• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What happen with my new PPF 5711, What I just found out? and How I DIY protect the Ceramic Ball

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
Ok so based on mottykytu 's experience I asked my local watchsmith to secure the 2 pins holding the clasp with the link as well as the 2 ceramic balls. He used loctite, which is transparent. I hope it's gonna be as resistant as epoxy, we'll see. One thing to note is that the 2 ceramic balls are not just sitting in a hole, they're actually at the end of a spring. By gluing them the way we did, were also preventing the spring from moving, which will add to the friction between the ball and the clasp.

That's not how they work on my Mk v5, they are glued in and work with friction against the steel. so far, no mark on the metal or no sign of wear in that area.
Loctite is a brand, we would have to know what he used, but if he used something like a threadlocker that can only be removed with heat, it should hold pretty firmly !

Tobel

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/7/17
That's not how they work on my Mk v5, they are glued in and work with friction against the steel. so far, no mark on the metal or no sign of wear in that area.
Loctite is a brand, we would have to know what he used, but if he used something like a threadlocker that can only be removed with heat, it should hold pretty firmly !

before gluing the ball he showed me and indeed on the PPF if you push the ceramic ball it goes into the link. I tried and can confirm. Now because of what you are saying I don't think that it's going to be a problem not to have the spring effect anymore. Not sure what exact product he used unfortunately, but it was some transparent "super glue" under the loctite brand

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
before gluing the ball he showed me and indeed on the PPF if you push the ceramic ball it goes into the link. I tried and can confirm. Now because of what you are saying I don't think that it's going to be a problem not to have the spring effect anymore. Not sure what exact product he used unfortunately, but it was some transparent "super glue" under the loctite brand

It'll hold fine I'm sure :)
Yeah I really don't think this fix will be an issue, and if it become one, it'll be easy to correct

Reactions: Tobel

Tobel

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/7/17
It'll hold fine I'm sure :)
Yeah I really don't think this fix will be an issue, and if it become one, it'll be easy to correct

Crossing fingers, it's really a great rep and it's sad that it is spoilt by such a stupid issue :/

bobfrivor

You're Saying I Can Sell?
7/5/19
Just finished the fix with JB Weld. I didn't have any issues but thought preventative measures were in order. Thanks for the heads up!

Reactions: Tobel and mottykytu