• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

TWO DIFFERENT PHILOSOPHIES ABOUT VINTAGES

aphmars13

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
4/10/22
South of France
In architecture there are different philosophies about how to restore buildings. There's mainly 2 big schools of thought, the Italian and the French one. While in Italy a big deal is made out of preserving the matter with all signs of age and clearly differentiating new from old (it must be recognizable), the French school has no qualms in replicating parts of buildings, even if there's no record of how that part looked like and it has to be invented ex novo. Maybe that's why Americans like France so much, that Disneyland flair.... (little jibe 🤭).

I like seeing the signs of time on objects, they tell a story, they convey much more emotion to me than a mint condition object. I read with horror sotries of people sending their vintage Rolex for service and getting back a polished watch. It loses all its character. I love all the dings on my watches.
I don't really agree....but you have the eject button 😂
interventionism in heritage no longer exists since the Athens Convention, and that today we're in the business of preventive conservation, which ensures that monuments remain in good condition. It's a bit like cooking. We don't do it the same wayI love Italy and I must admit that Tuscany is almost as beautiful as Provence.

Last edited:

Feefo

Holding the eject button
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/5/22
EU
interventionism in heritage no longer exists since the Athens Convention, and that today we're in the business of preventive conservation, which ensures that monuments remain in good condition. It's a bit like cooking. We don't do it the same wayI love Italy and I must admit that Tuscany is almost as beautiful as Provence.
Ejected!

DarioM6611

‘Good fences make good neighbors.’
Supporter
6/8/23
Italy
I love the patina on bronzo Panerai. And of course the aged classic watches that sometime I see in shop windows and second hand market. But I hate the scratch on ss case and bracelet. And I am a little paranoid when I wear a watch. Only with homage and cheap quartz I feel free to move around without paying attention.

Ralphista

Known Member
17/3/24
Hello, that wonder that is the Eiffel Tower was not hot dipped galvanized at the time (or even cold, by electrolysis) and today it costs a fortune in daily maintenance to remove, from time to time, the rotten parts and weld them new in replacement. But it's a dream... then if you like it that way... you like it that way. The engineer who designed ( and died while presiding over the works like a hawk ) the Brooklyn Bridge, more or less in the same period, claimed EVERYTHING in hot-dip galvanized metal and the support cables (WITHOUT FURTHER PAINT PROTECTION) lasted over 150 years in the salt air and when the bridge was restored not many years ago they were still in good condition. Forgive the metallurgical digression... anyway vive la France ! Among the Provence’s meadows I would like to fall asleep forever...

Ralphista

Known Member
17/3/24
Hello, that wonder that is the Eiffel Tower was not hot dipped galvanized at the time (or even cold, by electrolysis) and today it costs a fortune in daily maintenance to remove, from time to time, the rotten parts and weld them new in replacement. But it's a dream... then if you like it that way... you like it that way. The engineer who designed ( and died while presiding over the works like a hawk ) the Brooklyn Bridge, more or less in the same period, claimed EVERYTHING in hot-dip galvanized metal and the support cables (WITHOUT FURTHER PAINT PROTECTION) lasted over 150 years in the salt air and when the bridge was restored not many years ago they were still in good condition. Forgive the metallurgical digression... anyway vive la France ! Among the Provence’s meadows I would like to fall asleep forever...
Ah, sorry, Tuscany is much better as Italian cousin . 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: aphmars13

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
Italian cousin

This works too.

I Cant Do That Marlon Brando GIF by The Godfather

Ralphista

Known Member
17/3/24
Hi, yes … it was only a joke … Ex In Provence is a real paradise as I said before and in his meadows I would like to fall asleep forever... Greetings .

Reactions: aphmars13

Jackster

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
8/1/17
Paradise! (SE Qld)
For me a 60y old tool watch 5513 rep has to be aged. Else it just looks weird and like the fake it is

A 14060 has to have a few dings here and there but the dial and hands should be as new, or just off white

A dress watch like an Constellation Pie Pan can be very close to NOS and look credible. i still like to give a cream tarnish to the silver dial, but I barely touch the case. i just try to replicate the slight wear where the watch would rub against the shirt sleeve
My 14060 is 14 years old and to the naked eye is in virtually mint condition, under a 10X loupe of course there are visible scratches etc... and this is how I like it, It has never been polished and I never intend to but I do like my 'things' to be in as good as condition as possible. My wife on the other hand treats 'things' like s**t and when I mention it she just say "Meh, it's just a thing!" .... Drives me freakin' nuts! 🤣

aphmars13

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
4/10/22
South of France
I love the traces of life on objects and buildings. As for my preferences, nothing is set in stone. It's like a woman, I look at her and either I like her or I don't. (I've only had one, though, for a long time, so I don't collect them).😂

Reactions: Jackster

aphmars13

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
4/10/22
South of France
My 14060 is 14 years old and to the naked eye is in virtually mint condition, under a 10X loupe of course there are visible scratches etc... and this is how I like it, It has never been polished and I never intend to but I do like my 'things' to be in as good as condition as possible. My wife on the other hand treats 'things' like s**t and when I mention it she just say "Meh, it's just a thing!" .... Drives me freakin' nuts! 🤣
The legendary delicacy of women 😂

Reactions: Karbon74

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region

TBH, I am the same and she is the same. 😅
I love the patina of old watches, and I love making my builds look like that…but on modern watches rep or gen, they keep in a box and under my shirt cuff

My wife just puts her watches, all gen, wherever…including in the keys basket 😱

Andy83n

Patron
1/3/20
Jersey
If its a vintage watch that will be worn, it should have some patina.
If it's going into a collection, then no.

And the correct answer is Tuscany for food and red wine. Provence for beaches and Rosé - although the Chateau Minuty Prestige Rouge does run some of the Brunello's very close.

• Love
Reactions: Dave2302