• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Vintage Rolex 1601 Vintage build (Franken)

drvintage

Patron
Certified
21/11/19
Hi All,

several time ago I bought a big lot of a gen rolex and tudor parts from an old watchmaker. There was a gen 1601 case in a good condition - I am actually not a datejust fan, so I have tried to sell this here, but no one has a interest... Okay, if no one wanna buy it, so I will take it to build an super duper franken just for fun.. who know - may be I will love it and this will be my daily watch :)

Part list:
- gen 1601 Case
- gen 18k bezel
- gen xtal
- gen 18k crown/tube
- gen dial
- vs3135
- raffles champagne dw
- swiss 18k wrapped hands
- raffles 10k bracelet

My plan is to use 3135, to keep the dial feets and to use the original screws to fix the movement.. but it was not so easy.. Later more..

Here is the case:

Last edited:

drvintage

Patron
Certified
21/11/19
At the first try I saw the first and biggest problem with this build.. It seems, the 3135 movements plate, where movement holder screws have to be placed is app. 1mm higher, as at 1570...

drvintage

Patron
Certified
21/11/19
I will keep the case gen so it will be not touched..It seems for me I have only one option to fix this : I have to take some material from the plate and make the screws a little bit shorter, to bring these on the right high.. and I did this..

drvintage

Patron
Certified
21/11/19
So.. all parts have arrived so I can proceed here

Last edited:

drvintage

Patron
Certified
21/11/19
I have inspected the case:
- the lugs are very polished from a long wearing.. its usual for a such old watch.
- xtal is placed not correct/not central

Actually the polished only would be ok to me but I cannot accept the crooked xtal/glass.

drvintage

Patron
Certified
21/11/19
So little bit later the case job was done. It was not my goal to refinish the whole case to like new look. Just a little to refresh it.

drvintage

Patron
Certified
21/11/19
I have to say, I am very satisfied with the Raffles 10k bracelet.. the end links have a wrong form and the bracelet is very sharp, but it is fixable. I like it anyway.

The main thing is, the real 10k gold and the end links have the gold applications in the middle. the colour is a little too reddish, but it’s normal for 10k gold. For this price unbeatable.

drvintage

Patron
Certified
21/11/19
the movement looks like the gen one, but there are some difference. The new 3186 is better by my side
3186 is GMT movement. As I know VS3135 is one of the best 3135 rep movements.. better then SH / noob / VR.. in my opinion.

Anyway all of them are very far away from a gen one.

And all of them do not have the microstella adjustment weights on the balance wheel.

This is the best and fastest point to spot rep movement.

Frankierider

yeah !
13/4/24
Italy
3186 is GMT movement. As I know VS3135 is one of the best 3135 rep movements.. better then SH / noob / VR.. in my opinion.

Anyway all of them are very far away from a gen one.

And all of them do not have the microstella adjustment weights on the balance wheel.

This is the best and fastest point to spot rep movement.
you're right 3186 is a GMT but I guess also 3135 . In any case I would find a 3186 for a white Explorer II . It's a very old rep that I bought several years ago (almost25) and I would mod and change movement soon ..it's my first project