• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What version of the 42mm PO to use for a Franken project?

Wiz

Mythical Poster
9/8/09
Title says it all, what is the best watch for a 42mm PO Frnaken project? 4th G? 5th G? Other?

Thanks. :)

jallen82

27/1/11
I used a 5th gen for mine, the only issue with it is the He valve sits up higher than the gen, but that can be fixed with a pretty simple mod. If you plan on replacing the dial with a gen, an older 42mm might work out as well because you're not going to see the flaws on the dial with a gen in there.

Here's mine, it has gen crown, tube, hands and rubber strap.

a3d9c756.jpg

I have a gen bezel, but it's orange and i might wait for another project to use it because I like the black better.

Wiz

Mythical Poster
9/8/09
Thanks for your reply.

Is the He Valve a dummy valve on the 5th gen? How could you make it sits lower? Drilling?

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
As Jailen82 said, the 5th gen has the problem of crappy HE valve. I think he means the valve is too tall, not location on the case.

From what I remember after doing a close comparison when the 5th gen case first came out is the 4th gen beats it on most points other than two. The "happy feet' on the dial and the actual case shape.

The 4th has a more gen like HEV that actually works and a better dial other than the logo. Also better ar and better crown and tube. The only drawback is the "shoulders" and lugs on the 4th gen case are slightly different than the gen case if you compare them side by side. Unfortunately, that's not something that can be modded.

There was a half dozen differences that I noted and posted about but I have no idea when or where I did that write-up. The 4th beat the 5th on most items other than what could be the most important, the actual case shape.

And, the 4th came with ETA while the 5th came with A21j, although it is hi-beat.

Danza1813

Tempus Fugit
Supporter
Certified
28/11/09
UK
Wiz,

I found the 5th gen better,

4th gen has better he valve, but the lugs on the 4th gen were noriceably thicker than genuine, the case dimensions on the 5th gen are better and as you did on mine the gen he valve can be fitted, whereas the lugs on the 4th gen cant really be fixed.

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
The answer is 4th gen. But as the gentlemen above stated there are some flaws.

Add that the case has no serial number also...

SmqSub

I'm Pretty Popular
29/12/10
What are you planning to do to it Wiz?

Sent from TK-421's comms using Tapatalk

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
I've been saving my 4th gen for a franken project sometime down the road and it really is a tough decision between the two. But I personally wouldn't put that much money into a watch with a DG 21j movement so it wasn't too hard of a choice for me. The case shape difference is truly one that you could only tell having a gen right next to it. Still, it's a tough choice.

Wiz

Mythical Poster
9/8/09
You're right guys, I should have said what I plan on doing to the watch.

Tube, crown and dial will be replaced with gen parts for sure. Possibly the he valve as well if the rep one is too much of a flaw.

Crystal will go for AR, and hands will be relumed, as I understood the shape of the hands is quite good. Or maybe install gen hands as wll, that's not the most expensive.

Inushuk

Put Some Respect On My Name
19/10/10
no no no Wiz .. :)

if you go franken on PO (42) or UPO (45) you have to do it right : so mandatory are : Gen bezel + Gen dial + Gen hands + Gen Crystal (make a hudge difference) + new datewheel

Then comes : crown +tube +valve (need to be epoxy from inside)

Then : Gen rubber strap - Then the last : Gen caseback :)

SmqSub

I'm Pretty Popular
29/12/10

if you go franken on PO (42) or UPO (45) you have to do it right : so mandatory are : Gen bezel + Gen dial + Gen hands + Gen Crystal (make a hudge difference) + new datewheel

Holy crap!
How much dosh are we talking there?

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
Holy crap!
How much dosh are we talking there?

over 700$ for brand new parts. And i consider myself from the lucky ones, omega parts are going high last few months, if i was going to build the same watch now (its a year since i build it) i would need around 150$ more...

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
To me the gen dial, hands and crystal would be what I'd go for. That's 95% of the upgrade as far as looks. On my v4, the crown, hev, and date wheel are quite acceptable.

