• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Watch seized by US Customs

Mrgkman

Known Member
13/8/18
Don't let that scare you in any way. It's entirely up to the officer and port of entry. But it is happening more and more frequently. With the DHGate's, Alibaba's etc of the world shipping all kinds of shit into the US direct to consumer, they've started taking measures to enforce at a more granular level. Their opinion is, it starts with one, and ends up being 10 on Ebay, 20 on Ebay, etc. So they start documenting from violation one, which doesn't mean any action is taken beyond that- unless the bell keeps ringing .

I am an owner in a consumer electronics company and we manufacture in China. Our products require some pretty strict licensing (i.e. Dolby, DTS, HDMI, etc) and we use a very controlled (regulated) spectrum for our wireless home theater which requires government approval by country of import. Some of the shit we have to deal with is absurd, some I appreciate as it protects my brand (however, on a commercial level it's a much higher stakes game than a watch purchase).

Having said that, I have quite a few relationships with the folks wearing the uniform at several levels. I've had direct discussions where I've learned quite a bit about the process even at the one-off consumer level and they have all said the same thing. The more they can show "enforcement" actions and seizures, the more raffle tickets they get towards the free microwave at month's end ;) (not literally, but you get the idea.) . The trade/tariff crap isn't helping as we have someone in the oval office who specifically brings up IP theft in China..so the focus is getting much sharper on these things.

I won't buy from a TD. Not because I don't enjoy a nice rep, but I dont need to be on the radar with my business reliant on importing goods into the US well into the 7 figures which contain 3rd party trademarks I hold license agreements for.

Your best bet, just move on. If Ryan re-ships, don't be disheartened if it gets nabbed again. Then you'll have a pretty good indicator you have a friend in customs saying Hi. Having an alternate destination for the package might not hurt. :)

Great advice, thank you.

If anyone ever had the fear after being flagged, and this kept them from buying from a TD, they could always buy from a guy like BK. That is, if they lived in the states.

This would be the next best option IMO.

BK can source a lot of different watches from whatever contacts he has. Watch goes straight to him, he’ll do his magic “or not if nothing needs to be done” then he’ll ship it to you which essentially takes you out of the customs loop.

Just saying, might be a good option for you? You’ll pay a little more and it’ll take longer, but you’ll get one hell of a rep.

Sent from the RWI App

Repnine7

Horology Curious
3/4/19
Great advice, thank you.

If anyone ever had the fear after being flagged, and this kept them from buying from a TD, they could always buy from a guy like BK. That is, if they lived in the states.

This would be the next best option IMO.

BK can source a lot of different watches from whatever contacts he has. Watch goes straight to him, he’ll do his magic “or not if nothing needs to be done” then he’ll ship it to you which essentially takes you out of the customs loop.

Just saying, might be a good option for you? You’ll pay a little more and it’ll take longer, but you’ll get one hell of a rep.

Sent from the RWI App

Who is BK? What does he do? And how can I find him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

father_time

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
4/2/19
Do you know how their seizure process works? Like how they determine what packages to check, how many they check, etc.

Anybody that tells you they do is lying to you. Otherwise, everyone would be flying packages past the gates with no issues :)

I can tell you from what I've experienced and learned from it all that there's a number of sure fire ways such as garbage shipment valuations, known importers, known shippers, incomplete or erroneous commercial invoices, or specific items (for example, who in the US buys a pair of shoes from China...a little bit of a captain obvious to the jordan or yeezy fans out there). Watches, physical memory cards (SD, mini SD etc), and other certain highly counterfeited mark bearing product types. ( For example, i brought in some media players that had optical, analog and HDMI outputs and the simple fact the factory put the word HDMI on the commercial invoice got them held for months while they verified with HDMI org that someone in the chain was licensed. By the time I got them I had already brought in more of the exact same without the word HDMI on the invoice. )

It can also vary by point of entry and volume. By my experience and learnings, it's a lot less random than people many think.

Last edited:

father_time

Banned
4/2/19
What really? I heard the opposite, I heard that DHL to US is the best option on Reps.

Any express courier is subject to problems, and if you are using their brokers expect nothing and no effort or assistance. We do a ton with DHL and not because we dont see our fair share of customs issues any less or more than any other courier, but because they are by far the most economical for international express shipments.

Repnine7

Horology Curious
3/4/19
Guys what does a TD usually do when a Rep gets seized?

Redfoot

Banned
3/4/19
California
If your dealer offers a replacement guarantee then get in touch with them. You'll probably be required to provide copies of the customs documentation to prove it's been nabbed and if they're happy with the paperwork they'll ship you a replacement free of charge.

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
Guys what does a TD usually do when a Rep gets seized?

I had my 2nd rep seized. Since that time I have bought probably 25 more without issue. I was worried that I would be targeted but obviously that didn't happen.

Just wait for the letter and forward that to your TD. Assuming your TD offers replacement they will just send you another watch. It takes a long time to get all this sorted out, but it will all get sorted eventually. This is certainly disappointing, but eventually you will be made whole.

When you are just getting started in this hobby and this happens it is super hard to take. If you already have a watch box or two full, like I do, it wouldn't phase me a bit. It is just part of this hobby.

The TD's basically overcharge and self insure themselves. The TD's that offer replacement charge about 20% extra vs the ones that don't. This extra 20% easily covers the seized watches and helps pay for watches that get returned because something gets broken or isn't done right in the 1st place or whatever. I would be surprised if the % of watches that get seized is more than 1or 2%.

Vesuvius9

Horology Curious
3/1/19
Same thing just happened to me but I bought from Puretime, my first order too. I just got my Customs letter this week, took about 3 weeks to get. Mine was seized in MPLS. There are options in the letter on what to do, including doing nothing, which is what I'm doing. I'll get the letter to Puretime and they said they would ship another. Just wondering if there are other shipping option than DHL, or if it even matters as far as getting seized again.

Reactions: vcappp

Martycus

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
1/10/14
CONUS
FWIW, several years ago I received a package that had been opened, inspected, resealed and sent to me. No letter, notice or fine whatsoever.

Reactions: Markw040 and vcappp

watchnerd23

You're Saying I Can Sell?
10/6/19
Same thing just happened to me but I bought from Puretime, my first order too. I just got my Customs letter this week, took about 3 weeks to get. Mine was seized in MPLS. There are options in the letter on what to do, including doing nothing, which is what I'm doing. I'll get the letter to Puretime and they said they would ship another. Just wondering if there are other shipping option than DHL, or if it even matters as far as getting seized again.

my first rep was seized too. just got the letter yesterday. my TD will reship, are you going to reship to the same address? do our addresses/names get flagged after seizure?

watchnerd23

You're Saying I Can Sell?
10/6/19
Did you resent to same name/adress or not ?

No, I had it sent to a different name and address. Not sure if that was necessary or not. But this time it sailed right through customs and I received my watch.