• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Welcome to the brig - the_one_man_riot

D

d4m.test

Just my two cents...

While the OP's derogatory comments later in the thread were uncalled for, there's a bigger picture here with regards to the actions of others that kind of triggered some of the comments. I know I'll probably be flamed for what I've just said, but here's my reasoning (and I might be flamed for that as well).

Despite what my join date says, I know that I was here on day 2 or 3 (under my original screen name). I remember that after The Dark Side became live, one of the tenets of this forum was, and I'm paraphrasing here, to help your fellow member out with more than just "You see that box up there that says 'SEARCH'? How about using it." The reason why this was is because on RWG 1, 1.1, 1.2 or whatever at the time, that was a favorite saying. The leadership at the time made an effort to communicate that we were going to share what we knew with other members beyond saying, "Search box, noob...search box!"

Let's face it, we were all noobs once. In many aspects, even though I've been on the board for several years now, I'm still a noob. And because some of us have all of this knowledge and expertise, I think some of us have forgotten what it's like to be a noob. Even further, I feel we've lost sight as to what some of the foundations we were founded on, and what they truly mean. IMHO, we're killing the spirit and the core of what we were founded on when we tell anyone, noob or otherwise, to go to the search box. We should strive to help others seek information when they ask for it, and strive to share information when they need it, because we, too, were once noobs. Because that's who we are.

BTW...who has the best Sub? I do. :laugh:

miniatureone

Renowned Member
16/7/14
Just my two cents...

While the OP's derogatory comments later in the thread were uncalled for, there's a bigger picture here with regards to the actions of others that kind of triggered some of the comments. I know I'll probably be flamed for what I've just said, but here's my reasoning (and I might be flamed for that as well).

Despite what my join date says, I know that I was here on day 2 or 3 (under my original screen name). I remember that after The Dark Side became live, one of the tenets of this forum was, and I'm paraphrasing here, to help your fellow member out with more than just "You see that box up there that says 'SEARCH'? How about using it." The reason why this was is because on RWG 1, 1.1, 1.2 or whatever at the time, that was a favorite saying. The leadership at the time made an effort to communicate that we were going to share what we knew with other members beyond saying, "Search box, noob...search box!"

Let's face it, we were all noobs once. In many aspects, even though I've been on the board for several years now, I'm still a noob. And because some of us have all of this knowledge and expertise, I think some of us have forgotten what it's like to be a noob. Even further, I feel we've lost sight as to what some of the foundations we were founded on, and what they truly mean. IMHO, we're killing the spirit and the core of what we were founded on when we tell anyone, noob or otherwise, to go to the search box. We should strive to help others seek information when they ask for it, and strive to share information when they need it, because we, too, were once noobs. Because that's who we are.

BTW...who has the best Sub? I do. :laugh:

Excellent post. I'd consider myself a definite newbie so let me give a rebuttal from my perspective. I agree that shunning questions from new members is not helpful and makes the site feel very exclusive (and not the cool definition of the word) and elitist. However, there needs to be an onus on the new member as well. This is a community ... a community of like-minded hobbyists. It is the responsibility of the new member to read through at the very least the stickies that are posted plainly for him or her to see. These sticky posts honestly cover like 90% of any newbie question. I would posit that if you are unwilling to take the time and read those posts you completely deserve these snarky, low-effort answers. Furthermore, as the site grows we have (and will) continued to gain an influx of people who treat this place as their own personal customer service hot line: "why isn't this TD answering", "what is the single best rep?", "i'm rich and I demand you answer me". It's infuriating ... and this is coming from a member who has been here only a fraction of the time as you.

I agree, that sometimes I see earnest questions that could be answered (eg there's a rep with two different versions both being said to be from the same factory; certain members are saying that only one version is from said factory but when a newer member asks how they know they reply "once you stick around look enough you'll see the difference". Those are certainly frustrating, and it is a situation in which OGs should be helping newbies. But honestly, I feel like RWI is actually quite tolerant. Look at Robbie in the chatbox; he's constantly steering noobs in the right direction probably answering the same question a dozen times every week.

So to try and wrap this up. 1: I think we're more helpful than certainly this particularly brig'd thread might make us seem. 2: I think that there is a responsibility for new members to put effort into their own knowledge-base if they expect other members to share their experience and knowledge in kind.

Just my two cents.

D

d4m.test

While I understand that responsibility is a two-way street, and some of the onus lies on the new member to read, it is also incumbent upon us as seasoned members to point those who seek knowledge towards the knowledge, as my friend Rob does. I don't know if it's still done, but when one became a new member, some of this was outlined to make the noob's initial experience a little bit easier.