Wiz

Mythical Poster
9/8/09

Actually my first concerns are quality and functionnality. :)

The rep crown and tube being of poor quality, replacements are first on the list.

Then comes the dial, because even if the rep is good, it's the major visual element of the watch.

About the hands, if the shape of the rep hands is good enough, I can keep them and relume them. I have the same lume Omega uses on the dial, so no worries here.

About the bezel, to me the feeling is the more important, and the rep feels greats. Sure the gen would look better, but to me it's not worth the extra money. If the rep bezel really is bad maybe I can find an aftermarket and relume the pearl.

About the crystal, the problem with the gen is that the price is just crazy. By having the rep crystal ARed I can have 95% of the gen look for a fraction of the price.

I think I'll stick with the bracelet, maybe with a gen bucckle. I like the look better than the rubber, plus I dont' really like the feeling on rubber on my wrist.

And for the caseback, even if I admire the dedication to the Franken Club, it' a bit too much for me. ;)

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
Actually my first concerns are quality and functionnality. :)

The rep crown and tube being of poor quality, replacements are first on the list.

Then comes the dial, because even if the rep is good, it's the major visual element of the watch.

About the hands, if the shape of the rep hands is good enough, I can keep them and relume them. I have the same lume Omega uses on the dial, so no worries here.

About the bezel, to me the feeling is the more important, and the rep feels greats. Sure the gen would look better, but to me it's not worth the extra money. If the rep bezel really is bad maybe I can find an aftermarket and relume the pearl.

About the crystal, the problem with the gen is that the price is just crazy. By having the rep crystal ARed I can have 95% of the gen look for a fraction of the price.

I think I'll stick with the bracelet, maybe with a gen bucckle. I like the look better than the rubber, plus I dont' really like the feeling on rubber on my wrist.

And for the caseback, even if I admire the dedication to the Franken Club, it' a bit too much for me. ;)

Yeap i am with you for the crown and tube, change them for sure.

About the hands, if you can get the lume correct do not change them, the gen will need some broaching, as far as i know, so safe yourself from the labor.

Agreed also on the bezel, since you get the lume correct again get an after market and problem solved too.

I would suggest though, since you will save a lot of money from the above, get the gen crystal, this one totally deserves the money, but its up to you again.

And yes if you are going to use the bracelet get a gen clasp, its a very week point, you dont want to see your watch falling down!

I really want to see what you will make here :)

SmqSub

I'm Pretty Popular
29/12/10
over 700$ for brand new parts. And i consider myself from the lucky ones, omega parts are going high last few months, if i was going to build the same watch now (its a year since i build it) i would need around 150$ more...

Wow, that's too much for me. Thanks Paps

Sent from the dark side of the moon.

What about a movement swap?
Asian to Swiss?

Sent from the dark side of the moon.

Wiz

Mythical Poster
9/8/09
Yeap i am with you for the crown and tube, change them for sure.

About the hands, if you can get the lume correct do not change them, the gen will need some broaching, as far as i know, so safe yourself from the labor.

Agreed also on the bezel, since you get the lume correct again get an after market and problem solved too.

I would suggest though, since you will save a lot of money from the above, get the gen crystal, this one totally deserves the money, but its up to you again.

And yes if you are going to use the bracelet get a gen clasp, its a very week point, you dont want to see your watch falling down!

I really want to see what you will make here :)

Actually there is a change of plan, I just talked about that build with a friend, and basically I'm now building one for him. Mine will have to wait. :)

madcatlancelot

I'm Pretty Popular
21/12/08
Hi mate, Q5 has used the 42mmPO from Trevor to install gen parts and it looks great. Some call it 5GPO, still, this version has a better shorter HE valve crown and better SEL fit and markings than the previous version...

http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/katt-does-another-105043?t=105043

It's the same as the 42mm PO that I sent to you for some modding, you can probably use that to measure the dimentions and see if the gen parts might fit it. :)