• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

TWO DIFFERENT PHILOSOPHIES ABOUT VINTAGES

Ralphista

Known Member
17/3/24
HI, everyone . I don’t know why but I wish to share with you my opinion about vintage watches . I'll start by saying my modest and laughable thinking about vintage watches is the same I have for vintage cars that are my first and peerless love . If I buy a vintage car I want it’s like the new of the era, and I’ll restore it I’ll operate with rigorously appropriate vintage material of the car . But, for example, I’ll make a hot dip galvanizing of the body/frame and of the entire bodywork to avoid hated rust was, and is, always existing on vintage cars unless they are made of aluminium . The result I’ll obtain is a the highest grade 2 quotation . Grade 1 is a like new conserved vintage car ( we call it “encapsulated” ), practically impossible to find .
About watches I think the same thing and, about the genuine ones market, is the same thing . For example a friend of mine has recently bought a vintage pre-Daytona ( please, don’t ask me reference number because I’m completely ignorant but, above all, forgetful about them unless 90’s, 2000’s and 2010’s decades ) on my alert . He, and me too, have wanted to verify about his absolute authenticity because the seller declared it as: “never restored” and “practically never used in the spending of time” . The result was it was a real “encapsulated ” . He has bought at same prices of others with deep time’s marks only because all others potential buyers doubted it was really unused and the seller did not want entrust him’s to a dealer . It went with his original box and papers in museum’s conditions .
I understand a lived-in watch with signs of aging is more “credible” , I too love as all of you yellow indexes on vintage Rollies and Omega watches but, replicas aside, it means that the watch has been used a lot and continuative exposure to sun’s uv rays has caused tritium’s molecules explosion . So, in the genuine market, has more valor an unused watch with white or slightly yellowed markers . And, for my 2 vintages frankens, I bought original new dials and parts without aging process . Then, for God's sake, everyone has their own tastes and perhaps the world is beautiful for this reason too. Sorry for the length but I wanted to tell you my thought on the matter. Thanks always. . Have a nice day you all .

Feefo

Holding the eject button
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/5/22
EU
In architecture there are different philosophies about how to restore buildings. There's mainly 2 big schools of thought, the Italian and the French one. While in Italy a big deal is made out of preserving the matter with all signs of age and clearly differentiating new from old (it must be recognizable), the French school has no qualms in replicating parts of buildings, even if there's no record of how that part looked like and it has to be invented ex novo. Maybe that's why Americans like France so much, that Disneyland flair.... (little jibe 🤭).

I like seeing the signs of time on objects, they tell a story, they convey much more emotion to me than a mint condition object. I read with horror sotries of people sending their vintage Rolex for service and getting back a polished watch. It loses all its character. I love all the dings on my watches.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
I like seeing the signs of time on objects, they tell a story, they convey much more emotion to me than a mint condition object. I read with horror sotries of people sending their vintage Rolex for service and getting back a polished watch. It loses all its character. I love all the dings on my watches.
I'm with you. Shiny NOS things have far less appeal to me. And the so-called service Rolex does for its customers is tantamount to vandalism.

But these days, you have to pay a LOT of money if you want authentic wear and tear. And a lot of the time it's hard to even tell if you're buying real original wear and tear. It's a risky area of collecting!

That's partly why I also enjoy taking a shiny new "vintage" rep and making it look like a 50, 60 year old watch (to the best of my meagre abilities) by shaking the parts up in a box of screws and rocks and re-polishing, and giving the dial/hands/insert etc. an aged patina.

And to similar ends I've recently discovered the fun of making a new guitar a "relic" guitar.

I get myself something that looks the part, at a fraction of the cost - and I know exactly where it came from!

Last edited:

Andrew_watchlist

Supporter
28/4/24
I'm with you. Shiny NOS things have far less appeal to me. And the so-called service Rolex does for its customers is tantamount to vandalism.
Indeed, the same mindset applies to one of my other interests, guitar amps, sending a vintage Marshall to well, Marshall is the last thing one would do. They would ‘service it’ and destroy it in the process.

Reactions: p0pperini

Ralphista

Known Member
17/3/24
Hi, guys . As I said it’s only my modest preference . Kind greetings .
… and the ideal thing, as for cars as to watches ( always only in my modest opinion ) is to find a N.O.S. ( or a conserved like new or in optimal conditions) . Obviously about cars I search every time something at least in optimal condition in all E.U. ( in fact it has more valor of a perfectly restored one ) . I make only as most possible conservative restorations but, if for example a part is completely rotten with rust and unrecoverable, I substitute it with a genuine N.O.S. or, if I don’t find it, with a genuine classic’s department of the mother house’s car one . My was only an example referred to a genuine’s market . Anyway if I had an authentic vintage Rolex in bad conditions I would have it restored at Rolex House 😂 . What do can I do about this my, maybe insane, way of thinking 😅 ? Thanks all for your replies and greetings from Italy .

