• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

who's SMP is the most accurate?

mickeypro

I'm Pretty Popular
29/6/06
Ive learned sme of the differences that are showing up between the reps and gens, but who has the most accurate rep pre Bond Seamaster? Im looking to pick one up?

thanks

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
Currently there's NONE.... all wrong He Valve placement.

I would say if you don't mind, go for Ruby's

EDIT: If you read ByTor's guide, he is referring to the rep from a closed down factory and has long time been discontinued.

who2R

Known Member
9/3/07
takashi said:
Currently there's NONE.... all wrong He Valve placement.

I would say if you don't mind, go for Ruby's

EDIT: If you read ByTor's guide, he is referring to the rep from a closed down factory and has long time been discontinued.

How can one tells if the SMP is from "closed factory"? what is the biggest sign?

thank you

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
You can tell by the bracelet, correct He valve placement and misaligned bezel for non 007 version. ByTor is very familiar with this piece.

who2R

Known Member
9/3/07
takashi said:
You can tell by the bracelet, correct He valve placement and misaligned bezel for non 007 version. ByTor is very familiar with this piece.

thanks takashi..... let's pick the one in Ruby's section for example......I just look back and for and compare it to ByTor's and I can't find the "different" you mentioned. Both bracelet looks the same as well as the HE valve placement (both at 10 o' clock). I know I'm not that good to pick the different from pic.....if you don't mind, can you give me some pointer to the details different between 2.

Thanks a lot.

warpedpig

12/2/07
Ruby's SMP is a nice piece but it has one major flaw besides the HE valve problem (which is found in all SMP reps available now).

There is no lume marker at the 3:00 position and to me this is a dead giveaway.

who2R

Known Member
9/3/07
Can you tell me what is the problem of the HE valve placement, like..... how bad they are off/mis-located and what is the correct HE position.

** I'm not buying the SMP now but I want to learn the differences in case I see one I like **

warpedpig

12/2/07
On the gen, the HE Valve is placed slightly above the 10:00 marker.....While on the current batch of reps, the HE Valve is directly at the 10:00 mark....it's a matter of a couple of degrees.

I don't think it's that big of a deal but to others it's a major flaw.

Here are pics to illustrate the difference:

Genuine

OMEGASMP.jpg

Rep Photo from a member here

RepSMP.jpg

crick

Put Some Respect On My Name
1/8/06
wow i like that bezel pearl! wonder which rep is that one from?

warpedpig

12/2/07
crick said:
wow i like that bezel pearl! wonder which rep is that one from?

I went back and checked the thread I pulled this pic from......It is none other than WBK's sub $100 SMP!....I might have to get one of these soon.

BurgerFlaggen

Renowned Member
1/1/07
United States
Heh, I have the 007 40th Anniv. edition and I'm realigning the bezel insert right now, at the moment.
The back of this bezel is put together a bit different than By-Tor's tutorial, but essentially the same.
Forgot to make sure I have epoxy so it's on hold 'till the morrow.

watchman12345

I'm Pretty Popular
8/10/06
The sub $100 SMP isn't all that. It has a horrific dial, no lume at all only on hands.

watchlover

I'm Pretty Popular
28/9/06
Okay, so you really love the SMP?

get the gen.. no I'm not being sarcastic.

You'll know what I mean when you score your 10th rep.. ;)

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
Well... It's true. My search of perfect SMP is over only after I bought the gen. Don't get brand new SMP. Search for second hand. You will find a mint condition for about 1000USD. I got my Ti for an extra 300 bucks.

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
I found this dial on Ebay. For some reason the 12 markers always look crooked to me, must be my eyes. It is 35.5mm and I'm wondering if the date window will line up with my WBK 007 Asian movement. Suppose I would have to cut dial feet off in order to glue dial on...anyway It looks like a genuine dial. :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Original-Dial-OMEGA ... dZViewItem

MZ

Known Member
23/2/07
Don't forget to buy some lume! seems to be missing on this dial.