• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What a great time to buy a Submariner

marco130

Renowned Member
29/2/08
An early impression. Now that I’ve wound three of these VS3135 movements. Very smooth! Hopefully I’ll have some sun later for some more pictures.

Reactions: Tete

SOLEX

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
30/3/09
I can't even keep up!

I picked up a VSF as it seemed like the logical choice a few weeks back. I am simply BLOWN AWAY by it. Literally needs nothing!

However now I see they released the 126610LV, and I think I need that in my life as I always hated the Hulk's green dial.

Reactions: Meicmo84

eleventibillion

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
21/9/20
NorCal
Great read, appreciate your reviews and its nice to hear someone else's perspective. Thank you for taking the time to create this post.

Subscribed, as I love reading others thoughts on this golden age of Sub reps. Sometimes there really is just too many choices, I have my first modded Sub rep coming my way shortly(ARF with the latest 3135 movement Rolex Sub 116610LN modded by Vac). So until then all I can do is read peoples opinions on what is out there.

Reactions: marco130

marco130

Renowned Member
29/2/08
I started this thread comparing three watches and now I’ll be adding a couple to the line up.

I upgraded a personal favorite (my ARF Hulk V1) with the VSF and because of my satisfaction with the VSF I pulled the trigger on two more of their Subs. One was an upgrade of one of my most recent purchases, the RXF.

Some initial impressions.

First up, I thought because these three (the LN, the Hulk and the Smurf) were all the same manufacturer and the same essential model that they would be similar. One of the three had a couple of differences that I’ve noticed so far.
Aside from the obvious differences the LV and the Smurf mechanically seem similar.
The LN is a little different when it came to the bezel and the clasp.
The bezel on the LN turns a little more freely and with more of a clicking sound.
The bracelet closing and the clasp on top of it doesn’t “click” like the other two.
Not a big deal and I doubt if I would have picked up on it had I not been comparing it with the others.
It’s also not something that could be picked up in QC.
I recall two of the dealers that I have purchased from in the past had told me that one of the first things they did when selecting a watch from their supplier was to spin the bezel. WBK (Stan) and TTK (Neil). I would imagine it was a quick way to check the build quality.
Neither the clasp or the bezel bothers me but if I had to guess why there was a difference I would probably think it was a supplier issue.

The first thing I checked out and was counting on was winding the watches. I was very impressed with the LV’s VS3135 movement (so far) and it was a big reason I went for these.
They were identical. I’ve had them all on the timegrapher and all are great.
One clear difference to me between the RXF and the VSF LN’s were the numbering’s on the bezel. Easier to see on the VSF. Especially in lower light.
The Smurf is a fun watch for me. It reminds me of my blue Tudor Pelagos. Of course it’s not white gold but I didn’t buy it to fool someone. I bought it for my own pleasure.
I don’t think someone would notice anyway unless it were right next to a gen or you knew what you looking for.
The bracelet and clasp are the same as the LV.
I will say the wait was longer than usual. Maybe in part to the holidays and certainly the pandemic. No matter, it’s here now.
All and all I am very impressed with how well VSF are doing on this “roll out” of “Rolex”
I am not particularly thrilled with the 12xxxx series at this point. If I had a wish list for VSF at this time I would like to see a 114 no date before the Chinese New Year.
Either way I am looking forward to putting 2020 in my rear view mirror.

13FAABB1-82F7-4BC0-B053-A076B556CBFA2764b060a72ebcb8.md.jpg

D39910BA-940E-44E9-A0CE-0B8190297FA27cff73f185ec7c1b.md.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Tete and BiH855

marco130

Renowned Member
29/2/08
Tried to do a little observation today. One feature that I look at with Subs is the cyclops. Depending on your taste and tolerances some of you may focus on the date font, boldness, whether it’s centered, magnification, the black hole effect, tinting/AR, other features or all of the above.
As I mentioned previously my eyes aren’t what they used to be. Maybe they were never as good as some of yours are, but one thing I like is the black hole effect.
I like it on the RXF and I thought it was good on the LV.
There weren’t a lot of pictures of the Smurf posted when I ordered it.
Now that it’s here and I can examine it at different angles the BH effect is better than I expected to be. Certainly the blue tint I see with these isn’t an issue for me as the whole dial is blue.
I’ve tried to take some pictures this morning to capture this on the VSF’s and the RXF.
I may try it again at a different time of day to see if I can improve on it.