Ralphista

Known Member
17/3/24
… and the ideal thing, as for cars as to watches ( always only in my modest opinion ) is to find a N.O.S. ( or a conserved like new or in optimal conditions) . Obviously about cars I search every time something at least in optimal condition in all E.U. ( in fact it has more valor of a perfectly restored one ) . I make only as most possible conservative restorations but, if for example a part is completely rotten with rust and unrecoverable, I substitute it with a genuine N.O.S. or, if I don’t find it, with a genuine classic’s department of the mother house’s car one . My was only an example referred to a genuine’s market . Anyway if I had an authentic vintage Rolex in bad conditions I would have it restored at Rolex House 😂 . What do can I do about this my, maybe insane, way of thinking 😅 ? Thanks all for your replies and greetings from Italy .
Sorry about grammatical mistakes dictated by haste.

Feefo

Holding the eject button
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/5/22
EU
Non te sta a preoccupà de due errorucci. You're entitled to your opinion and preferences, and what counts is the way you enjoy it.

Horology Curious
31/5/19
I love vintage watches especially Omega, Longines and Universal. However, NOS are three magic letters to me and I have no interest in scratches or dents people call character because watches don't tell any story and to me they only tell time.

Ralphista

Known Member
17/3/24
Non te sta a preoccupà de due errorucci. You're entitled to your opinion and preferences, and what counts is the way you enjoy it.
😄Grazie, amico mio ( se posso permettermi in senso ampio pur non conoscendoci che qui ) .

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
For me a 60y old tool watch 5513 rep has to be aged. Else it just looks weird and like the fake it is

A 14060 has to have a few dings here and there but the dial and hands should be as new, or just off white

A dress watch like an Constellation Pie Pan can be very close to NOS and look credible. i still like to give a cream tarnish to the silver dial, but I barely touch the case. i just try to replicate the slight wear where the watch would rub against the shirt sleeve

Last edited:

Ralphista

Known Member
17/3/24
Beh, it should be said that, when I made my frankens, one would have been as genuine 12 years old and the other 14... however shortly afterwards I also bought a B.&M chronograph. from the 1940s, really used very little, with box and accompanying document from the time, really at least in excellent condition. I'm not saying like new but almost, including papers and box . Greetings .

Ralphista

Known Member
17/3/24
Beh, it should be said that, when I made my frankens, one would have been as genuine 12 years old and the other 14... however shortly afterwards I also bought a B.&M chronograph. from the 1940s, really used very little, with box and accompanying document from the time, really at least in excellent condition. I'm not saying like new but almost, including papers and box . Greetings .
Sorry :

….. “one would be “if”a genuine one…

RDRoss

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
28/5/19
It’s funny, I collect vintage pieces because of the stories age tells. New watches lack history and interest to me. But, as they say, that’s just me.

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
It’s funny, I collect vintage pieces because of the stories age tells. New watches lack history and interest to me. But, as they say, that’s just me.

Same same.
I am ok with modern watches too but I need them to have a lineage. The DJ or the YM do nothing to me, but the Daytona Explorer and Sub yes.

I love the Constellation PiePan, I cannot stand the modern Constellation with the 4 claws

Reactions: RDRoss

RDRoss

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
28/5/19
Same same.
I am ok with modern watches too but I need them to have a lineage. The DJ or the YM do nothing to me, but the Daytona Explorer and Sub yes.

I love the Constellation PiePan, I cannot stand the modern Constellation with the 4 claws
I love my vintage DJ. My first Rolex I bought to wear with suits when I was much younger. The also love the way older Tudors seem to age.

I agree on the old sports models, they really show their age well. They are rockstars. I also think the constellations of yesteryear have aged to perfection. The new ones are… disappointing at best and embarrassing at worst. Some of the modem devilles (I suspect) will age well though.

Reactions: Karbon74

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
The trend with modern watches is to make them resilient to age. The Sub as an example. That ceramic insert will never move…and very few people use Rolexes as tools now.

That said, I build aged watches but I feel sad each time I see a new scratch on my Santos…go figure 😂

RDRoss

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
28/5/19
I treat my 100xl like a sport watch and don’t care much about whacking it. Not sure why but I figure anything that chunky can take it. 🤣

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Karbon74