• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

V6 what AP are you wearing today?

aksingh

I'm Pretty Popular
7/3/10
And the current generation cousin I happened to be wearing yesterday. I own 3 generations of the rose gold rubberclad and have to say that the current 26238OK is a lot more refined than its predecessors. The price difference though it’s not justifiable as the current generation of rose gold rubberclad is about double the price of its older cousins. Insane.

The original RGRC was the first AP I ever tried on and sold me on the brand in Selfridges. The rubber, tho it got alot of criticism as a poor feature on a Haute gold piece, was a signature back then and I really liked its quirkiness, but then they put ceramic on the ROOs and that has become the new unique USP of an AP for me, so as you say the price of the newer RGRCs are just far too much for this old tech. Still love the OG as a nice nostalgia piece.

Reactions: legend

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
The original RGRC was the first AP I ever tried on and sold me on the brand in Selfridges. The rubber, tho it got alot of criticism as a poor feature on a Haute gold piece, was a signature back then and I really liked its quirkiness, but then they put ceramic on the ROOs and that has become the new unique USP of an AP for me, so as you say the price of the newer RGRCs are just far too much for this old tech. Still love the OG as a nice nostalgia piece.
Yes there was a defect on the original rubberclad ROO. They tend to be peel or be fragile and would wear off after some time exposing the metal below. That had been improved vastly in the newer rubberclads.
I also agree with you that the use of ceramic on the ROOs (like the 44mm you have) made the watch more appealing.
The 26238 series have re-introduced the rubberclad and in terms of the dial color and the new movement/datewheel/layout and the new rubber bezel, everything is a winner for me. I still have the 26178OK rubberclad but don’t wear it anymore as it’s outdated already in terms of the 3126/3840 movement. I agree with you that it has appeal on its own and for me that appeal is more of a nostalgic one rather than something I would actually put on my wrist. It’s a watch I’ll look at and remember a little of the brand history and appreciate a past-generation watch.
Having said that, the new 4404 and 4401 calibers have the issue of the creeping hand @the 9 o’clock subdial and AP has been quietly resolving this issue for many watches being sent in to them for repair. It’s one area which I find the 3126 cal more superior as I don’t use the chrono function at all.
Old or new each series have their appeal. I like the new ROO series for the movement (subdial hand @9 issue nonwithstanding) and for the fact that they cannot be frankened for now, reserving the visual distinction of looking gen, only for the gens. The older series ROO prices, even precious metal ones, have dropped to pathetic levels and I speak for the value of the many ROO sec@12 in my collection. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: aksingh

aksingh

I'm Pretty Popular
7/3/10
Yes there was a defect on the original rubberclad ROO. They tend to be peel or be fragile and would wear off after some time exposing the metal below. That had been improved vastly in the newer rubberclads.
I also agree with you that the use of ceramic on the ROOs (like the 44mm you have) made the watch more appealing.
The 26238 series have re-introduced the rubberclad and in terms of the dial color and the new movement/datewheel/layout and the new rubber bezel, everything is a winner for me. I still have the 26178OK rubberclad but don’t wear it anymore as it’s outdated already in terms of the 3126/3840 movement. I agree with you that it has appeal on its own and for me that appeal is more of a nostalgic one rather than something I would actually put on my wrist. It’s a watch I’ll look at and remember a little of the brand history and appreciate a past-generation watch.
Having said that, the new 4404 and 4401 calibers have the issue of the creeping hand @the 9 o’clock subdial and AP has been quietly resolving this issue for many watches being sent in to them for repair. It’s one area which I find the 3126 cal more superior as I don’t use the chrono function at all.
Old or new each series have their appeal. I like the new ROO series for the movement (subdial hand @9 issue nonwithstanding) and for the fact that they cannot be frankened for now, reserving the visual distinction of looking gen, only for the gens. The older series ROO prices, even precious metal ones, have dropped to pathetic levels and I speak for the value of the many ROO sec@12 in my collection. :ROFLMAO:
Prices on the 44s are now good value yes, tho don't seem to have changed much since the 43s came out, I like the Taupe one and can sell my 44 RG and buy one as they are about the same price in the UK but its not half the watch, and too pricey to add at the moment for me with other watches of more interest at that price point.

The 44s just do it for me visually, I still associate the dial set up of the new 43s as taking from the ROCs and the quirkiness of the 44 layout just does it for me, I suppose because that was how the OGs were on the 42s and that's how I like my ROOs. But if the price of the Taupe falls a bit more I might modernise my AP views. lol.

aksingh

I'm Pretty Popular
7/3/10
Sun finally starting to show means the Cubans can come out too.

