• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

U-42 question

JM79

Known Member
17/1/17
Though my ideal would be a Unicum (unlikely to happen, though the genuine ones are cheap enough now!), I've occasionally thought about picking up a U-42 rep. The only ones I can see for sale at the moment are the 53mm (that's okay, that size doesn't overly trouble me) but with the small seconds at 3. Is this a fantasy model based on the U-42, or did U-Boat actually release such a variation? I can't find one (the nearest I can see is the original 65mm U-1942). Also, the numerals looks a little orange-ish rather than tan. Does anyone here have experience of this rep?

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
It's most likely a fantasy. There is no U42 with a seconds subdial from the quick search I did.

JM79

Known Member
17/1/17
It's most likely a fantasy. There is no U42 with a seconds subdial from the quick search I did.

Pretty much what I feared... though I wondered if such a version had appeared (briefly) at one point. Doesn't look like it. You wonder why the factories complicate things by adding such a feature. Surely it would be a lot easier just to produce a rep of the actual model? I often wonder this when I see reps appear that have a date window where no gen counterpart exists.

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
Pretty much what I feared... though I wondered if such a version had appeared (briefly) at one point. Doesn't look like it. You wonder why the factories complicate things by adding such a feature. Surely it would be a lot easier just to produce a rep of the actual model? I often wonder this when I see reps appear that have a date window where no gen counterpart exists.

For some lesser known brands, we can't really tell how some factories make the reps. If they paid attention to it like some of the higher profile brands like Rolex, AP or Panerai, we'd have some awesome U-Boats. So far only the Chimera would be my U-Boat recommendation.

JM79

Known Member
17/1/17
I do have a Rattrapante rep (the forerunner to the Chimera), which I put on a proper hornback strap. I love that. Some of the other Chimeras (especially the black & bronzes) are tempting, but possibly too similar for me to pick up. I'm at the point now where I really need to limit my watch buying craziness. Or try to... (he says, like any good addict)