• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

what to Mod on my TAG

livefree

Renowned Member
28/11/12
Hi guys, :wyliehelp:

I'm trying to send out my TAG Aqua for servicing, but in the process trying to do some mods. I am thinking to get Lume and AR, but was wondering if anyone has done these mods to their Aqua? would like to see a before and after if possible or least some feedback on how much of a difference it made. my watch looks looks good to me as it is, but I read so much about how AR changes the quality so much.

Anyone???:wyliehelp:

livefree

Renowned Member
28/11/12
Holy sh$$t!!!!!! Is it norm to spend more money and service and lume then the cost of the watch!!$$$ once quite was $245 for service and $135 for lume. Just need to know what is standees so I can prepare myself for the investment. Little shocked!

livefree

Renowned Member
28/11/12
well, from the info I gathered it seems, it is norm to spend the same or more for servicing and lume then the cost of he watch itself.

So, here is the question... is it better to just wear the watch until it stops working ( months or years I suppose) and just get a new watch or movement when it no longer functions properly ? And if and when the watch needs work done( service or new movement), would it cost the same as now or so much more later? If my watch can run fine for years to come, why get serviced now, when I can do it then is my concern.

I'm having a hard time convincing myself to spend that kind of money for servicing and lume that I can buy a new watch with. I guess, I just want some reassurance from those who know much more about reps then I do help me understand that amount of investment is worth it and what would be the most financially sound route to go about this situation. please help!!!

Ballface

20/6/12
Yeah, any work on watches is fairly expensive since in the case the watch smith makes any mistakes the responsibility is on them - in worst cases whole movements need to be switched (this is pretty damn rare though). That means that the risks are calculated in the prices and doing things carefully will take their time.

I personally wouldn't service a non-modded watch if I got a quote similar to yours. Once it starts having trouble keeping time (reps can last for years and years) it can be cheaper to replace the movement or even the whole watch than getting a service. If it did have expensive mods it would be well worth it, though. I'd enjoy the watch for what it is in your case (especially since it's your first piece) and use those bucks to buy another rep. That kind of money can get you something very decent, look around the forums and see what looks good to you :)

platnumn

1/12/11
Those are normal prices for service and lume. Most watchsmiths actually charge more!

livefree

Renowned Member
28/11/12
What ballface says makes sense. I have no mods and planned on only modding since I was getting it serviced anyway. I'm happy with that watch as is... If the watch does have issues it would be cheaper to buy a new same watch. Makes sense for an AP or if I really wanted to mod the hell out of watch but since that's not the case. Will take my chances I guess and hope it lasts long.

In the case the watch had issues, it would just need a movement swap right?

Ballface

20/6/12
A new movement, yes, or service. A movement swap can be done fairly easily by oneself if tools are available, but it can be a pain in the ass to do (I've heard chrono hands can fall apart easily, and you have to source the right parts). If you send the watch to a watch smith then it'll be no problem.