• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What's on Trailie's Walkman

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Trail is too old for a iPod. I think I have a MP3 player somewhere, a little 2gig number I use for parties but that's it. I decided it was time to subject you lot to my rather eclectic taste in music. This will be an interesting ride, my taste ranges from folk to a bit of hiphop along with everything else in between.

George Thorogood once said "Now here's a song with a message" and that is important to me. A good song (as apart from good music) should tell a story, it should take you somewhere. It should play on your emotions. It should make you happy, or sad, angry, or peaceful, wistful, longing for a past or for a future. If it doesn't then it should spur you on to great things or council you against poor choices. Good songs become part of you.

I'll try to stick to stuff that you probably haven't heard before but if it is something you have heard please ask yourself "have I listened to it?" There is of cause a big difference. I'll make comment on the songs I select and will greatly appreciate your own thoughts on them. Sometimes I'll post one, sometimes a set.
There are bands/groups you will see once or twice and others you will get to know quite well but each and every song posted will, to me at least be a classic.

I urge not just to play these but to listen to them, soak up the words, that's the point here. It's the lyrics that make these songs great.

Ready for the ride?

trksh-bzr

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/9/09
sure, I'm born ready :) here goes the biggest ever INXS, Kylie and midnight oil compilation :lol1:

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Let's begin with a soul searching look at what America has become. I like Robert Richie (Kid Rock), I have had the pleasure of meeting the guy in person and he's a good man. He put a lot of thought into this track and it asks some very pertinent questions about where America is headed. chicagotransam, the guy who did the video for this clip did a better job than the official video of capturing the meaning behind the words, something Robert himself has said. I give you Amen:

youtu.be/LrJPnoBz7Wg?list=FLMEAbk2iu0GTag-5MXeLFuA

You will need to cut/paste this one, it won't embed any longer, it's worth it. This is one of the best fan videos for any song, ever. So much more powerful than the official video.

sure, I'm born ready :) here goes the biggest ever INXS, Kylie and midnight oil compilation :lol1:

Oh you could not be more wrong! As it happens I knew both Kylie and Michael personally thru a mutual friend of Michael's but you won't find much INXS here. I will however show you a side of Kylie that many probably didn't know existed.
Midnight Oil? Yeah, great pub band but not what I'm aiming for here.

Last edited:

trksh-bzr

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/9/09
hey, that kid rock song was beyond what I thought he was about. eye opening. cool.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Now we all know The Kid's recent hit below, it was the first song ever to chart at #1 on both the country and western as well as the rock charts. It has a resonance with many folk my age and a bit younger, we all remember those days of our youth with fondness when the world was innocent in our eyes, troubles and worries of adulthood were still in the future. It takes us back to a better place. The boat BTW is Kid's own custom runabout.

The second one is what I really want you to listen to, it's in the same vein but I doubt many of you have heard it before. It is probably the best thing Kenny Rodgers ever did. While many of you are not KR fans I'm sure, give it a listen and tell me it doesn't bring back memories of times past in your own lives.

Last edited:

BADWIN BING

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/4/10
The second one is what I really want you to listen to, it's in the same vein but I doubt many of you have heard it before. It is probably the best thing Kenny Rodgers ever did. While many of you are not KR fans I'm sure, give it a listen and tell me it doesn't bring back memories of times past in your own lives.

That's a beautiful song Col and the first time I've heard it. And you're right, it certainly does bring back memories......mostly pleasant memories but, also, some sad ones too. I had a bigger family back then and a few friends who, are sadly, no longer with us.

Life was so much simpler 20 years ago.

I think I'm going to enjoy this thread.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Sticking to the "memories of the good old days" theme for a while longer lets up the tempo a tad and have a listen to an classic Aussie 80's coming of age anthem, Moving Pictures "Busting Lose". "Every guy's a clumsy poet, every girl's a beauty queen", indeed.

Last edited:

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Let us now join Jimmy Barnes and Cold Chisel as they give us a rock ballad about a guy returning to the town of his youth to find that things haven't changed much and what has isn't for the good. This one is an all time Aussie classic beloved of a generation of small town folk my age.

Once again the clip is a fan clip rather than the original but the collection of iconic stills depicting small town Australia is better and fit the song to perfection. Most of the pics look to be from in and around Grafton, a town of some 17000 on the north coast of New South Wales. Take it away Jimmy . . .

Last edited:

frigpig

Ghost of Sales Mod Past
Advisor
16/8/09
Where's this "side" of Kylie vie been so patiently waiting for since you said that? ;)

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Oke, for frigpig we have Kylie and Nick Cave from the Murder Ballads album with Wild Rose.
Not your usual pop Kylie at all.

Last edited:

Steelfish

Hǝɐpᴉᴎƃ ꓭɐɔʞ ᗡoʍᴎ Ոᴎpǝᴙ
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
Ahhhhhhhhh Flame Trees........Always been one of my favourite Chisel songs.
smiley_music.gif

Wow!!!........I thought I was the only one on this planet that didn't own an ipod. The wife has one........but I can never get the damn thing to work.
10_1_118v1.gif

Thanks Col........I'm going to enjoy keeping up with this thread.
respect-051.gif

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Here's an oldie but a goodie you don't hear that much any more, David and David's social comment on LA, Welcome to the Boomtown. I love the guitar on this and it's a great track with a story to tell. Don't we know a Miss Christina and a Handsome Kevin? This is Hotel California a decade later.

Last edited:

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
You should have seen her up close and personal :drool:

miihkali

31/12/10
I've actually seen her live with Nick Cave performing the wild rose. It was in Sweden in 1996 at a festival called lollipop or something. Didn't know she was someone famous at the time, as Kylie wasn't/ isn't really my type of music. Thanks for bringing back a long lost memory back Trailboss. Oh and looking forward to seeing more good stuff from your Walkman. :cheers:

Reactions: trailboss99

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Jello Biafra is a complex kinda guy, so much more so than his days fronting The Dead Kennedys would have you believe. His spoken word pieces have polarised people for some time now and his work with Mojo Nixon is equally as interesting. Here is their requiem for country, lamenting what the genre has become, a water down ghost of it's former self.
"Country don't have flutes" Indeed.

Here we have another Jello piece this time having a go at those who think paying lip service to religion while still acting like an asshat will get them anywhere. Apart from that it's a great piece of honkytonk. The last ten seconds or so is missing from this worse luck.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Since the RMS Titanic sunk 100 years ago this week it's a no brainer to do a bit of New Zealand band Flash and the Pan with their tribute to the good ship, Down Among the Dead Men.

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
From goat breeding to obscure musical pieces - you are quite the eclectic Renaissance man, Col.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk