• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

WBK's Omega SMP: Review of Rep vs Gen

rooster133

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/7/08
Hello everyone, here's the background to this small review. A couple of weeks ago I ordered a nice SMP from WBK. It arrived quickly and with no fuss to Europe. Communication was great, both before and after the purchase, and overall I was impressed with my purchase from WBK. He's definitely a dealer I wouldn't hesitate to recommend, especially to buyers in the US.

To be picky, perhaps the only issue I have with this order is that when I opened the package an intense smell of cigarettes invaded my home, as if 50 heavy smokers just lit up in a telephone booth. But 24 hours later the stench was gone.

The rep cost me 110 bucks plus shipping. It comes with the Miyoata auto movement with the red gear, just like the one pictured here:

007SMP005.jpg

Sorry, I couldn't be bothered popping the back open and taking a pic of the actual movement. But it's the same as that one.

Anyway, I loved this rep so much that I started considering what mods I could do to it to make it better. The datewheel particularly bothered me (as it does in a lot of reps). Then it dawned on me that the gens of this watch are not that expensive, so I picked one up on eBay from a reputable seller.

So, here's a little comparative review between the rep and the gen. Sorry but I didn't have much time to take good pictures etc. I opted for speed of posting over quality of pictures in this instance. I also don't know whether other posts have reviewed this rep before. This is just my humble contribution.

repandgen4800x600.jpg

This is a very accurate rep, and the feel, thickness, weight etc are not much different from the gen.

repandgen11800x600.jpg

The hands are quite accurate, though perhaps a bit wider in the gen (especially the hour hand).

repandgen1800x600.jpg

The He valve is in a better position than most reps of this watch, though as you can see the valve tends to look like it's still a bit higher relative to the "50" on the bezel of the gen. But the difference is marginal. There are also tiny differences in the construction of the bezel (definitely not noticeable unless you take a macro picture of it!).

Repandgen2800x600.jpg

The bezel is quite accurate. The blue of the gen is slightly lighter than the blue of the rep, but overall, it's a good match.

repandgen3800x600.jpg

As you can see from the next picture, the crown is not correct, but it's hardly noticeable.

repandgen5800x600.jpg

The pearl on the rep is pretty good, though a bit bigger than in the gen, and protruding rather than recessed.

repandgen12800x600.jpg

The bracelet is a stunner on the rep. Just as good as the gen. Sadly the links are not interchangeable with the gen, so it is not a 100% copy. And it uses screws instead of pins in some places, which is wrong. Yet, it's still quite impressive.

repandgen9800x600.jpg

There are a few differences in the writing on the clasp and in the back case engraving. But overall, they are subtle differences.

repandgen10800x600.jpg

The dial of the rep is pretty good. The visible difference is the thickness and intensity of the fonts. The writing and markers on the gen stand out more and are crisper. The waves are actually quite good in the rep and do catch the light like those of the gen. The AR of the rep is of course non existent.

repandgen6800x600.jpg

Also, the lume on the rep is not as accurate as in the gen, and it's not always properly centred. The lume is also quite weak compared to the gen, as you would expect, of course.

As for the date wheel, it's completely wrong, which is what initially bugged me the most. But I guess this is moddable (or bearable). The datewheel also seems to be slightly (very slightly) off-centre, especially for some of the numbers. But no biggie, of course.

repandgen7800x600.jpg

Overall this is a truly outstanding rep. I have been picky here of course, and have the benefit of a macro lens. But the truth is that no one would spot this rep when you have it on your wrist. And the feel is also on par with the gen. I am very impressed with what 110 bucks can get you today. This is truly one of the best value reps out there. And with WBK, you can't go wrong.

One final thought: so much for the rep industry being bad to gen makers... This is the third time this year that I buy a gen purely based on a rep purchase. Buying a rep is in the end the best way to decide whether you want to buy the real thing or not.

sconehead

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/07
Can you downsize your pics to fit the screen (800x600) I think, as they're cut off so to speak... :wink:

rooster133

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/7/08
sconehead said:
Can you downsize your pics to fit the screen (800x600) I think, as they're cut off so to speak... :wink:

Sure, done! thanks.

tenshin2002

3/1/09
Very nice review!
Just today I recieved my SMP from Fakemaster, and it looks exactly like yours. Your impressions are spot on as mine so far.
Very good build! I agree, much watch for the money.

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
Rooster you put a lot of effort into this and it shows. This is what I wanted people to think about here adding content. Kudos to you on this and I would honored if you would allow me to award you with a WatchEden coupon for your efforts on this post. I insist!

R2 :D

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
Thank you very much for your kind effort writing this article. Great effort! The flaws are pretty obvious and they are an easy tell for an SMP rep. This may be a good replica for the money but accuracy wise, way to go. There are too many areas to improve and no matter how you do it, it'll be still pretty far from the genuine. As an example, nothing can be done with wrong He valve position. The bezel alone would have cost twice of this rep. Let alone genuine dial, crown, etc.

All in all, for a 100 dollar rep, it still has to compete with others such as Rolex Noobmariner and SD which I think are of better accuracy. However, this watch will still be a classic and a must have for rep collectors.

PS: do consider buying the used gen...

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
takashi said:
PS: do consider buying the used gen...

He did Taka. :D

rooster133 said:
Anyway, I loved this rep so much that I started considering what mods I could do to it to make it better. The datewheel particularly bothered me (as it does in a lot of reps). Then it dawned on me that the gens of this watch are not that expensive, so I picked one up on eBay from a reputable seller.

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
Yes he has the genuine but for others to consider. Used gen SMP is at rock bottom price. I have seen as low as 750 dollar. Use elitedealseeker.

tenshin2002

3/1/09
takashi said:
Yes he has the genuine but for others to consider. Used gen SMP is at rock bottom price. I have seen as low as 750 dollar. Use elitedealseeker.
Actually I´m considering it. I got the rep to evaluate how it fits on my wrist and to get used to it.
A gen SMP cost 2440 USD in Sweden, but I think i´ll end up buying one. Great watch!

RayBelCons

4/12/08
Great review. Great post. Great pixs.
And great comments to the post.
I learn so much here.
Good work all !

rooster133

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/7/08
R2D4 said:
Rooster you put a lot of effort into this and it shows. This is what I wanted people to think about here adding content. Kudos to you on this and I would honored if you would allow me to award you with a WatchEden coupon for your efforts on this post. I insist!

R2 :D

R2D4, wow thanks so much! :D That's very kind of you. I have read so many reviews on RWI, and was glad I could contribute with one myself for once. The coupon is such a nice surprise!!

rooster133

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/7/08
takashi said:
Used gen SMP is at rock bottom price. I have seen as low as 750 dollar.

Wow, that's an amazing price. I paid a lot more than that and perhaps I should have shopped around more... But yeah, if you can find it at that price, then why buy the rep? The gen is certainly worth it! By the way, this is one of those watches that looks so much better in real life than in pictures. If anyone is sitting on the fence on this one, go check it out at an AD. You'll be positively surprised.

EDIT: I did a search, and for less than $1k-1.5k I could only find quartz versions, small case versions and franken versions. I think you'd be extremely lucky to find one of these for $750!!! Where in the world did you see that??

tenshin2002

3/1/09
Rooster: Do you think the rep dial has a more yellow tone on the hour markers than the gen? On my rep i can clearly see a difference between the hands and the hourmarkers, specially outside on a cloudy day.

smc

Known Member
24/9/08
Excellent review! I think this watch is modable and at a starting price of $110 you're not going to end up near gen prices.

rooster133

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/7/08
tenshin2002 said:
Rooster: Do you think the rep dial has a more yellow tone on the hour markers than the gen? On my rep i can clearly see a difference between the hands and the hourmarkers, specially outside on a cloudy day.

Mmmhh... hard to say. I'm looking at the watches indoors as I write this, and the hour markers are perhaps a fraction more yellow on the rep. The gen has more of a light lime colour. But the difference is really microscopic. The lume on the hands of both the gen and the rep is perhaps slightly whiter than the hour markers, but again this difference is really marginal.

pcsam

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
22/3/09
this looks a nice watch for me to start with :D and a great review from rooster made it possable for me to get this :D [smilie=brave.gif]

WackoBirdKeeper

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
23/3/06
New Jersey, USA
Thank you for that great review.

But, the smell of cigarettes? No one here smokes. I have no idea how the watch picked up that smell. Really. My place is smoke free.