• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Who's got the best sub?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roeod4

Put Some Respect On My Name
14/3/06
enzo said:
Roeod4 said:
WHTBS? Still turns into a matter of opinion and debate. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and therfore can never be put into a plain package for anyone.

Well it can, but then you are making up that person's mind for them and they don't learn anything from it. I know this is the way of the world in the sense of retail, I just don't see supporting in a special interest forum. I thought we liked this stuff?

I guess I am not seeing it. How is this making up someone's mind for them?

All I am trying to say is that figuring this out is up to each person. You have to accept some of the flaws due to the nature of the rep game. Figuring our which flaws you are willing to accept is up to you. You can choose a watch that is almost perfect and then mod most of the flaws out, but in its nature a rep will never be perfect.

willster

Renowned Member
15/3/06
Great Posts all of you ....guys and girls

Have been thinking about the same issue myself and have come to some not so startling epiphanies…this is the right site for this….warm, friendly, confident and a Group that Legitimately wants to help along the noob for the right reasons…the joy of learning about and collecting Reps

You are all right……..

The bottom line is that when THE question is asked by a noob …..the motivations for asking are as different as the answers provided ….

1. Some Want “Aâ€

Roeod4

14/3/06
enzo said:
Why not get together and create a Noobs primer
This is one thing I think this, and similar forums are by default. Defined by their content and participation. To create a FAQ or "cliff notes" summary for the Newbie, I seem to remember Roeod4 saying this was in the TO DO list in a thread on day one?

Yes, it is and I am working on it. I will probably post parts at a time for members such as yourselves to read over and provide input and feedback on. I will never pretend that I am all knowing enough to provide the end all be all answers to everything. If you guys have sections you think should be in there, PM me. I would love to hear them and quite honestly I could use some more ideas.

WackoBirdKeeper

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
23/3/06
New Jersey, USA
Pugwash said:
It's a comedy question that we always ask. The response is always either a show of mirth or a demand to search the dealers.

Still, it's not a very good response. Are we that lazy that we can't even answer something like the following?

"It depends on your wallet, but you can spend an awful lot of money on an MBW and gen parts tarting it up ... or you can get a decent one from TTK for around a hunnerd-n-sum bucks, if you don't mind cheap insides."

Are we that insecure about upsetting dealers in the middle ground, or fearing the ridicule of our peers that we can't have a stock answer prepared?

I used TTK in the example of the cheapo Sub because that's where I got mine. I know other dealers stock it and that the dealers don't all have their own private factories, but I'll always know it as the TTK Sub. It's up to the other dealers to convince me that I should call it something else, unless I can come up with something more generic myself.

This leads me to answer my "Who's got the best Sub" by redefining the question. I'd say "Who's got the best Sub ... for a newbie to the whole Rep community" and I'd answer "Ah, you're looking for the Nubmariner. I got mine from TTK, and if you shop around, he was at one point offloading them for an amazing paypallable $99, but I paid $120 for mine and have had nothing but joy with it."

Damn, this has been a meandering post. I've got a reputation to uphold here, so I'll post a pic of my Nubmariner.

Watches%20-%2022.jpg

I'm glad that you received a nice sub from TTK. I bought the LV version from TTK, and it arrived DOA. The movement does not keep time. It's a shame, the watch looks great. It just doesn't tell time. (sigh)

WackoBirdKeeper

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
23/3/06
New Jersey, USA
You know, this is a flame free area, so I'm going to speak my mind here about the sub reps. I understand that everyone wants a perfect replica. I'm the same way. So, we look for the watch that has the edge on it over everyone elses. Well, as far as I can tell, the current generation of reps are so damn good that we put them under a microscope to find the flaws. We talk about the date font, the crown guards, the smallest imperfection of the placement of a letter. Well, I personally think that when you are wearing your rep, it is good enough to fool damn near anyone. Who pulls out an eye loop to examine your watch when you are wearing it?

Now, if you want it to be 100% perfect under the microscope, then go get a gen. You can't expect your $300.00 or less rep to be the same quality as a $4,000.00 plus original. Of course, my attitude is, do I really get an additional $3,700.00 of value with the genuine. I guess you know my answer, I own a rep.

By the way, a few weeks ago, I posted a picture on another forum of my newly ordered LV sub. I asked everyone what they thought of it. It got torn apart by the so called "experts". They talked about the bezel pearl, the crown guards, the placement of the date magnifier, etc, etc. So, what was the problem here? I posted a picture of the gen, not a clone. I still got the usual critisism.

Rememeber, this is a flame free area!

