• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Want a better sub... Work for it.

supermanx

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
27/6/06
I buy a lot of used reps, and it seems they are never oiled and/or polished. You would be amazed what 30 minutes will make. Reps when they come from the factory are dirty... Here are some pictures after a good cleaning and a little bit of touch up with a cape cod.

Compare the dull gunmetal appearance of the rep band, very little shine unlike the brilliance of gen.

polish_1.jpg

polish_2.jpg

polish_3.jpg

WackoBirdKeeper

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
23/3/06
New Jersey, USA
Very good point and very true. I polish my watches and they come out great. It just takes a little elbow grease, some WD-40m and an old toothbrush and toothpaste. What a difference.

repliking

Renowned Member
2/4/06
What kind of oil is used? How is it applied? I have also heard of "smoothing" the edges of the bracelets,how is that done? :D

repliking

Renowned Member
2/4/06
WackoBirdKeeper said:
Very good point and very true. I polish my watches and they come out great. It just takes a little elbow grease, some WD-40m and an old toothbrush and toothpaste. What a difference.

Toothpaste?? Toothbrush?? Tell me more WBK :wink:

supermanx

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
27/6/06
I use MAAS (about $4. a tube at any pharmacy, grocery store, or hardware store)
or Cape Cods for finer work or quick brightening on a "diaper rag" or cheap microfiber cloths. Use dishsoap and very hot water between polishings to remove any grease polish debri. Use care when polishing any brushed watch or you will be rebrushing. For oiling I use 3 in 1 gun oil.

Klink

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
15/3/06
good question
good answers
stuffs available
offn shelfs everywhere..

i like wet or dry sandpaper for sharp edges..
cap cod.. yes silicone lube nice
all kinda stuff out there.. like look on shelfs

if not abrasive to bone
can like do good stuff

jsn

You're Saying I Can Sell?
4/5/06
hmm.. I now know what I"m going to be doing tomorrow to my TTK sub band.

WackoBirdKeeper

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
23/3/06
New Jersey, USA
repliking said:
What kind of oil is used? How is it applied? I have also heard of "smoothing" the edges of the bracelets,how is that done? :D

Use a light oil like WD40. Take off the bracelet and soak it in the oil overnight. Then wash it well, in lighly soapy water, put some toothpaste on it and brush it, and then buff it with a nice new jewelers rouge cloth. You can smooth the sharp edges with a very very fine sand paper, just take your time, and work s-l-o-w-l-y and carefully. Then toothpaste the bracelet and buff it with the cloth again. Then put the bracelet back on the watch and enjoy it. When it gets dirty from sweat, etc. Just take out the toothpaste! I have a tooth brush just for my watches.

Ferrariman

Renowned Member
19/8/06
I just did a "smooth" job for my buddy that bought a sub from TTK. The edges were very sharp on all the surfaces of the band. I used a combination of crocus (sp) cloth (fabric backed, very fine sandpaper) and a fine (stick) knive sharpener. It took some time but the results were outstanding. I also used a dry PTFE spray to lube the bracelet. I have a gen rollie and after the work I did it is hard to tell the difference in the "silkiness" of the band. Worked great. The PTFE spray is a little esoteric and may be hard to find for some. I have had it for years and I do not remember where I got it.

crumpdaddy

I'm Pretty Popular
19/3/06
Can someone instruct me how to smothing on the sharp ass edges on a Rollie crown? I'm afraid to sic mt fingernail file on it.

Maybe my only option is to look for a crown replacement.....

Ferrariman

Renowned Member
19/8/06
Crump. A nail file is far to abrasive. Staying with the nail theme try using a buffing stick. SS is really soft and sharp edges smooth down quickly. You could also try the crocus cloth. Since you are a DFW'er I can meet with you next week and give you some. We could have lunch.

crumpdaddy

I'm Pretty Popular
19/3/06
Sounds like a winner, because I wouldn't even begin to know where to get a crocus cloth man lol.

I work out in the Richardson/Plano area!

Ferrariman

Renowned Member
19/8/06
I'm in Farmers Branch west of 35. How bout somewhere on beltline? Macaroni Grill?

mdppilot

Known Member
18/9/06
I'm jealous, maybe the next time I fly into DFW we could do the same... I'll buy... :p

nfs060

2/4/06
I do this to all my new reps. A little wet sand on the edges and a buff with a cape cod cloth. Nice results. Gen look and feel.

You can also take a step further and use brasso with a tooth brush. Apply over complete watch. Work in a bit with brush. Let dry complety then buff with a tooth brush with harder bristles. Apply good clenser soap and wash and dry. One more step apply some car wax or sratch remover and polish.
Best final results and the metal becomes real clean.
Cost, under 10 dollars.
Time, Under 30 minutes.

Klink

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
15/3/06
That sounds like a winner.. has to make a super difference in the appearance.. one thing I have found is that SS reps arrive very dirty..

Cheers!
Klink
Life is Good!!
:D :D :D

JoJo35

Known Member
10/3/07
Glad I finally found this thread, now I can get to work cleaning!