• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

We see your vintage 1675, unleash hell

MFK100

I'm Pretty Popular
Gold Patron
Certified
16/11/20
e1156cf4fb6cb4ff38c28d494ac8a420.jpg

be298023dca25239c2b01ef4752a7247.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

audiostorming

You're Saying I Can Sell?
28/10/17
ITALY
No worries, thank you for your time, afterall some of these things work better by trial and error testing..

I think the Milk Bezel is a little small vs genuine, Milk insert is genuine spec so, you have only 3 possibilities, or shave the insert or put the bezel in a lathe and modify it or buy a genuine bezel assembly.
The first one is ok!

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Reactions: schtozo

schtozo

19/12/15
I think the Milk Bezel is a little small vs genuine, Milk insert is genuine spec so, you have only 3 possibilities, or shave the insert or put the bezel in a lathe and modify it or buy a genuine bezel assembly.
The first one is ok!

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Thank you for your input! Yes, thats what i would do as well.

Ishmael

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
31/3/14
What are folks doing to trim inserts? I have a CAC insert I really don’t want to screw up. Going into a milk bezel. From above I see I’ll need to trim the outer lip, but how do you sand it without removing the paint?

deadpan

1/6/19
Over the horizon
What are folks doing to trim inserts? I have a CAC insert I really don’t want to screw up. Going into a milk bezel. From above I see I’ll need to trim the outer lip, but how do you sand it without removing the paint?

I mounted my insert on a crystal press die. I looked through the dies to find the right size (or close to, as I had to wrap the die in tape to give a snug fit-you want the insert to stay ‘seated’ on the die, but able to be removed to check it regularly). Once I’d found the correct die, I then mounted it to a dremmel bit with washers either side to clamp it centrally. I used a combination of hand ‘spinning’ and dremmel mounted (on the slowest speed) to SLOWLY sand the OD of the insert. I taped sand paper on a wooden desk and sanded at an angle. I kept removing the insert to check it. My insert was a bit bent before sanding (was second hand) so it didn’t ‘snap’ in and stay. It did snap in, but due to the bends it popped out again. I ended up glueing, but the above allowed me to sand to just the right amount without damage, and evenly. I’m sure others have similar or more refined techniques. Pics below (although with a sub insert for reference)

Reactions: LetMeHearItNow

Diplomatico

18/8/16
EU

Trim the inside of the bezel instead so that it can fit gen sized inserts. A shop with a lathe can do it.

Id never sand down CAC or gen inserts.

Ishmael

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
31/3/14
deadpan Thanks for the explanation! Don’t have a dremmel though :(

Diplomatico Forgive my naïveté, but if the insert is too big for the bezel, how does trimming (or making smaller) the bezel help?

Last edited:

schtozo

19/12/15
Phat cg’s

ce0f15b1685b6e0688f168cdb68f0856.jpg

Awesome! Dat gmt hand!!! What Diplomatico meant was trim the lip of the bezel itslef where the inserts snaps. In other words dont touch the insert. In my particular case im on the fence for a cac or gen insert because of this. Their OD is 37.75mm~ but the viet bezel lip is 37.50mm~ too small, and my current bezel lip is 37.61mm, seller sent me a pic of the bezel holding a gen insert in place and thats why i ended up buying it, but not sure now, 0.14mm might be too much of a difference between bezel and insert, might fit but it will be a hardtime pressing it. In my opinion 0.07-0.08mm would be the best difference for a nice and tight snap. See pic attached so you have an idea where to shave and take to gen specs.
2b42282f7776df07f3d302002f6ff6aa.jpg

Ishmael

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
31/3/14
schtozo Ah that makes sense - the INSIDE! Duh. Well that would seem the safer route then.

schtozo

19/12/15
schtozo Ah that makes sense - the INSIDE! Duh. Well that would seem the safer route then.

Yep! Imo, of tou have a lathe then brilliant, if not, i think shaving .05mm is easy with a sanding block or even paper... dremel would be nice with some sort of polishing wheel.. in theory we aint shaving, we are kinda polishing. Cuz .05mm is really nothing.... thats 5% of 1mm

Diplomatico

18/8/16
EU
Yep! Imo, of tou have a lathe then brilliant, if not, i think shaving .05mm is easy with a sanding block or even paper... dremel would be nice with some sort of polishing wheel.. in theory we aint shaving, we are kinda polishing. Cuz .05mm is really nothing.... thats 5% of 1mm

For those with Milk bezels these measures are needed (Quote from tripdog):

“The difference in size between the insert and the bezel ring groove was 0.9mm when it should be 0.2 - 0.3mm for a good pressure fit. I machined 0.6mm from the insert recess in the bezel ring, and also machined it a little deeper by 0.2mm.”

Islander36

I'm Pretty Popular
28/2/14
Stogie & Rollie. Just a lazy Sunday. My Franken 1675. VN case, gen dial, gen hands, gen 1575 movement, gen bracelet, and clasp.
1806a9a6c6e483ef1b584c3a6ece8c6b.jpg

Nice watch and good to see another fellow cigar smoker, I tried last year to revive the cigar/watch section but it didn’t catch on,,,

Ishmael

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
31/3/14
Islander36 It's a milk case without the cg's shaved. I'll prob have it done at some point. Although I do like em fat! lol