• Haha
Reactions: Dave2302

Roeod4

14/3/06
Wacko..can I call you Wacko?

You are right in many ways. The reps that most of us wear and the reps most of us tare apart are really good quality, inside and out. It is getting hard to find a bad one in many cases. The majority of the people on this earth would not know a rep from a gen anything.

However, it is the search for perfection that has us where we are right now. Believe it or not the dealers and manufacturers read what we have to say and they take our knowledge and insight and make the next step towards a better watch. A year ago the crown guards on all Rolex replicas where HUGE. They were blocky and they looked far from genuine. After listening to the talk of the bad crown guards, someone (no idea who really) said, "Hey, maybe we should fix that and they will buy more!" So they fixed the crown guards and started the "Replica Tango" (this occurs when a manufacturer fixes one big flaw in the design and introduces 2 more, so 1 step forward and 2 steps back) and the date fonts began to suffer. So they listened again and now they have corrected the date font. The seamed to have avoided the tango with this improvement.

All Panerai had bad bridges a year ago. They did not look anything like the gens. So again someone said, "Maybe we should fix that." and they did. Now we have great bridges on the Panerai. Some even come with a swan neck regulator for added appearance quality.

So you see, each time a knowledgeable person tares apart a Rolex sub, they are doing everyone a favor. Because what you view as picky actually leads to the vast improvement in quality and appearance in the reps we have today.

So wear your rep proudly and think fondly of all the complainers who would not sit quietly and helped make your watch better.

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
enzo said:
I think you even recommend TTK [Neil] as a first time dealer, which I think even Neil would find somewhat funny. His rules of play are not newbie-tolerant.
So I hear, but as a newbie buying his first Rep, I had absolutely no problem at all. He responded to my mails, confirmed the shipping date and was generally helpful and available.

I realise I must have been exceedingly lucky, but I'm wearing a decent watch I had no hassles in buying.

I would recommend, however, that a first-time buyer uses someone who takes Paypal.

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
enzo said:
You present it as a photo spread IE. like eyecandy. Generally the comments will be positive and frankly polite.
Or, you get picked on.

Before my first Rep arrived, I was showing a photo technique or something like that, and I showed a photo of my Timberland Quartz Chrono to demonstrate a watch photo and my poor watch got picked on for being rubbish.

I very nearly didn't write my first photo article because of that.

Roeod4

14/3/06
You guys just gave three excellent reasons for this Zone to exist.

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
Roeod4 said:
You guys just gave three excellent reasons for this Zone to exist.
Fu...oh, wrong zone. :D

ps. I like how when you edit a post it doesn't say it's been edited.

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
enzo said:
well quartz and timberland ... jeez I hope I poked fun at it!
I would expect ridicule if I were trying to show it off, but when it's a comment on how to photograph watches, you really should stick to the photo quality, not the watch quality.

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
enzo said:
I know a couple of us made jokes in the same vein of the FerrariPAM threads now, just poking at the horribleness of the watch.
Like me. It's not actually that horrible, it's just ... ok, it really is that horrible. Where did they go wrong?

I just bowed out of one of the Palbundi threads on one of the other places cos one of the guys said he wants to find a reason to like one of the Ferrari watches as he's a fan of both brands.

Once you hear that plaintive "please let me like one" cry, it's like stamping on a puppy's head: Everyone knows you can do it, but it's just plain mean.

WackoBirdKeeper

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
23/3/06
New Jersey, USA
Roeod4 said:
Wacko..can I call you Wacko?

You are right in many ways. The reps that most of us wear and the reps most of us tare apart are really good quality, inside and out. It is getting hard to find a bad one in many cases. The majority of the people on this earth would not know a rep from a gen anything.

However, it is the search for perfection that has us where we are right now. Believe it or not the dealers and manufacturers read what we have to say and they take our knowledge and insight and make the next step towards a better watch. A year ago the crown guards on all Rolex replicas where HUGE. They were blocky and they looked far from genuine. After listening to the talk of the bad crown guards, someone (no idea who really) said, "Hey, maybe we should fix that and they will buy more!" So they fixed the crown guards and started the "Replica Tango" (this occurs when a manufacturer fixes one big flaw in the design and introduces 2 more, so 1 step forward and 2 steps back) and the date fonts began to suffer. So they listened again and now they have corrected the date font. The seamed to have avoided the tango with this improvement.

All Panerai had bad bridges a year ago. They did not look anything like the gens. So again someone said, "Maybe we should fix that." and they did. Now we have great bridges on the Panerai. Some even come with a swan neck regulator for added appearance quality.