You may be able to better see the difference in the bezel numbers between the RXF and the VSF.

marco130

Renowned Member
29/2/08
As the title of this thread states, it’s a great time to buy a Sub. I’ve also stated that in my opinion competition is our best ally to get the best replica at a fairer price.

Now that ZF has dropped the price of their LN and Hulk it makes the choice more challenging.
I’m sure that many if not most of you have read Angus’s review. There’s a lot of information in that thread. What do you prefer?, what will you accept?, which would you chose?

I personally feel an important factor wasn’t considered. The movements. Honestly it’s probably too soon to get a proper read on the reliability of the VS3135.

There are arguably strengths and weaknesses of most of the players involved. From what I’ve seen the ZF and VSF are top choices.
To me value is a good product at a good price.
I hope that dropping the price on the ZF doesn’t affect the quality. I think they had the margin to reduce it and still produce the same product without having to cut corners.

In my opinion some of the prices on some of these reps have risen too much. The Noob Daytona is a good rep with a special movement. Maybe some of the cost was to offset R & D but that should had been made up by now. I think it’s overpriced.

With ZF showing their hand with this price drop, could Noob do something like that.

Personally I would like ARF and the others just make headway. Cut the one step forward two steps back game that’s been getting played for too long.

Perhaps with the introduction of the new Subs the factories will move on.
That thought has got me considering the ZF’s as a storage purchase. Buy them and put them away.
Now with hindsight I could think of a number of reps that I wish I bought a spare or two.
The quality of these are some of the best I’ve seen since getting into this hobby. This isn’t Canal street or the beach.

What would you do?

By the way this is a picture of the Wolf Pack

marco130

Renowned Member
29/2/08
A little FYI. When I got these VSF’s in I weighed them before I resized them.

Here were the results

Reactions: BiH855

eleventibillion

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
21/9/20
NorCal
Received my “new to me” serviced and modded ARF today and really could not be happier. It will be my daily for a while now, GMF gmt master II is going on the chopping block, and my ZF GMT Tudor will take a back seat for a while as well.

It really is hard to choose with all the choices these days, movement options, but if you ever get tired of your collection.. highly recommend having someone like Vac service and add something to your rep. Complete revitalization of the watch IMO.

Your collection is amazing BTW, keep the comparisons/observations coming please!

Sharkdawgie

Horology Curious
18/11/20
As the title of this thread states, it’s a great time to buy a Sub. I’ve also stated that in my opinion competition is our best ally to get the best replica at a fairer price.

Now that ZF has dropped the price of their LN and Hulk it makes the choice more challenging.
I’m sure that many if not most of you have read Angus’s review. There’s a lot of information in that thread. What do you prefer?, what will you accept?, which would you chose?

I personally feel an important factor wasn’t considered. The movements. Honestly it’s probably too soon to get a proper read on the reliability of the VS3135.

There are arguably strengths and weaknesses of most of the players involved. From what I’ve seen the ZF and VSF are top choices.
To me value is a good product at a good price.
I hope that dropping the price on the ZF doesn’t affect the quality. I think they had the margin to reduce it and still produce the same product without having to cut corners.

In my opinion some of the prices on some of these reps have risen too much. The Noob Daytona is a good rep with a special movement. Maybe some of the cost was to offset R & D but that should had been made up by now. I think it’s overpriced.

With ZF showing their hand with this price drop, could Noob do something like that.

Personally I would like ARF and the others just make headway. Cut the one step forward two steps back game that’s been getting played for too long.

Perhaps with the introduction of the new Subs the factories will move on.
That thought has got me considering the ZF’s as a storage purchase. Buy them and put them away.
Now with hindsight I could think of a number of reps that I wish I bought a spare or two.
The quality of these are some of the best I’ve seen since getting into this hobby. This isn’t Canal street or the beach.

What would you do?

By the way this is a picture of the Wolf Pack

Great reading. Thx for your invaluable insight.
Have you had a change to look into the new Kermit from VSF? I’m not too keen on the Hulk, but some green wouldn’t hurt.
What about the Sub NoDate? If so, is it on par with ZZF’s?
Smurf looks great, but I don’t like wearing above my pay-grade...
Keep it up!

