• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What kit is suitable for a beginner lumer

polaris

27/11/08
Hello
I want to get into luming and I require advice on a suitable kit.
Currently I am between Ofrei's
http://www.ofrei.com/luminous-paste-for-watch-hands-and-dials.html#12922
and Noctiluma's
http://www.noctilumina.com/main/kits.php

Various posts give differing opinions on AF luminova (from crap to good) and I am not sure who has the best pigment.
SMC has an EXCELLENT comparison of SMC, AF luminova C7 and Nitrolume
http://forum.replica-watch.info/php...33041&hilit=superluminova+vs+luminova#p433041
And makes a compelling argument for SMC or Nitrolume, but AFAIK they do not come in kit form. This leaves me purchasing a Ofrei or Nocti kit for the mixing bowl, binder, thinner and applicator to be used in conjunction with SMC/Nitro lume.
Can anyone point me to another kit? How are others going about this?

I hear good things about Noctilume does anyone have a comparison with Nitro or Luminova?

What other tools do I need?
Acetone to remove old lume, loupe, medical syringes to measure thinner/binder, good lighting, lots of patience... anything else?

Initially I plan on reluming a 183H. OEM lume is C3? Would that be the "1 gram ultra fine green glow (off white body color)" on http://wiegandwatches.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=76
Although blue or yellow(does this exist?) lume would look hot on a sandwich.

Cheers!

polaris

27/11/08
I have ordered the basic equipment required to do a luming job. Over the next couple of weeks bits and pieces will arrive.

When I have everything together I will photo-document the process

The minimum spend to do even the most basic of lume jobs is around $120USD, judging by what I have ordered. This is not superlume, but the cheaper Nitro stuff. Obviously if you're only going to lume a handful of watches its best to leave it to the pros. For me this is merely a hobby and I am looking forward to the learning experience.

If all goes well, once I have practiced thoroughly with the Nitro stuff I plan on ordering some C1/C3 kits from RC Tritec.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Hey! another Aussie, welcome.Been here a while I see. Good, you have obviously been doing a lot of reading before posting. Pick a cheap watch first for petes sake. Even a junk dial and hands to start with. No point in runing a good 'un learning. There are people here who will help as you have found.

Since you're an Aussie, don't forget the fundraiser for the Vic fires. See the link in my sig below.

Col.

polaris

27/11/08
I have been practising on some old dials.
It will be some time before I attempt the 'real deal'.
Even removing hands is a bit of a drama, they tend to just 'pop' of when I am trying to ease them off slowing.

Later on I shall photograph the inventory list of things I have bought for this project as well as costs for the interest of others.

Things I have learnt so far:
1] Unless the powder is like talc in grade the surface of the lume is going to be rough. Pretty much if you can see individual grains with the naked eye, the lume is too coarse.
2] Another problem with coarse, relative to talc, lume is that when mixing the lume and binder have a habit of separating. You get a layer of lume/binder and binder.
3] Any lume is better than rep lume.
4] It' hard to layer lume flat, has a tendacy to 'bubble' and have depth. It's not flat like paint.

I am tending to think SL is worth it, if nothing more than getting a good binder/lume fineness combo.

Pics will come, but may be a while [weeks] away from home.

trailboss99: thanks for the welcome and I'll be sure to do my bit through the fundraiser or otherwise. Flood up north, fires down south. And when thats not happening we have drought!