• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

VS3235 winding module help needed.

Pannikin

Horology Curious
19/11/22
UK
I have a VSF Submariner featuring the VS3235 movement. I noticed that the automatic winding is ineffective.

I attempted to obtain a new automatic module but the cost didn't make financial sense.

I could hear the rotor engaging at certain points and missing on others.

I removed the rotor and found a small washer

The washer is just 0.07mm thick and sat at A below. It is obviously enough to interfere with the rotors engagement with B.

I cannot see this washer on a parts breakdown that I have read for the VS3235.
If I reassemble the movement without the washer the automatic assembly functions correctly...
Any thoughts on long term consequences of running the watch this way?

Thanks

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16

i recently encountered this reversing wheel in a 3135 auto wind that came apart. The little levers inside the wheel came out, jammed up the movement, and wrecked the hairspring.

Perhaps that’s what happened to yours.

Reactions: Pannikin

Pannikin

Horology Curious
19/11/22
UK
Mine was a case of the gear on the underside of the rotor was not engaging with the gear at B on the above picture.
This washer/shim was only 0.07mm thick, so not enough thickness in itself to lift the rotor above the gear at B but I suspect that it didn't seat properly around A which meant the rotor didn't sit correctly.

My main concern is that I cannot find evidence of this washer on another VS3235 movement and will removing it be an issue long term.

PsychoTee16

-- Watchmaker --
Supporter
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/3/12
California - Bay Area
I have a VSF Submariner featuring the VS3235 movement. I noticed that the automatic winding is ineffective.

I attempted to obtain a new automatic module but the cost didn't make financial sense.

I could hear the rotor engaging at certain points and missing on others.

I removed the rotor and found a small washer

The washer is just 0.07mm thick and sat at A below. It is obviously enough to interfere with the rotors engagement with B.

I cannot see this washer on a parts breakdown that I have read for the VS3235.
If I reassemble the movement without the washer the automatic assembly functions correctly...
Any thoughts on long term consequences of running the watch this way?

Thanks
I think they have done this to help with rotor noise.

A standard 3235 does not have that washer.

Don’t put it back and you will be fine.