• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Ulysse Nardin Maxi Marine Clasp Question

melswatch

I'm Pretty Popular
21/5/10
Any ideas on where to get replacement clasp-release springs? Preferably ones that are water resistant - the stock ones rusted in about 20 hours after being the ocean...

cardsdoc86

Known Member
7/9/10
If you don't mind posting a pic, and showing me where the spring is located in the clasp I may have an idea for you.

melswatch

I'm Pretty Popular
21/5/10
Here ya go...one side removed. Spring goes on the screw, screw goes into the hole and fastens down on the inside...you can see the rust it caused:

springcd.jpg

cardsdoc86

Known Member
7/9/10
I can't help you locate a new spring but if the spring isn't toasted try this... Go out and buy some lithium grease, (you can buy it at an auto store). Liberally put it the spring and on the screw. Do this to the other spring as well. Make sure you put some grease around the areas where the screws are inserted e.g. the holes. Wipe any excess grease off and wear gloves bc its annoying to wash off your hands and will stain. Really re-tighten the screws because Li Grease will cause them to loosen over time.

Yes it will still be rusted, but it wont get any worse and will allow the clasp to function as desired. Do this once every six months and you wont have any more rust. ever.

Hope that helps

SMIDSY

Put Some Respect On My Name
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
15/9/09
I have a spare! you lucky man. If you want I'll post you my deployment as I dont need it :D

Arcitecht

Looking Around
8/3/11
At worst, you could go to the hardware store and see what they have for springs, bring the rusted one and find a new one that's similar.

You may even be lucky enough to find something that's stainless, or perhaps coated for rust resistance.