• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What's on Trailie's Walkman

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
We will touch on Flash and the Pan again later, they have some really good stuff.

Not quite as obscure but undoubtedly the best shipwreck song written for many a year is Gordon Lightfoot's The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald. if you go down to the sea in ships this cannot but raise the hairs on the back of your neck. This fan video adds to the piece with footage The Fiz herself as well as a photographic roll call of her crew, God rest their souls. The fact that this song cuts deep into the psyche of the Lakes area is born out by the fact it has over 5000 comments on this clip alone.

To accompany it I present the recording of the radio calls from the USCG immediately after the sinking, mainly to the skipper of the Anderson who bravely risked his ship by going back to mount a search in conditions that only someone who has seen what The Great Lakes can dish up could understand. His unease at the thought of doing so is palpable in his voice even over a crappy radio comms link. Brave men sail that lake.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
We lost one of the true greats today and the world is poorer for it. RIP Levon Helm.

levon%20helm%20615.jpg

Levon Helm died Thursday at the age of 71, and a piece of the rich roots music now called Americana should be buried with him.

Helm, who was best known as the drummer for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame group The Band, had been suffering from a recurrence of the cancer that cost him his singing voice a decade earlier.

Larry Campbell, music director for the Levon Helm Band, said he died peacefully at Memorial Sloan-Kettering, "surrounded by friends and bandmates and family."

Helm won three solo Grammys over a 65-year career in which he blended all the music he heard as a youth in Turkey Scratch, Ark.: country, blues, bluegrass, gospel, R&B, pop and rock 'n' roll.

"He was just a great rock 'n' roll drummer," said his long-time friend and admirer, radio host Don Imus. "He was also a genuinely sweet person - a true angel. There was no one like him."

Helm and The Band played for 600,000 fans at the 1973 Watkins Glen music festival, but his focus the last decade was the intimate weekly jam sessions he called Midnight Rambles at his studio/ barn in Woodstock, N.Y.

Artists like Emmylou Harris and Elvis Costello often dropped in for the sessions, which were open to the public. Helm said he modeled them after late-night performances by the traveling medicine shows he knew as a child.

Levon-Helm1-608x342.jpg

RELATED: FANS, BANDMATES PAY RESPECTS TO HELM

He continued the Rambles until several weeks ago, when he fell ill. His Band partner Robbie Robertson, from whom he had been estranged for years, sent "love and prayers" to Helm last Saturday night at the 2012 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction.

Robertson also made a personal visit to Helm's bedside over the weekend and called Helm "one of the most extraordinarily talented people I've ever known."

"He was my bosom buddy friend to the end, one of the last true great spirits of my or any other generation," Bob Dylan wrote on his official website Thursday. "This is just so sad to talk about. I still can remember the first day I met him and the last day I saw him.

"We go back pretty far and had been through some trials together. I'm going to miss him, as I'm sure a whole lot of others will too."

Helm decided he wanted to be a musician at the age of 6, he said, when he heard bluegrass icon Bill Monroe.

His career had several stages. He started in a great bar band, the Hawks, that backed 1950s rockabilly singer Ronnie Hawkins and often spent its summers playing cheap on the Jersey shore.

In the mid-1960s Bob Dylan recruited the Hawks to back him on some of his first electric tours.

After Dylan left the road, the Hawks started recording on their own as The Band, starting with "Music From Big Pink" in 1968. Helm sang lead on the record's most enduring track, the mysterious ballad "The Weight."

Their second album, "The Band," remains one of rock 'n' roll's elite recordings. It featured Helm on tracks like "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down."

The Band broke up in 1976, at Robertson's urging and against the wishes of Helm. Their final concert was recorded as Martin Scorsese's "The Last Waltz," and while it was probably the best rock concert film ever, Helm later rejected its agenda of documenting the end of the group.

Helm and other Band members began playing and recording again and cut three albums in the 1990s without Robertson.

The group was inducted into the Rock Hall in 1994. Helm came to New York for the ceremony, but decided not to attend, he later said, because he didn't want to share a stage with Robertson.

After the deaths of group members Rick Danko and Richard Manuel, and his own battle with throat cancer, Helm downsized his career and launched the Rambles.

Helm recovered his own voice well enough to start singing again in 2004. He eventually recorded three solo CDs, all of which won Grammys.

The music on those CDs reflected his career. They mixed country with blues and rock 'n' roll, and the songs were a blend of new material and traditional tunes. Helm played mandolin and guitar as well as drums.

"That's the sound I've always loved to hear, so that's what I play," he said in a 1995 interview. "I don't try to be fancy or do flashy solos. I just try to keep the beat."

He did, and a little bit more.

He is survived by his wife Sandy and a daughter Amy, who often played with him on stage.

levon-helm.jpg

Last edited:

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
I've been neglecting this thread, here's a Redgum classic by John Shuman talking about an ex of his that just didn't "get it" when it came to the class struggle. How she survived at Adelaide Uni is beyond me. I give you "So I say Goodbye". If you don't get it you missed the 80's and the entire class struggle thing.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
OMFG! A media embed tag actually worked!
Honestly I do not get the mess our media tags are in, a lot of the ones previous to the array crash that did work now do not. Thankfully it looks to be a lot better than it was, it generally works on most Youtube URLs now.

Here's another one. Redgum are very good indeed at doing "songs with meaning" and this one could be a requiem for the late 70s early 80s in OZ. It says a lot about the Aussie Spirit, as hard as it gets, as tough as the outlook becomes a true Aussie knows that this is the lucky country and as such we have it better than most and it will indeed be alright in the long run.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
About time I added to this thread again (a lot [some 20 posts] went missing in the Great Hack).
Del Amitri deserved better than they got, this song in particular is a masterpiece; it describes the loneliness and desolation of inner city living in Thatcher's Britain so well. It's top-level songwriting bordering on poetry.

Another song about industrial Britain but in an earlier age (tho still and 80s song) is this one. Whilst painting a brighter picture (because the 60s were brighter in industrial Britain or, at least, they thought it was) the melancholy is still very evident.

Last edited:

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Let's go back to Redgum for a moment. Redgum are very good at painting pictures with words and this is their ephemeral 80s bush ballad.
Old Cork was the farthest reach of cattle grazing in South East Queensland, right out on the banks of the Diamontina,one of Australia's great inland rivers that flow into Lake Eyre, never reaching the sea. It's a national park now and you can go camp beside the ruins of the station house. At night, when the fire dims, you can feel the ghosts, it's a very special place.

Another great "word painting" from Redgum, if you can't "see" this song you have no soul. Somehow way too many great songs are born of poverty and despair. "Working streets and wedding rings are sometimes much the same", indeed.

Last edited:

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
One last from Redgum for now, This is a more political piece but still paints a picture of outback Australia in the process that is as accurate as it is unforgettable to anyone who drove the old road to The Alice. It's all asphalt now, it's still a long, desolate, 1500km drive but it's not the adventure it once was when it followed the railroad as a dirt track like when I first drove it and this song was written.