51194506417_f803d989af_c.jpg

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Prices on the 44s are now good value yes, tho don't seem to have changed much since the 43s came out, I like the Taupe one and can sell my 44 RG and buy one as they are about the same price in the UK but its not half the watch, and too pricey to add at the moment for me with other watches of more interest at that price point.

The 44s just do it for me visually, I still associate the dial set up of the new 43s as taking from the ROCs and the quirkiness of the 44 layout just does it for me, I suppose because that was how the OGs were on the 42s and that's how I like my ROOs. But if the price of the Taupe falls a bit more I might modernise my AP views. lol.
Prices in general for the older APs have all fallen post covid. None are spared and used ROOs of all kinds (even the newer 42 and 43mm )are selling below or around retail. The Royal Oaks do retain some premium but for how long is anyone's guess. The grey and used market Code 11.59 prices have tanked to ridiculous levels, though AP would never admit this. 🤣
But the newer APs remain pricey, you are right, and partly why I hold on to them... for now.
Each model will have its fair share of fans, but for me, the second @6 is what the ROO should have, its just a lot more refined to my eyes. My days of wearing the sec@12 ROOs are over I guess, but its still good to see wristshots of members sharing them. I hope that the sec@6 reps can be improved and I get to see more pictures of these watches being posted as well, just for diversity. I expect them to have the same usual flaws if they aren't going to replicate the 4404 caliber but the current 26238 reps can definitely be improved over the current releases.

Reactions: aksingh

pam63C

Supporter
Certified
12/2/23
Asia
Prices in general for the older APs have all fallen post covid. None are spared and used ROOs of all kinds (even the newer 42 and 43mm )are selling below or around retail. The Royal Oaks do retain some premium but for how long is anyone's guess. The grey and used market Code 11.59 prices have tanked to ridiculous levels, though AP would never admit this. 🤣
But the newer APs remain pricey, you are right, and partly why I hold on to them... for now.
Each model will have its fair share of fans, but for me, the second @6 is what the ROO should have, its just a lot more refined to my eyes. My days of wearing the sec@12 ROOs are over I guess, but its still good to see wristshots of members sharing them. I hope that the sec@6 reps can be improved and I get to see more pictures of these watches being posted as well, just for diversity. I expect them to have the same usual flaws if they aren't going to replicate the 4404 caliber but the current 26238 reps can definitely be improved over the current releases.
I noticed the Royal Oak 15500 is selling at or below retail for the black and white dial versions at some reputed US grey-sellers. Strangely, it seems only the prices of the 15500 is weak among the various RO models.

I have friends who are speculators and brought the sec@12 panda for more than $50k hoping to cash out when these hit $100k. Now they are licking their wounds having learnt an expensive lesson.

How I hope we can get back to the days when one can walk into an AD, try out the Nautilus or Royal Oak on the wrist and walk out with one and treasured it for the next generation.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I noticed the Royal Oak 15500 is selling at or below retail for the black and white dial versions at some reputed US grey-sellers. Strangely, it seems only the prices of the 15500 is weak among the various RO models.

I have friends who are speculators and brought the sec@12 panda for more than $50k hoping to cash out when these hit $100k. Now they are licking their wounds having learnt an expensive lesson.

How I hope we can get back to the days when one can walk into an AD, try out the Nautilus or Royal Oak on the wrist and walk out with one and treasured it for the next generation.
Yes A, you are correct, some 15500 are selling below retail now. One reason is because the 15400 and older models retailed less and the demand remained strong. The 15500 is a short production model relatively, and replaced quickly by the 15510 after less than 3 years. This should have made it a collectible model in theory but I guess it is a Royal Oak infused with ROO DNA when it came to the bracelet and the market did not respond to it that way after the 15510 got released for comparison.
Like your unfortunate friend, I am one of the guys hit badly (on paper at least) by the ROO market price haha but my comfort is that I got most of my watches through the boutique or slightly above retail. I have been selling the older pieces away slowly, trying to minimize the losses lol. I doubt the prices will ever get back even close to where they peaked before. But such is the collector game. Win some and lose some (or heavily haha). Either way its fine if the watches are collected for collection sake and not for speculation of value.

pam63C

Supporter
Certified
12/2/23
Asia
Indeed, a collection is to be treasured and enjoyed. Having said so, I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed the rep Royal Oaks you build for me as much as my two gen pieces. In this respect, the gen and the rep are the same for me.

Reactions: legend