• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What is the worst rep you ever bought? The thread to embarrass yourself :-)

chronomate

Mythical Poster
27/5/15
Everybody started. And most of us surely made some stupid decisions when they started playing the rep game.

I for myself bought my first rep in Turkey. In a "watch store" - full of reps, one - as I thought back then - better then the other. So many, so interesting and in the very end I bought the best one ever :laugh:

image_zpsyizhdakr.jpeg

I wore it proudly since I was sure I made a really good deal.

Paid 250 Euros cash for this piece of crap with the totally misaligned dial, completely wrong colored hands and a case that is ridiculously bad made :laugh:

The only good thing about it is the strap. I had to buy a new one as the "original" one broke down one week after I made this deal of my l life :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

image_zpsemfsmaq1.jpeg

Thanks to RWI I learned a lot and will never again fall for such junk.

So, guys, I know there are things that men don't talk about - but I'm more than sure that many others also made similar experience :smile: So, let's hear and see it (most probably many still have the first crap-rep they ever bought, secretly hidden somewhere deep in the closet :laugh:

Ultra929

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
26/9/12
Years ago, about 2000, I bought a Yachtmaster "Rolesium" when they first came out. It was like 30mm and the dial was glossy silver, like a Day Date dial and the paint was faded on the red "Yachtmaster" logo. Can't remember where I bought but it was really bad.

Legendarysam5

Renowned Member
MULTI ACCOUNT
21/10/15
Lol! Fortunately, both of my reps have come straight from here.

Years ago I almost bought a sub off of "Goonb2b," a site that used to sell a bunch of rep stuff but I never got around to it. Did some research, found this place, did more research, and now I'm addicted!!

Jeane123

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/4/15
I have been very lucky, the worst I had wasn't even bad, but I did end up selling it in a week or so after I got it. It was a UN and we all know they aren't the best reps.

sinsir

I'm Pretty Popular
7/3/11
Thankfully I don't have any pics of them, but there were many back in the day... The stories are funnier though.

The first is a two tone quartz Tag I bought in Houston at a major department store photo shoot. There was a "guy" there selling reps at the shoot. I picked the Tag up on the cheap. The funny part is one day I left it at my girlfriend's parents house and never thought twice about it. Years later still dating the same girl and moving back to Texas after a few years away with her, long behold her Dad was wearing the Tag. Apparently she left it in her dresser drawer and he found it after converting her room to an office or whatever parents do when their kids leave the nest for good. He had taken it to his jeweler and had the battery replaced none the wiser it was a rep, and I assume the jeweler didn't say anything to him since he was a pretty well to do guy and didn't want to embarrass him. I never said anything to him either because he loved that damn watch!

Next on the list was a long line of bad reps bought from a local convenient store in in a suburb of Detroit around the corner from my house. The funniest part was it looked like your normal convenient store, but the frequent customers were privy to a secret rep store he kept in a box under the counter! Sooo many bad impulse buys from this guy. Too funny, he even kept another secret box of head shop supplies under the counter!

atgm

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
21/11/15
I bought this GMT Master II from AliExpress before I found RWI. :/

hBTaB6U.jpg

Ultra929

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
26/9/12
I also had a Tag Kirium when they first came out. It had pins instead of link screws. I was at a meeting and put my hands up in the air while making an important point and it fell off my wrist.

I also bought a blue faced stainless sub about 15 years before the white gold/blue dial sub came out. I returned to dealer for a black faced sub. That was my first rep and I bought from a Dr. that sold reps out of his office!

chronomate

Mythical Poster
27/5/15
Thankfully I stayed here for a while before I bought my first rep. :cheers:

Luckily I found RWI before I bought any more crap-reps on holiday :smile:

Here is what I had in the mail yesterday - Noob V2. A really good rep. I gathered all the knowlegde and info about this watch here on RWI.

image_zps23khjyha.jpeg

image_zpsbdrusi0m.jpeg

Thank you, RWI founders, admins & mods for creating and running this great forum! :thumbup:

Luke Warm

30/5/14
Check this out. Bought in Hong Kong about 1996 [emoji23]

e72e2fa7eef2548e975296e9a258826a.jpg

Quartz movement! Very rare.

hublotkingpower

Renowned Member
9/12/14
Southeast Asia
About 3 years ago I bought a Marina Militare PAM hommage for about £120 thankfully I found this forum [emoji23] was such a waste of $$

Sent from my KW iPhone V3

Champagne iH

4/1/14
I bought a really bad Cartier Tank off the streets for about $60. A Quartz that worked but really bad quality and everything about the watch was wrong. Circa 1993-1994. I just tossed it because it was that bad.

What shall we have? An '82 Margaux! Is it any good? Good....?, It will make you believe in God!

scottb57

Renowned Member
25/1/15
My first rep was a GMT II I bought COD from a Craigslist post somewhere around 2004/2005. Yes, I actually had to go to the post office and hand over a couple hundred bucks to pick up my "AAA Quality Swiss Made Exact Copy" with wrong date font, cyclops mag, and non functioning GMT hand.

No pictures because I destroyed it to practice playing around with my watch repair tools a few years ago. Was still running though.

chronomate

Mythical Poster
27/5/15
I bought a really bad Cartier Tank off the streets for about $60. A Quartz that worked but really bad quality and everything about the watch was wrong. Circa 1993-1994. I just tossed it because it was that bad.

What shall we have? An '82 Margaux! Is it any good? Good....?, It will make you believe in God!

Glad to see that you also are just a human being that had to learn, Champagne :smile:

With all that expertise you post here, a still-half-rep-noob like me, from time to time wonders, if guys like you were born with a rep in their hands :smile:

....please treat this as a compliment. I'm really impressed of your knowledge and still keen to learn from you :happy:

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
My worst was the newest Noob PAM390.

It's so close to Gen it's boring.

If you didn't have something to stress over, might as well buy a Gen. :lol:

pe.geffroy

I'm Pretty Popular
9/3/14
A daytona bought when i was living back in vietnam, frankly it's a canal street rep and i gave it to a friend besides the fact that the second was not frozen it was a better shitty rep than the one with the calendar subdials ^^

d01a183f91213f2e0f59fed6c6296481.jpg

Tempus fugit, utere.

colt45gto

Renowned Member
22/12/10
this doesn't even make canal st, this here is pure quality and Rolex them selves should be proud of this study it closely lol, this is a looky looky man spanish special!

you cant beat that for quality lol