• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

VSF 3235 Runs fast when moved.

SaltyChief

You're Saying I Can Sell?
24/5/20
Hello, I am hoping someone may be able to help me with an issue that I am having with a new rep using the VSF 3235. I received the new rep from the AD and it is physically flawless. i checked the regulation on my time graph and it runs +2 seconds per day fast. Unfortunately when worn or moved a bit the watch speeds up a lot (+30~ seconds per day). Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? Thank you.

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16
Odd behavior but I would start by demagnetizing it. A magnetized watch typically runs fast but not necessarily slow-fast per your experience.

jeffdodge

You're Saying I Can Sell?
25/1/09
Could be several reasons. Keep in mind, these are watches assembled in China not a legit factory.

Firstly maybe a lubrication issue? The lubrication could move around when non-stationary which can affect how the balance wheel acts. There may also be not enough lubricant which can affect the escapement's proper functioning.

It can also be something is off with the balance wheel and you only notice it when it's moved, as example if the hairspring is bent you'd only notice this when you're moving your watch around (not when it's just sitting there).

And - as mentioned above - it could have gotten magnetized.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Making a balance wheel that is perfectly weighted all the way around and a balance staff that has no wobble is an elusive goal. Gen balance assemblies ofc are much better quality and start off closer to the goal. Through regulation, adjustments and proper oiling, the goal can be approached more closely.

Rep balance assemblies start off with the significant disadvantage of being made much more cheaply. It's amazing that for the most part they run exceedingly well. But it's not uncommon to find one with large perfomance differences across the 6 measurement positions - dial up/down, crown up/down and L/R. Note that COSC only measures 5 positions (not crown R).

So you could start by measuring all 6 positions and write down the results. You can then try regulating so that the results improve in some of the other positions. Improving one position may well decrease performance in another position. So especially with reps, it can become a give and take exercise in which for example your watch could end up +10 dial up and +15 crown up instead of +2 and +30.

Regulating a rep in multiple positions can quickly become a frustrating and time consuming process. Many times the regulation stops with a good dial up reading. I always do a dial down reading, and recently had to settle for a -8 dial up and +10 dial down. When the errors are in opposite directions all you can do is split the difference assuming all adjustments have been made and proper oiling has been done.

Last edited:

gym chan

Known Member
Certified
1/4/18
Vietnam/Canada
Making a balance wheel that is perfectly weighted all the way around and a balance staff that has no wobble is an elusive goal. Gen balance assemblies ofc are much better quality and start off closer to the goal. Through regulation, adjustments and proper oiling, the goal can be approached more closely.

Rep balance assemblies start off with the significant disadvantage of being made much more cheaply. It's amazing that for the most part they run exceedingly well. But it's not uncommon to find one with large perfomance differences across the 6 measurement positions - dial up/down, crown up/down and L/R. Note that COSC only measures 5 positions (not crown R).

So you could start by measuring all 6 positions and write down the results. You can then try regulating so that the results improve in some of the other positions. Improving one position may well decrease performance in another position. So especially with reps, it can become a give and take exercise in which for example your watch could end up +10 dial up and +15 crown up instead of +2 and +30.

Regulating a rep in multiple positions can quickly become a frustrating and time consuming process. Many times the regulation stops with a good dial up reading. I always do a dial down reading, and recently had to settle for a -8 dial up and +10 dial down. When the errors are in opposite directions all you can do is split the difference assuming all adjustments have been made and proper oiling has been done.
Thank you for this, I'm planning to buy gen parts for my 116710ln but still wondering if it's worth the time and money when its running -25s/d ootb. I've been wearing a gen sub and seamaster for good part of my life and spoiled by their performance, so it's hard for me personally to live with an expensive, physically accurate rep with seiko 5 performance.

In terms of accuracy, what should I expect after having my movement serviced? say a VS/VR 3235, 3135, 3186 for example. I'm aware a gen balance assembly will fix any inconsistencies but it's another thing to spend big $ on.