So you see, each time a knowledgeable person tares apart a Rolex sub, they are doing everyone a favor. Because what you view as picky actually leads to the vast improvement in quality and appearance in the reps we have today.

So wear your rep proudly and think fondly of all the complainers who would not sit quietly and helped make your watch better.

Yes, you can call me wacko. When the shoe fits........ or was that when the foo shits????

You do give some good justifications and I agree with your point. I guess it just reaches a degree of precision where I need to ask, is this good enough, or are we really getting too anal. I would assume that the answer lies in the buyers mind. For example, I wanted an Omega PO. I saw the 1st gen and laughed at it. I saw the second gen, and was not laughing anymore, but I still wasn't that impressed. The 3rd gen was very tempting. Now, as soon as I saw the 4th gen from Trusty Watch Guy, Andrew, I had to pull the trigger. To me, the watch is so damn close to the original that it is damn near impossible to tell it's a rep.

And, as River likes to point out, a rep is just a rep. It will NEVER be the real deal.

WackoBirdKeeper

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
23/3/06
New Jersey, USA
enzo said:
WackoBirdKeeper said:
By the way, a few weeks ago, I posted a picture on another forum of my newly ordered LV sub. I asked everyone what they thought of it. It got torn apart by the so called "experts". They talked about the bezel pearl, the crown guards, the placement of the date magnifier, etc, etc. So, what was the problem here? I posted a picture of the gen, not a clone. I still got the usual critisism.

Rememeber, this is a flame free area!

Hi WackoBirdKeeper, I sense some defensiveness you said that twice.

Maybe your post, 'helped' in the reaction, especially if you ask an open question, like, "What do you think?" This is basically an open request to critique on a rep forum ... Generally. If you want to show a watch and get basic praise .. you don't invite comments. You present it as a photo spread IE. like eyecandy. Generally the comments will be positive and frankly polite. It's unspoken that you are proud of your purchase and want to show it off.

Just the same, many people debate the details. They enjoy it and will post a watch as a challenge ... (it seems a bit cheeky, you showed a GEN represented as a REP .. possibly to get back at those 'expert' comments? I wouldn't worry, it's not the first time.)

If you do want critique, but don't feel like getting cut down in a barage of comment, a proviso helps. Showing you recognise there are issues.

I fully agree. I recently responded to a "What do you think" post on another forum. I thought that the watch just screamed fake, and I pointed out why. I got BLASTED by many people, especially the seller, who defended his watch with a flaming response. My attitude is, if you ask what do you think, be prepared for someone to critique the watch. Really, the poster should have just said, "Hey, this is my watch, it is wonderful. You MUST agree with me or do not bother to respond."

I have also noted on some forums that only some users get away with giving a negative comment on a watch. Others get blasted for doing so.

WackoBirdKeeper

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
23/3/06
New Jersey, USA
Pugwash said:
enzo said:
You present it as a photo spread IE. like eyecandy. Generally the comments will be positive and frankly polite.
Or, you get picked on.

Before my first Rep arrived, I was showing a photo technique or something like that, and I showed a photo of my Timberland Quartz Chrono to demonstrate a watch photo and my poor watch got picked on for being rubbish.

If you want to post a photo of a watch like that (no reps allowed there) go to http://www.pmwf.com. That is the poor mans watch forum. Poople there will appreciate that type of a watch, and they will love your photgraphic abilities.

Tink131

16/3/06
Pugwash said:
enzo said:
Or, you get picked on.

And that would have been a terrible loss for us all! I still need to read your second one, Pug, but that will happen sometime today. My first watch just arrived!! And she's a beauty- can't believe how beautiful it is. Hopefully the pictures will be acceptable- knowing me....well.....I'm not promising anything!

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
Tink131 said:
Hopefully the pictures will be acceptable- knowing me....well.....I'm not promising anything!
Honestly, if you read my first photo article, it is almost impossible to take a crappy photo.

Tink131

16/3/06
I did read it and you had some awesome pointers- it's just the application- which requires the person.....well, sometimes I can be a "puddin-head"!! [smilie=tard.gif]

Where you in the humor zone yesterday watching me submit and delete my first round of pics? You scare me man!

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
Good read!
@pug... yeah I remember sometimes back people mocked at your Seamaster picture which is clearly not taken by yourself. There is nothing wrong with the Timberland... and people said that it's a replica (LOL).

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
takashi said:
yeah I remember sometimes back people mocked at your Seamaster picture which is clearly not taken by yourself.
I did allow myself a momentary evil cackle when I revisited that thread recently.

Reactions: Keeters
Status
Not open for further replies.