• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

watch photography question: reflections on the crystal

• Thread starter d4m.test
  • Start date
D

d4m.test

When I do a direct frontal shot, the crystal has the reflection of the camera. How do you get rid of the reflection? Thanks.
croppedimage.jpg

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
Don't shoot it from a straight angle. Just turn the camera slightly off of the crystal. You can also use black card to prevent the dial from reflecting anything.

noob2.jpg

narikaa

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
15/3/06
One of the probs with macro shots is that youre too damned close.......

I cringe when I hear 'my camera can take macro down to 3mm from the subject':
a. How do you squeeze some lighting into that gap
b. Every watch shot will be a superb shot of the front of your camera

If it must be straight on (worse yet with a black faced watch) then get the hell away from it, darken the room (only lighting being your lightbox setup). And use a heavy tripod and max res.

These are the nightmare shots that do require the right kit. Pocket point n shoots just may not cut it here. (For example my camera can shoot in macro setting out to half a meter from the subject - major deciding factor in its purchase)

kazushi

5/8/06
Try using a polarizer filter on your lens, it will cut off most if not all reflections from the crystal !

BTW nice GMT

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
narikaa said:
(For example my camera can shoot in macro setting out to half a meter from the subject - major deciding factor in its purchase)
My camera doesn't have a Macro setting. :shock:

All good advice, and here's one more bit. Don't use a brightly coloured camera. (light the subject, not the camera)

ps. Oh, and cover your tracks in Photoshop. :D

sub-11.jpg

rawbarZ7

Renowned Member
16/5/06
Or you can use a camera with movements and shift the lens to either side - while keeping the camera flat and film plane even with the watch. That way it will only reflect what you want it to - and you would most likely have a black card or flag there so that it only reflects the shadow.

It's like when you see a mirror photographed from straight on - but somehow do not see the camera and see none of the distortion associated with leaning the camera back to get the top of the mirror. Camera is lower and lens is shifted up in front while keeping it parallel with the film plane. Same with shooting a building.

Or just do what Pug says. Just reflect a field of black - not the front of your camera. Be mindful of reflections. It's much cheaper and easier to do it this way. Unless you wanted to get a 4x5 camera - then we could chat all day :D

RB

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
rbarr27 said:
Or just do what Pug says. Just reflect a field of black - not the front of your camera. Be mindful of reflections.
I'm sure this is one of the reasons Pro cameras are mostly black. :D

rawbarZ7

Renowned Member
16/5/06
Pugwash said:
I'm sure this is one of the reasons Pro cameras are mostly black. :D

My Hasselblad is silver. They even make them in Yellow, Red and Blue. (not sure why, but they do).

I usually put black hockey tape on the front of the lens so that it doesn't reflect back - this works too! :shock: Ha.

RB

D

d4m.test

I cut a hole on a black construction paper the same size as the camera lens openning, put it in front of the camera (which is a silver Canon Powershot A610 point-and-shoot but has lots of shooting modes including manual) and it works quite alright. I'm gonna get a black felt paper to try because the construction paper still reflects a good amount of light. Here's the result with construction paper:
IMG_0853.jpg

replica7

You're Saying I Can Sell?
9/12/06
Pugwash said:
narikaa said:
(For example my camera can shoot in macro setting out to half a meter from the subject - major deciding factor in its purchase)
My camera doesn't have a Macro setting. :shock:

All good advice, and here's one more bit. Don't use a brightly coloured camera. (light the subject, not the camera)

ps. Oh, and cover your tracks in Photoshop. :D

sub-11.jpg

Pugwash,

What is that reflection on the "date"? It looks like a camera. A macro lens that could take 1:1 at a distance would be nice.

I want to take photos of my watches but I don't have the right tools yet. I have read your "cheap-ass light box" topic last night and I found it very interesting.

replica7

TWP

I'm Pretty Popular
7/5/06
I cut a hole on a black construction paper the same size as the camera lens openning, put it in front of the camera (which is a silver Canon Powershot A610 point-and-shoot but has lots of shooting modes including manual) and it works quite alright. I'm gonna get a black felt paper to try because the construction paper still reflects a good amount of light. Here's the result with construction paper:

Very creative. I use a large piece of black cloth and I make sure that the camera is not directly in front of the subject. All suggestion will work. Here are some of my results using the black cloth technique. Also make sure that you use a tripod. Follow all these suggestions and you will find something that works for you.
Invicta12.jpg

Invicta8.jpg

subapn.jpg