I would attract the attention of genuine watch forums but I think it's kind of cool that there are replicas capable of using genuine parts to better their looks in being accurate. I just received QC pics and video from the trusted dealer I purchased an Omega 42mm PO from and for the price I'm nor sure I could ever buy a genuine 42mm PO. This replica Planet Ocean looks very good to me and I think it can use genuine parts too.