• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

UPO 42/45mm vs. gEn

SteveG

29/6/06
Enjoy whatever you decide, remember it's only a rep they all have their shortcomings, but are pretty accurate despite that. I've had a 4th generation 42mm PO and sold it due to the horrible gaps in the bracelet. Then I got a UPO 45mm with the DG4813 movement sold that because the crown stopped screwing down and needed to replace said movement (only cost $40 for a new one). Then I bought the 45mm I currently own from Marvelousreplica with ETA 2836. So far no issues and very happy as his does not have the "happy feet", but is only offered in the black bezel/white number variant at this time, so if you wanted orange you'd have to look elsewhere.

I'm planning to purchase this 45mm UPO orange bezel from PT:
http://www.puretimewatch.com/produc...ultimate-edition-upo-on-bracelet-updated-dial

I'll add for: ETA 2824-2 and both straps.

What about additional services he offers:
http://www.puretimewatch.com/category/watch-services/

Time Accuracy Regulation & Waterproofing test $20 each, is it worth it?
How accurate is the orange tone bezel to the gen?

THANKS!

I would say the orange bezel is overall pretty accurate..but I believe the orange tint is supposed to be a little different between the 42mm and 45mm I could be wrong.

I wouldn't get the regulation and waterproofing I thinks it's a waste. People have spent the money only for the watch to arrive with a problem and are you really going to jump in a pool with it? Save it for something else or put it towards that additional strap. just my 2 cents

nycreplica

Renowned Member
14/1/11
I would say the orange bezel is overall pretty accurate..but I believe the orange tint is supposed to be a little different between the 42mm and 45mm I could be wrong.

Can anybody please elaborate on the 45mm orange bezel?

nycreplica

Renowned Member
14/1/11
Somebody... Do you know if the orange bezel on the 45mm UPO is the same tone & shade as the gen?

nycreplica

Renowned Member
14/1/11
I really want to place an order. Can somebody please clarify if the orange bezel of the 45mm UPO is the same shade and color as the gen?

Please help, THANKS!

petrofsko

Horology Curious
17/1/11
Hey ncyreplica the orange UPO from Puretime is good i've got it it's damned heavy nearly the same weight as my gen Oris divers.The watch is already tested waterproof to 50m,so you can swim with it.I'm going to when i go on holiday it's already been in the sink and shower.I thought it a waste of money as they say Our watches are already wateproofed but sometimes they leak,you can pay a further $20 nah.When i recieved it it has an approved sticker on it a huge A in red.So i left it in the sink a while and showered with it must be fine.

angkikee

Known Member
14/12/10
petrofsko: I could be wrong but i really doubt if the huge "A" sticker is a QC sticker. it's just stuck on for the watch market customers as a gimmick? better to test the watch first. mine leaks from the He valve. i'll probably seal mine when i start work on it.

nycreplica:
I have a 45mm UPO with the A2824 in it and it's a very good looking watch. the crown on mine hasn't stripped yet but i'm going to franken the watch soon. parts are in, and i'm sort of waiting for the crystal AR.

i've noticed that the 5th Gen 42mm UPOs have a beveled date window, but on the 45mm UPO they are still staight edged. i think the Gen has a beveled date window. you can swap the dial out with a Gen dial i think. other tells are hand lengths which are slightly off.

bezel is not interchaneable easily. there are articles on the fora that show exactly why so if you're planning to go for the most accurate one you're better off buying the size you want, then franken the watch with gen parts that matter to you. after trawling the forum i've come to sort of spot the UPO tells easily. the bracelet looks different. the links on the gen bracelet have a less curved profile while the rep ones are more rounded. the clasp is a bit thicker cmpared to gen, and like everyone says, the SELs are gappy.

mine actully came with a dented bezel insert, but it's not obvious and i didn't want to make a fuss out of it because returning it was too much of a hassle, especially if i might one day do the bezel mod.

i don't know if the 42mm version takes a gen bezel without mods. 45mm does not if i remember correctly. other than that they all share the sam8e crown and tube parts if you're swapping them out with gen parts.

Make of that what you will. to have a 45mm UPO really accurate i think a gen dial, hands, datewheel, crown/tube, possibly He valve ar in order. this is if you're really picky.

to have a 42mm accurate you could relume the dial and get gen hands and datewheel, crown/tube and He valve. in other words the 42mm rep dial seems to be more accurate than the 45mm rep dial.

i chose the 45mm because i liked the size. i think you should pick one based on the size and style you like, then mod the watch as you go along ifyou're really after the accuracy. i think the other option is to buy a used gen.

Ivorykeys

Horology Curious
9/11/10
I think you are pretty much right on angkikee. I am in the midst of doing the Franken myself and sourcing the parts. I have a bezel/insert coming and I'm going to order the other parts from Ofrei.

Question: You mention the datewheel...do you have a part number for reference? Is the datewheel much different on the REP than on the GEN? That's one stone that I left unturned because I was under the impression they were pretty much the same.

Thanks!

angkikee

Known Member
14/12/10
the Datewheel font is different. you can see it in some of the comparisons. It doesn't bother me because anyone calling you out on the wrong datewheel font will probably also know you've done quite a bit to franken the watch and they're probably an avid watch hobbyist who understands the addiction we all have.

i don't have the part number for the datewheel unfortunately. the 22 on the datewheel is the most obvious i suppose with the font of one being more squarish while the other is rounded. i forget which is which. for now it doesn't bug me so i'm leaving it at that. :)