• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

whats the deal with "Asian Automatic 21J" movments

moggio

I'm Pretty Popular
25/3/06
I donno...but I've own them for the last 4 years....stilll keeping good time...so I cant answer that...anybodyy pleasee help him ....

Category 5

You're Saying I Can Sell?
27/4/06
What is their temporal resolution? 21,600 bph or 28,800 bph? How do they compare to the Miyota movement? If the res of the Asian is 21.6k then I can't see why you'd want one over the Miyota which is just as cheap, and super reliable.

I have a Miyota based NY rep from almost 15 years ago that is still keeping perfect time even though it has never been serviced.

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
Category 5 said:
I have a Miyota based NY rep from almost 15 years ago that is still keeping perfect time even though it has never been serviced.
You don't see many Miyota-based reps coming out of China.

TicToc

Known Member
17/3/06
What we are seeing is chinese copies of older Miyota movements such as this one.
img0804800x5335ql.jpg

Category 5

27/4/06
Although tic toc that asian Miyota copy really doesn't look much like the real Miyota that I have.

Still nobody has said, how many bph is the asian 21j movement. I have heard that there are now Asian copies of the ETA. Are they at least 28,800bph? How can you identify them when a dealer advertises Asian movement? I assume most mean the one in your pic above.

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
@Cat5: they can be found currently on some reppanerai auto and Rolex Asia best. It's pretty clean movement and reliability is pretty much a lottery. Current Asian 21j is assumed to have date click capability, power reserve and unsettable GMT hand. The rotor will look like an ETA2892. So far I have owned a few of them, they seem OK and keep good time. BPH is 21000. Those 28000bph Asian copy can be found mostly on newer Asian7750 which is basically a chrono auto movement.

Category 5

27/4/06
Thanks takashi. I can keep model #'s straight but with all these other terms to describe the movements used it is getting a little more difficult. Thanks for clarifying!