• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

what "tells" to look for?

powerlifter450

You're Saying I Can Sell?
18/2/09
After reviewing what must be dozens of rolex reps I need to know what to look for that gives it away as rep. I'm eyeballing a submariner with 2836 movement. I know to look for crystal, hollow links, the correct hologram, and the crown engraved at the six position. What about other markings? I noticed that some watches have a very pronounced crown that greatly protrudes from the outer clasp area. Is this new/good? What inner markings do I look for? anything else I should look into?

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
Hmm. Hologram? Well they wear off and you can't see them ont he wrist. So that doesn't matter. Hollow midlinks? Definitely can't see them. Etching? The details on that can only be seen under magnification so if it is there you're fine. Especially on a 2836 model. Height of crown on clasp. I guess that depends on whether you let people feel up your cyclops.

They're ALL wrong when you 'eyeball' them. I'll bet your watch looks great.

(No Noobmariners were harmed in the making of this post :p )

powerlifter450

18/2/09
fakemaster said:
Hmm. Hologram? Well they wear off and you can't see them ont he wrist. So that doesn't matter. Hollow midlinks? Definitely can't see them. Etching? The details on that can only be seen under magnification so if it is there you're fine. Especially on a 2836 model. Height of crown on clasp. I guess that depends on whether you let people feel up your cyclops.

It looks good, I'm going to go round n round about price for just one. probably won't multiorder on this. final question then, what is a noobmariner?

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
IMHO, crown guards and proper rehaut are the 2 biggest tells. The rest are pretty insignificant. CG's can be fixed. Bad rehaut will drive you crazy after you realize it's wrong. Often the "wokkie" rehaut is on the ETA models.

alvinado

Watch Nerd
Advisor
27/8/08
Asia
Crowns Guards, If you know, you can tell it's a fake from 2 metres away! But then again its only 2 metres away and no one will bother except me!

mojako

13/11/08
IMHO, the wokky rehaut will definitely be a very good indication of a bad rep.

But it will take a lot of picture staring to get used to identifying a bad rehaut from a good rehaut.

Perfect example of this is the SSD. Everything is almost perfect except for the rehaut thickness. That's why i sold it off... couldn't wear it anymore.

Dizzy

Advisor - Vintage Rolex
Advisor
Patron
Certified
15/4/07
Western Canada
i gotta agree with the rehaut. must be straight and 2mm deep. noobmariner is good but a little shallow. mbW and wm9 are very good. crown guards can be fixed as the others have said so finding one with a proper rehaut is your best bet. a noobmariner for $69 frmo daytona4me is your best bet for a low priced yet fairly high end sub.. then you can get into a mbw for $350 or so and a wm9 can cost up to like $600. if you dont need absolute perfection then go with the noobmariner for sure. best bang for the buck.

AllergyDoc

I'm Pretty Popular
3/5/07
Example of good rehaut (right) and bad rehaut (left):

3352857206_6c69367b37_o.jpg

You shouldn't be able to read "Rolex-Rolex" looking straight down on the watch.

The good watch is a WM9 V2 and the bad one is a ETA-clone LV from asian7750.com.

powerlifter450

18/2/09
AllergyDoc said:
Example of good rehaut (right) and bad rehaut (left):

3352857206_6c69367b37_o.jpg

You shouldn't be able to read "Rolex-Rolex" looking straight down on the watch.

The good watch is a WM9 V2 and the bad one is a ETA-clone LV from asian7750.com.

Thanks for that, i wasn't sure what a rehaut was.

coop

OG member in the Lou
Supporter
Advisor
11/10/06
St. Louis
I gotta agree with everyone. Rehaut and cg's are the biggest tells. I can live with cg's, but a bad rehaut will drive me nuts!

Tranman

23/1/09
Other tells...
-21J - ticks at 6 clicks per second, swiss and asian copy eta at 8 clicks per second (closer to gen). So on the 21J, the 2nd hand sweep is not as smooth. I can see this but the general public won't be able to tell the difference.
-Lume - most rep lume sucks. Gen lume will glow after just a few seconds in sunlight. This is not an obvious tell, but one none the less.
-SEL (solid end links) should fit tightly against the lugs. Sometimes reps get this right sometimes they don't. Also should not have a gap b/t the SEL and the bracelet. Some are good and some are quite bad.
-height of the crystal can be a tell as well.
-Rehaut has already been mentioned.
-bezel teeth. Most of the reps look bad. not scalloped enough and the teeth aren't sharp enough.
-date font - can also be a giveaway, but the reps are getting better at using the proper font.
-bezel pearl. Most are just plain wrong. You'll have to modd em to get the right.
-bezel insert - should sit slightly below the bezel rim. most sit slightly above.

You should do a search and read up on By-tor's, BLK, fakey, and other's reviews on the submariners. You can learn a lot from those guys.

mojako

13/11/08
Here's another rehaut shot - pic borrowed from By-Tor.

5.jpg

The Rehaut should look like that

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
I saw some guy wearing something. I can't even remember what it was. See that? I don't even care what people are wearing. Anyway I asked him how the lume on it was and he sad 'What's Lume'? I said, " The glow in the dark stuff". He's like I don't know and then started doing that thing where you cover the watch with your hand and said, "Damn I didn't realize it did that".

What my sig says is really the truth. Blown up pictures are fun and all. But no one is going to notice your rehaut. And they sure as hell won't know whether it says anything.

Tranman

23/1/09
Fakey is right of course. These are tells for the finatics of this hobby. They are the differences that only some rep owners can see and tell. But as far as 99% of the population, they won't know the tells and won't care either. they'll just like the look of a watch or not. and most that like the way it looks may not even say anything. A few may say, Nice watch! and that's as far as it'll go. Fakey has a nice post somewhere where he's posted pics of what ppl see at 5, 10 feet away, etc. Don't worry about the tells and just enjoy the watch. :mrgreen:

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
I know that pix as an example is very happy with his frankenracer. I went all evil scientist on that and I'll bet no one he runs into has a clue.

Of course if you want to do the details for the hell of it there's no problem with that. :D

alvinado

Watch Nerd
Advisor
27/8/08
Asia
Fakeuy, you are so right there, as rep owners we are probably the only ones talking about the terms rehauts, crown guards, flushed cannon pinnon blah blah...

Life is great!

coop

OG member in the Lou
Supporter
Advisor
11/10/06
St. Louis
alviando said:
Fakeuy, you are so right there, as rep owners we are probably the only ones talking about the terms rehauts, crown guards, flushed cannon pinnon blah blah...

Life is great!

So true.....Sad, but true! :lol:

dellhd101

7/3/09
fakemaster said:

Fakey, I saw an article recently that said Rolex was not even putting a hologram on their watches anymore. Is that true?