I deal with it in my job every day, getting paid to sometimes deal with total dumbasses on a regular basis. But in the face of adversity, I must be a true professional. I must be resilient. I know that's a tall order for many people, but it can be done. When someone doesn't appreciate that resiliency, and decides to go from noob to boob, then that's where Admin and The Brig comes into play.

Great points, and thanks for the two cents...now we have four. A few more and we'll be rich!!!

sub4me

Legendary Member
30/4/06
If he had just Asked TxThrob all of this could have been avoided.

D

d4m.test

If he had just Asked TxThrob all of this could have been avoided.

I'm with you, Sub...but if others had a more understanding disposition towards Noobs, some of this could have also been avoided. Not meaning to beat the horse, but you have to admit, there were opportunities to help a fellow member and Noob, and it was missed. Deal with your inmate as you see fit regarding other matters he committed, and I'll respect it, but perhaps this is a great opportunity to educate others to bring up others who are new to our community.

txrob779

Mythical Poster
Supporter
27/4/07
I don't know that what I said was that derogatory. My first response certainly has been far worse. If it would have been Dil that answered him first, can you imagine?
After all, today I AM The Noob Messiah, gah. I have for gotdamn sure held the hand of many a noob thatnno one else would. I can smell the "know it all" from across the room and I ain't damn sure gonna be kissing THOSE f****s asses. You can take THAT to the bank.

Go in peace and harmony noob :bless: Even though you think you know it all

P.S. I am betting he is from Wales too. He has Welsh all over him.

mydnytrydr

Mythical Poster
25/9/09
Whatever happened to the "humble noob"?.....Are they extinct? If not, they are rare at best.......

sub4me

Legendary Member
30/4/06
BOD, you have some good points and I like the idea of others helping others. I have to say I see many members helping other members here alot. I often see genuine help given when the poster is genuine in his question but I have to admit I am also put off by the who has the best question. The very nature of the question itself is nonsensical and impossible to answer.

I'm of the thought that if a new member is serious about a purchase they would at the least preview what the dealers are offering, compare prices, compare components of the watches they are interested in, and read some member reviews. Then perhaps ask some questions regarding their prospective choices or go ahead and make the purchase and make up their own mind about the quality of the item received.

But just coming here asking what's the best is just like going to any site and asking who has the best TV, cell phone, or clock radio. It's an impossible question to answer without knowing the parameters of what the buyer or poster equates as the best whatever.

When a new member takes some time to learn abit and then posts genuine questions or concerns answers usually come fairly quickly in a positive manner.

miniatureone

Renowned Member
16/7/14
Whatever happened to the "humble noob"?.....Are they extinct? If not, they are rare at best.......

I'd say the humble noob is still present. But you don't notice them specifically because they're humble noobs. They don't tend to make a splash because they're not making stupid posts and arguing with the staff. You know what they're doing? Reading. Reading and searching and reading some more. Then they start to post a little here and a little there: sometimes it's small observations, sometimes it's helping out other new members with directions or with their limited experience. Soon that limited experience becomes more moderate experience and by that time you've seen that "noob" around in small chunks enough that you don't think of him/her as a noob ... you just never labelled him as a noob in the first place because he was ... "a humble noob".

-This was a reading from "The Humble Noob" by Charles Dickens-

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Well said sir! :clap:

I'd say the humble noob is still present. But you don't notice them specifically because they're humble noobs. They don't tend to make a splash because they're not making stupid posts and arguing with the staff. You know what they're doing? Reading. Reading and searching and reading some more. Then they start to post a little here and a little there: sometimes it's small observations, sometimes it's helping out other new members with directions or with their limited experience. Soon that limited experience becomes more moderate experience and by that time you've seen that "noob" around in small chunks enough that you don't think of him/her as a noob ... you just never labelled him as a noob in the first place because he was ... "a humble noob".

sub4me

Legendary Member
30/4/06
[MENTION=11620]trailboss99[/MENTION], I make an insightful post but sure go ahead and give this other guy the credit, lol.

wartchler

Looking Around
3/7/16
Welcome to the Forum Murphy, Sorry you had to see this. This is a great forum if you want to learn about the wrist watch, I honestly believe we as a group know more than 99% of genuine owners who just buy for status and have no appreciation of history or watch making. For instance once upon a time in London lived the very best watch makers in the world... So what did the Swiss do they started counterfeiting watches made in London.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/21/st...tchmaking.html

Thanks for the Link. For me as a Noob this is a very interesting article. The Swiss are so renowned for their watches. It is nice to know how they came so far :)

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

SuprKamiGuru

4/10/15

I'd like to think of myself as a humble noob. :)