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
Thank you for this, I'm planning to buy gen parts for my 116710ln but still wondering if it's worth the time and money when its running -25s/d ootb. I've been wearing a gen sub and seamaster for good part of my life and spoiled by their performance, so it's hard for me personally to live with an expensive, physically accurate rep with seiko 5 performance.

In terms of accuracy, what should I expect after having my movement serviced? say a VS/VR 3235, 3135, 3186 for example. I'm aware a gen balance assembly will fix any inconsistencies but it's another thing to spend big $ on.
Servicing the movement can help with amplitude — both increasing it and getting the amplitude to deviate less in different orientations (in general amplitude is highest in dial up/down, and 20-30 degrees lower in 9/6/12 down).

But a service won’t change the poise of the balance wheel (how symmetric the mass is distributed). Nor will a service change how linear of a restoring force the hairspring provides. For a watch to keep good time across different positions, it needs a well poised balance and a hairspring that provides a restoring torque that’s linear to rotational displacement.

As @KJ2020 mentioned, gen balance wheels are very carefully poised. Tiny amounts of material are iteratively removed from the heavy spots on the wheel to make it as symmetric as possible. By comparison, rep balances go through 1 or 2 poising steps during manufacture (see pic below where there has been only one correction).

The second thing is the hairspring… on gen Rolex watvhes the hairspring uses a Breguet overcoil to make the response more linear. On reps that’s not possible because reps have a regulated balance not a free sprung balance. Furthermore, the materials used in rep hairsprings are not the same as those used by Gen manufacturers. Gen hairsprings are made of exotic alloys like niobium-zirconium or even out of pure silicon. These exotic materials are resistant to magnetic fields and are very stable across different temperatures. Rep hairsprings are probably made of a non-magnetic iron-nickel alloy. There’s nothing wrong with iron-nickel, but it’s not as resistant to magnetism and it will change depending on temperature.

gym chan

Known Member
Certified
1/4/18
Vietnam/Canada
Servicing the movement can help with amplitude — both increasing it and getting the amplitude to deviate less in different orientations (in general amplitude is highest in dial up/down, and 20-30 degrees lower in 9/6/12 down).

But a service won’t change the poise of the balance wheel (how symmetric the mass is distributed). Nor will a service change how linear of a restoring force the hairspring provides. For a watch to keep good time across different positions, it needs a well poised balance and a hairspring that provides a restoring torque that’s linear to rotational displacement.

As @KJ2020 mentioned, gen balance wheels are very carefully poised. Tiny amounts of material are iteratively removed from the heavy spots on the wheel to make it as symmetric as possible. By comparison, rep balances go through 1 or 2 poising steps during manufacture (see pic below where there has been only one correction).

The second thing is the hairspring… on gen Rolex watvhes the hairspring uses a Breguet overcoil to make the response more linear. On reps that’s not possible because reps have a regulated balance not a free sprung balance. Furthermore, the materials used in rep hairsprings are not the same as those used by Gen manufacturers. Gen hairsprings are made of exotic alloys like niobium-zirconium or even out of pure silicon. These exotic materials are resistant to magnetic fields and are very stable across different temperatures. Rep hairsprings are probably made of a non-magnetic iron-nickel alloy. There’s nothing wrong with iron-nickel, but it’s not as resistant to magnetism and it will change depending on temperature.

Gotcha, so I guess it'll be highly unlikely for a serviced rep to run within cosc :(

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
I would suggest to take the readings in the 6 positions first and see the deviation

I am guessing that if you regulate at -10s/day dial up, you will average out close to zero

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16
Gotcha, so I guess it'll be highly unlikely for a serviced rep to run within cosc :(
Expecting a $100 Chinese fake movement to run COSC for any length of time may likely end in heartbreak. They’re simply not manufactured, inspected, and QC checked to Swiss standards. You may, however, get a decent life and performance from one if you keep your expectations in check.

And a tip of the hat to @dogwood for his superb explanation.