• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Vintage R0l3x insanity

CBR

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
2/7/07
Those pics have been floating around for quite some time... The original article detailed the collection and YES they are all genuine.

desmoquattro

You're Saying I Can Sell?
25/7/09
Amazing stuff, but really, that many of the same watch? This guy is like the fellow who packed his house with old newspapers until one day he got killed when a pile fell on him. The difference is this guy is a packrat with money.

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09
Anyone else notice how many differences there are between these in the first photo?

5militarysubs1.jpg

D

d4m.test

our stock stuff may have no special feel before these pictures, lol,

JellyJoe

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/9/09
Anyone else notice how many differences there are between these in the first photo?

Two different dials (the ones with a wider Rolex crown logo 1, 4 and 5 are probably Beyeler) and bezel inserts were made for this milit Sub. Piecing back together a history for that is virtually impossible, considering that frankens are quite common among gens too, specially vintages for which replacements are uncommonly traced.

RolexAddict

Dealer (watch buildings)
Trusted Dealer
27/10/07
It looks like my collection by the quantity, I collect gen used condoms :biglaugh:

Dizzy

Advisor - Vintage Rolex
Advisor
Patron
Certified
15/4/07
Western Canada
Those comex watches are very rare.. only a couple hundred or so even produced and nobody knows how many exist today. Having a bunch would be super cool i guess. Ive been messing around with rolex watches for 10+ years and i;ve still never seen a real comex in real life out in the wild and its possible i never will.

Awesome collection.

dizz

the Man in Black

You're Saying I Can Sell?
23/6/10
I wonder why the collector would keep them in plastic baggies, the lume in those ones look yellow. was this a private collector or a dealer?

danyboy

Known Member
12/8/09
i love those comex watches...even though its basically a sub with comex written on it :?

Dizzy

Advisor - Vintage Rolex
Advisor
Patron
Certified
15/4/07
Western Canada
I wonder why the collector would keep them in plastic baggies, the lume in those ones look yellow. was this a private collector or a dealer?

Ive been reading on the gen forums that they now believe that the tritium dials that are "safe queens" are the ones that turn yelllow/orange, and the ones worn daily out in the sun are the ones that stay white. More and more collectors are pulling their mint vintage rollies out of the safe to find the markers are yellow. This is the oposit of what we all believed before. Chances are that these comex watches NEVER see the light of day except for these special events.

On a different note, I just pulled my rep BCE out of the safe and the 'silver' subdials on my black dial BCE are now copper/bronze color! WTF? I havent worn it in a couple years. I guess dials do change color when they are left in the dark hahaha

dizz

SMIDSY

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
15/9/09
wait so things int he dark change colour? I thought dials aged with UV?!

Dizzy

Advisor - Vintage Rolex
Advisor
Patron
Certified
15/4/07
Western Canada
Yeah apparently the lack of light causes them to go orange. Lots of these collectors are finding that they pull their safe-queens out of storage to find the markers are darker than when they went into the safe. Its the ones out in the sun everyday that stay lighter. Apparently a orange tritium marker will start to fade back to white if you start to wear it daily outside. I read that after about 3 months you can see the difference. Ive read a lot about this on TZ and VRF.

SMIDSY

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
15/9/09
that makes.... no sense lol!