• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

When a watch becomes a metaphor for its owner's life -- My Speedmaster Story

Mr. Moon

Horology Curious
24/2/12
Watching Space Shuttle Discovery on its final mission to the Smithsonian Museum in Washington, D.C., was bittersweet. As a child, I dreamed of being an astronaut (like many other children, surely) but life's detours (read: reality) dictated another path for me. Still, I always kept up with the space program, through triumphs and disasters. With the demise of the Space Shuttle program as I knew it, I thought it was time to commemorate it with a Speedmaster.

On another board, I saw a Speedmaster project that used a gen case and a Tissot movement. After WatchCo began dumping their inventory on the 'bay, I began watching for the pieces to the puzzle. At one point a couple months ago, there were about 6-7 speedy cases on eBay being sold by WatchCo. I watched as the one I had my mind set on exceeded my bid by about double. Dejected, I put up a half-hearted bid on one of the last ones and ended up winning a 145.022-71 Speedmaster case with the original hesalite crystal. It also had a somewhat unusual case back, with the hippocampus medal but no moon-related inscription.

After tracking the package and finding that it had been delivered, I could not wait to leave work and get home to open the package. However, my wife, mostly unaware of my purchase, had already opened it and described it as "not [being] in good shape." Clearly, that sucked the wind out of my sails, but once I got home and had a chance to describe the Speedmaster (including more history than she ever bargained for by asking about its appeal) to her, she began to understand why this admittedly worse-for-wear Speedy was special to me. Admittedly, the poor thing was beyond mere wabi-sabi; it had dings, dents, and a completely unusable bezel.

My wife, ever patient and thoughtful, decided to take the case to a personal friend who just happens to run a jewelry store. I got the watch back on the same day my replacement bezel arrived and I'm still astonished at how good it looks with an experienced jeweler's touch. I was then even more excited to get my project under way, so I made the wish list of remaining items:
  • Movement - Got the Tissot 873 movement, keeping good time though it could use a service.
  • Dial and Hands - Still watching for some date-appropriate hands and a dial.
  • Bracelet - Got unbelievably lucky on eBay and found a used 1450 bracelet with a low buy-it-now price; I didn't sleep on this one.

So finally, why is this watch a metaphor? Well, in a former life, I resembled the watch case below, but I learned that with patience, time, and a plan, nothing is beyond repair. :)

DylZ6.jpg

InTfx.jpg

clSAw.jpg

luckie

19/12/11
Nice, I have a few project watches that when I get time(probably in the winter) I hopefully can put them together.

bwhitesox

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
23/4/06
Can't wait until you have this one finished but until then how about a little inspiration;

IMG_1011.jpg

Mr. Moon

Horology Curious
24/2/12
gorgeous! your watch makes me think I'd be smarter to find a used age-appropriate dial and hands instead of NOS. Something about that patina just makes me feel all warm and tingly. :D

luckie

19/12/11
I need me a good case and movement. I have a gen dial and handset for a speedy, figured one day, I'd get the rest. LOL

Mr. Moon

Horology Curious
24/2/12
I need me a good case and movement. I have a gen dial and handset for a speedy, figured one day, I'd get the rest. LOL

well if you ever decide that you're tired of seeing them sitting in wait, let me know! hehe :)

rychastings

2/10/10
Is there a good guide on how to build good franken moonies? its always been one of my grail watches

Mr. Moon

Horology Curious
24/2/12
Is there a good guide on how to build good franken moonies? its always been one of my grail watches

That's the tough part; I really didn't find any information about building a franken using rep parts. My project uses all gen parts simply because I've already traveled this far down the road, so I can't turn back now!! Even the movement is a Lemania 873, which is very nearly the same as the Omega 861.

From my experience, sourcing the case (let alone one in good shape) is the tough part. I was never able to determine whether a rep case could house a Lemania/Omega movement, but if it does, that would save you a bundle.

Mr. Moon

Horology Curious
24/2/12
So I got a few things in the mail today! hehe

omega 1450 bracelet
7313003256_4a23c7b3d6_z.jpg

7313004350_576013dc38_z.jpg

7313005196_5ed858a02c_z.jpg

Case back from refinishing, looks incredible.
7313008022_abf0eb844f_z.jpg

new and old bezel. I wish I could use or find an older style one, but for now this will do.
7313009454_a58d4ca79e_z.jpg

the whole lot
7313010484_4a7cfd6808_z.jpg

It's getting exciting!!!

olworthers

I'm Pretty Popular
17/8/07
Looking forward to seeing this one coming together, I have a similar plan to yourself - the Speedmaster has always been a 'grail' watch for me!

-OW