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

marco130

Renowned Member
29/2/08
I wanted to give an update/observation of the VSF Subs. If you’re looking at one watch, what you see could be a coincidence. When you compare two it could be a trend. When you see it repeat on three it can be a pattern.
First up is winding the watches.
As noted previously they wind very smoothly. One thing I’ve noticed is after a certain number of turns there is a feedback that you can feel. The winding has a resistance. It seems to tell you “that’s enough “. From a totally stopped (unwound point) this occurs around 55 turns of the crown. I usually don’t wind my watch that many turns but I’ve been experimenting.
If the watch is running and has a partial charge it may be less turns to get that haptic feedback.
While mentioning the power reserve, I don’t have specific figures yet but it appears as if the watches will run for about 40 hours before stopping.
I’m collecting timegraph figures but it’s too soon to say how they’ll hold up but so far so good.

Finally I’d like to take this opportunity to wish you all a happy new year. This year “normal” seems to have taken the year off.
Some people give themselves a Christmas gift. I suppose you could say these Subs were mine.
But this year I also gave myself a gift for New Year’s. I had a shirt made that states how I feel about 2020.
I don’t know if next year will be better or worse but I believe it will be different. And different is good enough for me.
By the way I won’t wear it until next week because I do believe in Karma and no day is promised.
“May your worst memory of 2021 be better than your best memory of 2020!”

Reactions: sukwonee and BiH855

mew

18/12/15
Germany
Not a huge sub guy, but VSF is making it very tempting.

Would you consider getting their recent BLRO?

Sent from my SM-G9810 using Tapatalk

marco130

Renowned Member
29/2/08
Not a huge sub guy, but VSF is making it very tempting.

Would you consider getting their recent BLRO?

Sent from my SM-G9810 using Tapatalk

The one I’d like to see VSF make is the no date. The bluesy would be another. Looking forward to reviews on the two tone that is being released currently.

marco130

Renowned Member
29/2/08
Thought I’d do an update. All the VSF movements are doing great. So far, really pleased.
I’ve been thinking about the next VSF Rolex to order. There are a couple of two tone models to include the “bluesy” which I am considering to upgrade.
The thing that’s holding me back is waiting to see what kind of job that VSF does on the wrapped version.
It’s fairly pricy but if the quality is good it would be justified for me to go with it.
One of my opinions of these VSF Rolex’s so far is that they are fairly priced for the ootb quality that they deliver.
I hope that the price that the wrapped are being offered at may indicate that the quality is high.
But I will wait for someone to get theirs to verify that.
As we approach the shutdown of Chinese New Year I believe that several of the models that I await will come afterwards.
The no date is on top of that list but I also look forward to VSF releasing a Deep Sea.
By the way I am moving the RXF presently. No problems with it. Just the pleasure and satisfaction I have with the VSF product.
Today I’m wearing the Smurf.

Reactions: sukwonee and Tete

UkBionic

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
25/1/20
NW England
Thought I’d do an update. All the VSF movements are doing great. So far, really pleased.
I’ve been thinking about the next VSF Rolex to order. There are a couple of two tone models to include the “bluesy” which I am considering to upgrade.
The thing that’s holding me back is waiting to see what kind of job that VSF does on the wrapped version.
It’s fairly pricy but if the quality is good it would be justified for me to go with it.
One of my opinions of these VSF Rolex’s so far is that they are fairly priced for the ootb quality that they deliver.
I hope that the price that the wrapped are being offered at may indicate that the quality is high.
But I will wait for someone to get theirs to verify that.
As we approach the shutdown of Chinese New Year I believe that several of the models that I await will come afterwards.
The no date is on top of that list but I also look forward to VSF releasing a Deep Sea.
By the way I am moving the RXF presently. No problems with it. Just the pleasure and satisfaction I have with the VSF product.
Today I’m wearing the Smurf.

Thanks for your comments. I have a vsf hulk on the way as a result of hearing such praises from members like yourself and others. It will be my first rep, green is my favourite colour. I always told myself I wouldn't get a roley as my first rep but it just looks incredible!

Also on the way are a Lmpo noob and blackbird gf. Seems like the hulk might outshine them all though! Planning to get them serviced for longevity.

Reactions: marco130

marco130

Renowned Member
29/2/08
Usually I’m not into conspiracy theories but as I’m getting ready to watch the Super Bowl this year I was thinking maybe there was a reason that Rolex discontinued the Hulk this year. Maybe they didn’t want to spend 5 1/2 million dollars on a 30 second commercial for the game.
This year is Super Bowl number 55 or as the Romans and the NFL put it.......LV
At least I know what watch I’ll be wearing that day.

Reactions: sukwonee