• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Watch for my student son?

SteveSS

Getting To Know The Place
19/2/14
My son is in engineering at CU. We bought him a cheap Tag Heuer in NYC Chinatown for about $75. Out of all the cheapies we bought that day the TH kept running until stolen a year ago. He's been wearing a $10 watch since then but it has stopped too. He loves cars so he works part time at Auto Zone for $8/hour. I would buy him another watch if I could find one for around $100. It doesn't have to be automatic but he's not ready for an expensive watch yet.

I have been reading here for over a year but these types of thread don't get much play. I remember a best watch for under $250 thread over a year ago and can't find it now. I remember a thread talking about Invictas on Craigslist a few weeks ago. They are priced right but can I do better with a rep?

zamberla

Renowned Member
21/6/14
What's your son's style like? Is he more of an academic or sporty guy?

SteveSS

19/2/14
Sporty for sure. He loves fixing things. I always knew he would be an engineer even as a 5 year old. I'm 58 and he is already out problem-solving me.

wortman.scott

19/1/15
I'd go for a Breitling rep from silix, there are plenty of decent looking 21j watches on there for under a hundred bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zamberla

Renowned Member
21/6/14
A Milgauss man! A Rolex Milgauss. Its an engineers watch by definition. I think that would be awesome for your son.

Thrasher

Legendary Member
15/4/14
The Beach
Rolex Milgauss!!! 100% agree. of course there is no shame in a good G-Shock. Take it in the snow, Mud, Ocean etc. The Milgauss I would save for quality social functions. Does he live at home or in the dorms, rental with friends? If he lives in Student housing then kids come and go and things get stolen all the time even a G-Shock isn't safe.

SteveSS

19/2/14
Apartment. Kids don't go to bars like I did in college. They have parties in their apartments.

Retina

Respected Member
Certified
18/12/14
i would love a g-shock. robust watch, well engineered and value for money.

SteveSS

19/2/14
I think I will get a G-Shock for my nephew whose graduating high school in a month. He a good long distance runner.

SteveSS

19/2/14
What discipline? Bryce is doing ME. The apartment parties probably have the most to do with girls not turning 21 until their junior year. Beer could be sold to 18 year olds when I went to school.

idinwo01

I'm Pretty Popular
20/4/11
I'm a senior Chemical Engineer. The real reasons for apartment parties are: control of music, cheaper booze, convenience, etc. it's actually because we are all lazy, less to do with age since I haven't heard of a single college student having a hard time getting a fake if they want one. But why get one when you can party at your house? Why party at your house when you can look at watches alone without people annoying you... Haha

But seriously, given my experience with kids of my age, if you know the shoes he wears it would be easy to match a watch.

tt88

㊙️ Time does not wait ㊙️
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
15/9/12
Village, of course
maybe a tomato...?

IMG_20131004_162400_144_20131004163440706_zps0f9ba42d.jpg

:D

rychastings

2/10/10
As a student I try to avoid Rolex since its too recognizable and draws too much attention so I tend to stick to Omega or IWC

SteveSS

19/2/14
He wears boots. Cowboy boots, combat boots. Black work boots

idinwo01

I'm Pretty Popular
20/4/11
He wears boots. Cowboy boots, combat boots. Black work boots

Sounds like he needs a beater then. Not plastic, definitely metal. Something that'll happily withstand some backlash from hands on work without worry. Someone posted a Seiko Orange monster above (not sure on their price), you could also consider a Seiko SKX009 (may be a little higher price than you wanted), or a more in price range Seiko 7S26 or 6309.

Doesn't really make sense to get a rep luxury brand to get the shit kicked out of it. Seems like a better idea to get a work horse than can be a beater than he doesn't have to worry about wearing in the field. Beaters get the most wrist time, don't they?