• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

VC222 - in the works for local buyers (from Xing Patrick)

Pinion Minion

World Class Breaker of Movements
Patron
Certified
5/8/22
Texas
Thanks for this. Disappointing for everyone- you especially.

Hopefully one of the factories or Xing will step up and improve upon this one.

Reactions: ZMCoupe

Fazz42

No sell, only buy
30/12/23
CH
I may have been a bit harsh on it, but when the design revolves arround an integrated bracelet, and said bracelet sucks... I would be ready to accept that quality from a 100-150.- shitter. But not a 300.- rep.

Reactions: dk2852 and ZMCoupe

PlastikMan

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
3/8/17
After arround 2 weeks of waiting, the TWF 222 finally arrived at my doorstep. Here is my brief first impression with some pictures I took.

Is it any good ?
I would argue it depends what you qualify as good. But i would say it's really not. it looks nice-ish, indeed, but the finish is sub-par. It feels cheap in the hand, the bracelet catches and pulls on hairs, the clasp is mushy and in my case broken (one of the sides can open by simply lightly pulling on it), the maltese cross is not perfectly aligned, the rotor is noisy (was to be expected, as it's a 9015, but still). In terms of first impression feel of quality, it's sub par to my 400.- gen tissot, even subpar to my 100.- quartz "swiss military" chrono. The closest comparison (in terms of quality) i can think of is the 80.- Casio MTP-B145D. (side by side the quality is closer than you would think. if only that was with a real 222 by it's side and not a casio..)

Should I buy it ?
Well, you do you. But you really shouldn't. Wait for Xing, wait for another factory, hell wait for the gen to drop price in a few decades (it won't).

Conclusion :
I may have had too many expectations for this watch, but again, for the same price I got my V7F IXC Mark XX and it's spotless. I think this rep is definitely not worth your money. In my case it will probably live the rest of it's life in a box in the closet.

mule play

Getting To Know The Place
7/3/13
Timeless Jörg Hysek design (not Gérald Genta as many incorrectly broadcast). Here is a reference link with the 1977 model year 222's. Yes, they came in several configurations and metals.

Quote: "Once production was underway, the 222 could be had in the two-hand 'jumbo' size of 37mm, with a 34mm 'mid-size' case and three hands or as a 24mm, quartz-powered woman's model. The availability of steel, yellow gold, white gold and two-tone finishes across all models also broadened the range, and there were also a few in white gold with diamond set bezels or diamonds set into the bracelet links."

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
Small update, after soaking the bracelet of the TWF 222 in baby oil for 24h, it still pulls hairs and still feels mediocre. (and the clasp is still broken). Sad

edit

as it is steel, use some sandpaper or sanding stick of 10000 or more grit on the underside of the bracelet. Go slow.

Alternatively, you can use Cape Cod.
Only the inside, else you will mush the brushed surfaces

Last edited:

derrickcrash

Known Member
Certified
7/12/20
Small update, after soaking the bracelet of the TWF 222 in baby oil for 24h, it still pulls hairs and still feels mediocre. (and the clasp is still broken). Sad

My advice after wearing it for the last 3 days is ...wear it more often and adjust the bracelet to be tighter, the hair pulling will stop it be once a day. Same with the clasp, the more you use it, the less temperamental it will become and close properly, unless it's mechanically damaged.

Reactions: vcappp and dk2852

dk2852

2/2/22
I received the steel model today. I echo the sentiment of many others that the bracelet and clasp feel cheap. The bracelet is very rigid and doesn't have much play in it. The clasp also comes open unless you close it in a certain order. My biggest issue is actually the screws. They were extremely difficult to get out, and many of them had the heads break off in the process. I was finally able to remove two links, and the watch is a bit loose but I can't seem to get any more screws out without risk of breaking them.
As for the positive, the watch does look good on the wrist. This is a fantasy piece which is a blend of the old steel reference and the modern Historiques gold reference. I can only recommend this for die hard vintage 222 fans. If you want the new gold model, I would wait since I've heard better factories are working on producing that one.

derrickcrash

Known Member
Certified
7/12/20
After a few days of wearing it I can attest that I am quite fond of it but I only care about the aesthetics and this watch definitely has that. In terms of accuracy and execution, obviously it's not a 10, 9 or even a 8 but if it's that what you are looking for, book a visit to VC and put yourself on the waiting list, no rep will scratch that itch no matter which factory makes them. These are just hobby watches that you can spark conversations with your friends and acquaintances.
Also, if it's >= 400USD from your TD, I wouldn't recommend it. You can get better executed watches from other factories. For around 300 USD, I say it's worth it.

I don't have the issues @dk2852 and @Fazz42 have. I used the thinnest watchsmith screwdriver that I have and the bracelet hardly pulls my hair and I do have hairy arms. Just wear it often and it should sort itself out.

All in all, a solid attempt in my book. You can't even find aftermarket bracelets for this watch, and I did ask around, so let's hope this becomes a blueprint for future parts and a new iteration of it.

dk2852

2/2/22
I should point out I used high quality Bergeon watch screwdrivers of varying sizes and had problems getting the screws out. I was able to get enough out, but you can see in the photos where some of the screws got mangled. They are very cheaply made out of a low grade metal.

• Sad
Reactions: vcappp and Karbon74

Fabian.

Known Member
Certified
9/4/19
I'll also wait for a better version of the 222.
Really love this watch.

Reactions: dk2852

pam63C

Supporter
Certified
12/2/23
Asia
Rumor has it that the steel 222 will debut in W&W 2024 in mid April. Hope Xing beats VC to it :LOL:

Reactions: dk2852